Sponsored

B&O Unleashed Upgrade DIY Thread (Sub & Amplification)

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
Figured I'd post and update and note come changes I made from my original design... My first design was centered around the NavTV Zen which is super-common to F150 update applications yet lacks any features for channel cross-over or time delay so there's no accommodating these needs with the setup I started with. Taking this into account I switched to the mObridge DA-G2.PRO A2B FORD PREAMP & DSP, which accommodates 12-channels of independently configurable audio output. As I already had non-DSP quality audio amplifiers I figured this was an easier route than upgrading to DSP configurable amplifiers. The added benefit is that all control is in one interface rather than being dispersed across multiple amps.
20221207_151208.jpg
20221204_214155.jpg
By using the MoBridge, were you able to retain the use of the existing speaker wiring? Or you need to run all new wiring for the speakers? thanks

Also, did you end up using the DSP in the mobridge and/or the audio control? both?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Adding the mObridge DSP also allowed me to reallocate my amplifier channels more effectively routing the higher-power channels to the speakers that could use it and better-balancing the system.

Unleashed Re-amp DSP (Large).jpg
Your diagram shows a channel coming out of the 6.1200 and going to the left overhead mid, and both left chnnels in the headreset (there's a symmetric channel for the right side)
How does that work? speakers in series/parallel?

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
This is one of the best threads I have read on here. Insane amount of information. Thank you!

You mentioned in the current setup that you moved some speakers/amplifaction around to provide more speakers to the ones that can handle it. For us lay folk, which speakers can take the most amplification?

Also am I reading the diagram correct in that you are running a 3-way active front and no center fill?

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
The speakers are all independently wired, I'm simply running the overheads and headrests in parallel as I had to combine some of the 18-speakers to get down to the 12 DSP outputs.
Thank you for this great information. Could you please describe how you connected and routed the power and ground. Did you use the passenger side grommet through the firewall (hopefully that is the correct term)? If so, how did you route the cable(s) from the grommet through the inside of the vehicle? I briefly looked there and it wasn't obvious.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
dwasill

dwasill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 701A
By using the MoBridge, were you able to retain the use of the existing speaker wiring? Or you need to run all new wiring for the speakers? thanks

Also, did you end up using the DSP in the mobridge and/or the audio control? both?
For either A2B interface you can use the existing speaker wiring. The PAC & "Sounds Good" harnesses let's you tap into them. I am using the DSP in the mObridge Pro as I wanted the ability to time-delay each speaker set appropriately. The only speakers I couldn't individually set are the overheads and headrest speakers that are running in parallel on the same output channels. I gave timing preference to the headrest tweeters figuring they'd be the most noticeable.

OP
OP
dwasill

dwasill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 701A
Thank you for this great information. Could you please describe how you connected and routed the power and ground. Did you use the passenger side grommet through the firewall (hopefully that is the correct term)? If so, how did you route the cable(s) from the grommet through the inside of the vehicle? I briefly looked there and it wasn't obvious.
Admittedly I'm using chassis ground (seatbelt bolt) but I did run an extra O-gauge jumper between battery ground and the chassis in the engine compartment. For the positive lead there's a hole in the firewall on the lower passenger side that I routed through then routed inside along the passenger's side under the step plates then around under the back seat.

Ford F-150 B&O Unleashed Upgrade DIY Thread (Sub & Amplification) IMG_20220705_103023

Ford F-150 B&O Unleashed Upgrade DIY Thread (Sub & Amplification) 20221207_105543

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've seen dozens of threads commenting, talking and complaining about the B&O Stereo Systems available on the 2021+ F150s but none that give the information really needed to tackle a complete amplification upgrade of the 18-speaker system. I bought my 701A specifically for the OEM speaker locations and the fact the system had unique 'surround' speaker locations and with full knowledge that I'd be upgrading the system once received. There are a million schools of thought on what is the best upgrade and why (speakers, amplifiers, DSPs, Passive, Active, blah, blah blah) but over 30 years of tinkerin with all sorts of stereos I've found that the most 'effective' initial upgrade is MORE POWER!!! Even the crappiest speakers can sound great with amplification "headroom" and frequency restrictions (crossover) so my initial goal was to replace/upgrade the factory sub then add amplification (or headroom) and active crossovers to ALL of the B&O Unleashed systems other 17 speakers...

The first trick was figuring out exactly where and what Ford & B&O is counting for their "18" speakers.
locations_5580b24d291fa5fc9099edbe0088c3610ec82451.png

B&O Unleashed Factory Speaker Locations

Above many of you will likely see 16 speakers but each of the rear doors has a "Co-axial" speaker meaning a tweeter is suspended within the cone of a larger mid-bass assembly making each count as 2 speakers...
Your drawing above shows a green and red line connecting the left and right channels of the headrest speakers, are these lines indicative that the speakers are already pre-wired in parallel or series? thanks

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The headrests are wired together e.g. Driver's left to Passenger's left, Driver's right to Passenger's right.

Unleashed Speaker Wiring.png
This is such a great idea - I respect your efforts to dive this deep and seek a solution for the unleashed system. how did you go about determining the speaker impedances in order to ensure your amps would handle it? or you simply made an educated guess that they would be within normal ranges?

Sponsored

OP
OP
dwasill

dwasill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 701A
Basically took educated guesses figuring that the OEM amp would never be capable of driving low Ohm loads. Also figured the amp self-protection capability would save me if I overloaded any particular channels. The only signals I parallel up are the tweeters/mid-range overhead and in the headrests which would low power consumers anyway...

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
MoBridge recently announced to its dealers that a full 100% Plug-n-play F150 B&O amp/dsp is coming out this year(2nd/3rd qtr.?) with NO rewire of anything OEM or add power wires....100% factory replacement of the oem amp unit. Finally a simple solution for any of you DIYers that dont know how or want to rewire stuff using multiple devices and tuning. Will keep you posted when it comes available.

OP
OP
dwasill

dwasill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 701A
MoBridge recently announced to its dealers that a full 100% Plug-n-play F150 B&O amp/dsp is coming out this year(2nd/3rd qtr.?) with NO rewire of anything OEM or add power wires....100% factory replacement of the oem amp unit. Finally a simple solution for any of you DIYers that dont know how or want to rewire stuff using multiple devices and tuning. Will keep you posted when it comes available.
Their amp certainly looks intriguing but the 8.1.1 mObridge amp won't fully drive an Unleashed system and is again focusing on the 'non-Unleashed' crowd.

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
Their amp certainly looks intriguing but the 8.1.1 mObridge amp won't fully drive an Unleashed system and is again focusing on the 'non-Unleashed' crowd.
"its coming out soon" means you cant see it yet, it is not the 8.1.1 unit and YES it is specifically for the entire UNLEASHED system and why it was made so MoBridge can cover ALL of our vehicles.

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"its coming out soon" means you cant see it yet, it is not the 8.1.1 unit and YES it is specifically for the entire UNLEASHED system and why it was made so MoBridge can cover ALL of our vehicles.
My understanding is that it is indeed the 9 channel amplifier, with a custom connect wiring kit for B&O systems. It won't drive the above-head or headrest channels.
Sponsored