Sponsored

2021 Pro Trailer Backup Assist - Sensor or Stickers?

MiquelCamo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 PB 501A
Occupation
Retired
I recently bought a used 2021 job 2 with PTBA and did not receive the sensor kit. My truck has the connector for it so I was confused. After spending some time researching and reading long threads, I found it did not come with this kit from the factory. In the meantime, I found this article which explains this very well. I thought I would share for anyone in the same boat. Sticker or sensor box?

There is a video in this article that also explains setup and basic use of the system.

I know many poo poo using this system. I have almost five decades of driving experience and have always been able to get a trailer where I want it to be. I think there are situations where this will be helpful (short trailers, long straights, etc...) so my plan is to take advantage of it. If you have experience using it, please share. I'm also curious if anyone can provide feedback on using stickers vs sensor. Thanks!
Sponsored

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
My 21 came with a sensor but if I can just buy a sticker I'd much prefer that, especially for utility trailers. Only way I'd use the sensor is if I were towing a TT often.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
The reversing box of tricks was deleted late in the 2021 model year in favor of the sticker system.

As a late 2021 owner, I got stickers with the vehicle. So far I've tried to get the system to work, but ran out of room at a couple of places to get it operating properly.

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
The reversing box of tricks was deleted late in the 2021 model year in favor of the sticker system.

As a late 2021 owner, I got stickers with the vehicle. So far I've tried to get the system to work, but ran out of room at a couple of places to get it operating properly.
You could make some dough with those!! Apparently stickers are $20 buck a apiece from ford :oops:

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
The trick to get the Sticker to calibrate is you have to drive in a circle when it asks to turn. The sticker does work ok, I have it on my waverunner trailers and my cargo trailer.

Cons of the Stickers
1. The main issues with the stickers is if its dark outside it wont pickup sometimes
2. If its raining the camera may have water on it and wont pickup the sticker.
3. If you are backing up into the sun it will stop working.
4. If you pass under some shadows like trees it can loose the sticker.
5. At angles when backing up some angles it will loose the sticker.
6. Finally if any of these happen the truck will slam on the brakes abruptly.

I have the sensor on my 28' toy hauler. The sensor is a game changer.
It works in the rain, at night into the sun, in the shadows and it also works with the Pro Pride hitch.

I have no issue backing up trailers but when I turn that little dial it can spin the wheel faster than I can. I have noticed I can get into tighter spots with the system much easier. I love the sensor.

I also have a 21 year that didn't come with the sensor. I purchased one from ebay for $70.00.

Sponsored

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
The trick to get the Sticker to calibrate is you have to drive in a circle when it asks to turn. The sticker does work ok, I have it on my waverunner trailers and my cargo trailer.

Cons of the Stickers
1. The main issues with the stickers is if its dark outside it wont pickup sometimes
2. If its raining the camera may have water on it and wont pickup the sticker.
3. If you are backing up into the sun it will stop working.
4. If you pass under some shadows like trees it can loose the sticker.
5. At angles when backing up some angles it will loose the sticker.
6. Finally if any of these happen the truck will slam on the brakes abruptly.

It works in the rain, at night into the sun, in the shadows and it also works with the Pro Pride hitch.

I have no issue backing up trailers but when I turn that little dial it can spin the wheel faster than I can. I have noticed I can get into tighter spots with the system much easier. I love the sensor.

I also have a 21 year that didn't come with the sensor. I purchased one from ebay for $70.00.
I have the sensor that came with my truck but don't want to fiddle with it on a utility trailer in the family that I'm sure will be loaned out from time to time. A sticker is much easier to deal with.

OP
OP

MiquelCamo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 PB 501A
Occupation
Retired

Thanks, that's helps a bunch. I just purchased one on eBay for $67.74 with tax and shipping. :)

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
I've done both and found stickers to be inconsistent at best. I had to splice in a 12 socket (mine came with 7/4) but then I added the backup camera, trailor tpms, and sensor. Totally worth it!
Sponsored