WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Hi guys,

Anyone break down one of these sticking EIWEs? I'm trying to understand how bad the damage gets and around what mileage the failure was observed. Id imagine the grinding is leaving metal shavings at a minimum.

Are they even able to be disassembled? Is there a way to check, clean, and regrease with something less temperature sensitive?
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The issue I see going with a different grease is that it eventually heats up. I haven't seen anyone do a tear down, so if you do, don't be like me, take pics.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
The issue I see going with a different grease is that it eventually heats up. I haven't seen anyone do a tear down, so if you do, don't be like me, take pics.
I ain't touching it while under warranty. I do plan on having mine replaced, but much later to really give Ford enough time for TSBs and new parts. I'll certainly ask for the part back once I have it swapped.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
The drivers side one on my old 21 started giving me fits last winter, but she is down the road now so never did anything with it. The 23s+ totally ditched it now, most likely due to these issues with them, so it leaves the front live all the time now. If anything, I would imagine a TSB would be to just remove them and not mess with them anymore for longevity sake.

Hfyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB
The drivers side one on my old 21 started giving me fits last winter, but she is down the road now so never did anything with it. The 23s+ totally ditched it now, most likely due to these issues with them, so it leaves the front live all the time now. If anything, I would imagine a TSB would be to just remove them and not mess with them anymore for longevity sake.
What do you mean the 23’s ditched them? Once I was <0c I most definitely noticed the grinding EIWE on the truck. In the 4 months I had it preceding up to that point I never once had it do the warm up or whatever it’s trying to do.

Sponsored

JoeRedFly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Working
23s with 4A don't have IWEs. No idea why. I hated that on my Tacoma but with all the issues I guess I'm glad not to have them.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
23s with 4A don't have IWEs. No idea why. I hated that on my Tacoma but with all the issues I guess I'm glad not to have them.
Yeah the 4A trucks never had them I think? Could be wrong. My truck is the XLT so it has them.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Are the EIWE’s problematic? I’ve not heard heard much about them. Knock wood mine have been fine, but it seems like it would be more reliable than the previous vacuum system.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Are the EIWE’s problematic? I’ve not heard heard much about them. Knock wood mine have been fine, but it seems like it would be more reliable than the previous vacuum system.
It's undoubtedly better than the vac system, but I think the cold is affecting the grease, which means they don't fully disengage once the front diff is warmed up and can grind. I really want the stupid TSB to stop the behavior of warming the front diff more than anything. I have 0 reason to give a shit about the front diff 99.999% of the time. A software update to stop the EIWEs from engaging for the first few miles when it's below 30 degrees would seem only too sensible @fordmotorcompany

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
It's undoubtedly better than the vac system, but I think the cold is affecting the grease, which means they don't fully disengage once the front diff is warmed up and can grind. I really want the stupid TSB to stop the behavior of warming the front diff more than anything. I have 0 reason to give a shit about the front diff 99.999% of the time. A software update to stop the EIWEs from engaging for the first few miles when it's below 30 degrees would seem only too sensible @fordmotorcompany
Oh gotcha that makes perfect sense with the cold grease binding things up.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
And there is no need to warm up the front diff idk why they are doing this now. The vacuum system pulled engagement as soon as you start the truck. There was no cycling on and off. It was 5 degrees last night here and mine started grinding about 3 minutes into my drive (so I could tell they were trying to disengage). No reason for this. They should disengage on startup.

It takes some serious abuse to strip these or do any damage. The IWE teeth are soft and designed to sacrifice themselves to save the splines on the CV axle. It also takes a long time for the soft teeth to even wear. My Expedition grinded bad for a few months on occasion and when I disassembled them the damage to the teeth was minimum still. Still worked too.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
And there is no need to warm up the front diff idk why they are doing this now. The vacuum system pulled engagement as soon as you start the truck. There was no cycling on and off. It was 5 degrees last night here and mine started grinding about 3 minutes into my drive (so I could tell they were trying to disengage). No reason for this. They should disengage on startup.

It takes some serious abuse to strip these or do any damage. The IWE teeth are soft and designed to sacrifice themselves to save the splines on the CV axle. It also takes a long time for the soft teeth to even wear. My Expedition grinded bad for a few months on occasion and when I disassembled them the damage to the teeth was minimum still. Still worked too.
exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks

Hfyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB
Why does everyone think it is a grease issue? Generally speaking the viscosity of most greases doesn’t magically become peanut butter at 0C. This happens exactly at 0C or less which seems like more of a software or built in feature, not that it should be of course.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Confused because I don't recall seeing them on my truck but I was not spending much time under there just looking for leaks. 21 trucks supposed to have them though so I'll need to give it another look. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored