Adding Pro Backup Assist Via Forscan

Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
Hello All, sorry if this has been discussed before but my search did not find anything. I have a 2022 Lariat 502A and where there is supposed to be the Pro Backup Assist knob, it is just a blank. I took that off and to my surprise, there was a connector on it. If I buy the knob, plug it in, will I be able to use this feature if I enable it (if possible) via forscan? Or am I missing something and unable to achieve this? TIA

Ford F-150 Adding Pro Backup Assist Via Forscan 8D0C8BCC-4E01-4EDE-8AC3-5120A845A85B_1_102_o
Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I would say it's not worth it. Used it once or twice and haven't used it since.

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX Supercab 2.7
Occupation
Golf Cart Technician
Do you have the trailer brake controller? This function is in the trailer module, trucks without the TBC just have a dummy relay module. Not sure if you were to install the Ford accessory TBC module if it also has the pro backup circuit integrated. I did get the part number on both modules when I installed the TBC on mine, maybe someone with the pro trailer can share their module pn to compare

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I would say it's not worth it. Used it once or twice and haven't used it since.
I disagree with “it’s not worth it”, it depends on whether you’ve pulled a trailer in you past. I have never had a trailer so I never got the chance to learn how to back one up. Can I do it, yeah, will it take me a few tries, yeah, more than I want. When I got my 2016 F-150 with Pro backup assist I backed my trailer into my drive in 1 try. I was blown away how I can back it up into a tight parking spot easily. So I say having it is 100% worth it if you don’t have much experience backing up a trailer. Now if you are using it for a small trailer, something like a 5x10, then it’s pretty worthless because it does not work well but for my 8x20 it’s great.

As for can you just buy the knob and turn it on, I have no idea. I do know when I bought my 2016 it had Pro Back Assist but no electric trailer brake, so I bought one online, plugged it in hoping it would work, but it didn’t. I went to the dealer and told them it stopped working and they said they would have to reprogram it and it worked. Can that happen with Pro Back Assist, I don’t know but it might be worth a shot.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
You can’t add it without replacing the RCM(Air bag module)

the changes are in a few modules

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I disagree with “it’s not worth it”, it depends on whether you’ve pulled a trailer in you past. I have never had a trailer so I never got the chance to learn how to back one up. Can I do it, yeah, will it take me a few tries, yeah, more than I want. When I got my 2016 F-150 with Pro backup assist I backed my trailer into my drive in 1 try. I was blown away how I can back it up into a tight parking spot easily. So I say having it is 100% worth it if you don’t have much experience backing up a trailer. Now if you are using it for a small trailer, something like a 5x10, then it’s pretty worthless because it does not work well but for my 8x20 it’s great.

As for can you just buy the knob and turn it on, I have no idea. I do know when I bought my 2016 it had Pro Back Assist but no electric trailer brake, so I bought one online, plugged it in hoping it would work, but it didn’t. I went to the dealer and told them it stopped working and they said they would have to reprogram it and it worked. Can that happen with Pro Back Assist, I don’t know but it might be worth a shot.
Mine’s a 22 foot travel trailer - the Pro Trailer assist doesn’t provide very good feedback in my experience, but if it works for you, that’s good of course.

I also find that looking at the screen is a bad way to back up into campground spots where I need to see my wife’s guidance in the mirrors regarding stuff the camera can’t see.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I don't like the backup assist in that someone may not be paying attention to what the front of the truck is doing. Take your trailer to an empty parking lot with ~6 buckets (stop by homedepot and rent some) and learn what it's doing. Another way to train your brain on the trailer backing logic is with a little RC car and trailer. There's an instructor that teaches the road train guys in AU on trailer backing by using a diecast model of them and suggests drivers to get one. Really easy to understand the fundamentals of such things using small analogues.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. The back of the trailer will go the same direction as you move your hand. It does take some practice. I’m sure the feature is worth it to someone. Like Rick, I tried it once and haven’t used it again.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. The back of the trailer will go the same direction as you move your hand. It does take some practice. I’m sure the feature is worth it to someone. Like Rick, I tried it once and haven’t used it again.
I've seen it used before, never used it in my truck.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. The back of the trailer will go the same direction
This changed my life... years and YEARS of taking my Mustangs to car shows and cursing myself, trying to back my trailer in and someone, once told me, "Steer from the bottom, you wanna go left? Steer left at the bottom, etc" Now I can thread a needle with anything, flatbeds, TTrailer, Boat, Jetskis.... cake.

CBAlsum

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat, and a 2015 F150 EB Lariat
Occupation
Heating Contractor
I want to go the other way. I want to remove the knob. what module changes do I need to make to get rid of it? I have something else I want to mount there and Unlike others, I can actually back a trailer. I have the spreadsheet for my 23 but can't find anything referring to the pro trailer
Sponsored