Sponsored

Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sticker Calibration......

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Hey All,
I have the update on my 2021 PB to all the truck to use existing stickers for the trailer for Pro Trailer Backup. While I don't use it, I was playing with it in the driveway and a Calibration requirement pops up on the menu. It says pull forward, so I do, then is says turn one direction, I do, well that is not enough. Be prepared to do this an a huge open parking lot. Otherwise, you will never get it done. For those that need it, don't assume it will just work!
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
when i set mine up
i used the streets in our neighborhood, but could never get it to calibrate
so i used a parking lot and did a few figure 8s and it took.
my trailer parking area is a hard 90 off a skinny street so the system just cant get it without lots of fwd back stuff. so i dont use it .
but i do used the many available camera views split screens

making3a

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platnium
I just joined this forum. Hopefully this is posted in the right thread. I have discovered an issue with the Pro Trailer Assist on the 2023 F150. The dealer advised me that the YAW sensor kit
part # LC3T-14G621-AC is the compatible kit for the 2023 F150 according to the dealer parts catalog. I have the kit and it is a round 4 pin connector, but the truck takes a 7 pin so the sensor won't fit. I contacted Ford Customer Service and talked to 5 different customer service people and the best explanation is the YAW sensor kit for the 2023 F150 is not available at this time. This is disappointing because the PRO Trailer assist is one of the features, I like best. I ordered and purchased the F150 Platinum, and I just picked it up last week. It is wonderful vehicle and I frustrated that the Pro Trailer Assist doesn't work.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I just joined this forum. Hopefully this is posted in the right thread. I have discovered an issue with the Pro Trailer Assist on the 2023 F150. The dealer advised me that the YAW sensor kit
part # LC3T-14G621-AC is the compatible kit for the 2023 F150 according to the dealer parts catalog. I have the kit and it is a round 4 pin connector, but the truck takes a 7 pin so the sensor won't fit. I contacted Ford Customer Service and talked to 5 different customer service people and the best explanation is the YAW sensor kit for the 2023 F150 is not available at this time. This is disappointing because the PRO Trailer assist is one of the features, I like best. I ordered and purchased the F150 Platinum, and I just picked it up last week. It is wonderful vehicle and I frustrated that the Pro Trailer Assist doesn't work.
The 7-pin receiver connects to your trailer to run the lights and brakes and such. I don’t have a yaw sensor for my trailer, but if I recall correctly, the yaw sensor connects to a 12 pin receiver below the 7-pin. The 7/12 receiver will probably have to be installed in place of the 7/4 connector that’s currently on your truck. I don’t know what the part number is, but perhaps your dealer can locate that for you.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Had the Yaw sensor on my 2021.
It was a round 12 pin.

My 2022 arrived with the standard 7/4, as described above, and a package of 10 stickers.

I had to use the open field on a pipeline that crosses my property in order to complete the calibration. So yea, a parking lot is going to be necessary because a 90° turn isn't enough turn.

Last edited:

Sponsored

making3a

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platnium
The 7-pin receiver connects to your trailer to run the lights and brakes and such. I don’t have a yaw sensor for my trailer, but if I recall correctly, the yaw sensor connects to a 12 pin receiver below the 7-pin. The 7/12 receiver will probably have to be installed in place of the 7/4 connector that’s currently on your truck. I don’t know what the part number is, but perhaps your dealer can locate that for you.

Thanks. Aron. I did some more research and you are correct. I need the 7/12 reciever. Does anyone happen to know the part number. It's crazy than no one at Ford Customer Service knew the answer

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's a rather long and storied thread around here concerning the retrofitting of the Yaw sensor option. If memory serves, it was about the time Ford suddenly reversed course and went back to the sticker solution.

If you can find it, I'm guessing all your answers will be there. And you will hear plenty regarding the dealership/parts department lack of expertise. Although in this case they have my empathy. Ford kind of pulled a fast one on them I think.

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
Thanks. Aron. I did some more research and you are correct. I need the 7/12 reciever. Does anyone happen to know the part number. It's crazy than no one at Ford Customer Service knew the answer
here’s what you need to do. First crawl under your truck and see if you have the correct wires.
Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sticker Calibration...... 3C23291A-2BA9-4A7A-8754-B794F192B2F7

here you see that connector with the purple and white wire. In order to support the yaw sensor that has the correct wires but nothing else. Cannot support the tpms or trailer camera. It would need ten wires populated.

To get that, you can replace your rear bumper harness. The correct harness was on back order so I used the one for trucks with dual rear exhaust. The difference is the bumper support. ML3Z13A576TFA is what I ordered. Then when I ordered the trailer camera it comes with the 12/7 adapter.

Here’s nearly 20 pages of further details.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/any-update-on-a-trailer-tmps-system.4989/page-19#post-311802

Here’s a picture of the correct wire population to support the cam, yaw sensor and tpms.
Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sticker Calibration...... 96BBE91A-1F05-4AA7-9151-E4C10F84C0CF

Last edited:

making3a

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platnium
It was a round 12 pin.

My 2022 arrived with the standard 7/4, as described above, and a package of 10 stickers.

I has to use the open field on a pipeline that crosses my property in order to complete the calibration. So yea, a parking lot is going to be necessary because a 90° turn isn't enough turn.
Hi Snakebitten - Did the round 12 pin sensor yaw snap into the 7/4 pin receptacle on you truck? I can't get that 12 pin to fit the 7/4 pin receptacle on my truck at all.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No sir.
The Yaw sensor isn't compatible with my 2022 since the receptacle on the truck is the old traditional 4-pin, rather than the round 12-pin that was on the 2021.

That link to the other thread (just above) is going to make some sense of this abrupt change Ford made in how they equipped the trucks.

It was either a supply chain induced decision or not quite ready for prime time engineering assembly? Perhaps a little of both?

Some of these things we are never going to know why as consumers, but with the power of the collective (that's us 😁) we can often overcome the obstacles that the manufacturer didn't.

Might require a little tenacity, of course, but often the good stuff does.

Sponsored

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
Hi Snakebitten - Did the round 12 pin sensor yaw snap into the 7/4 pin receptacle on you truck? I can't get that 12 pin to fit the 7/4 pin receptacle on my truck at all.
It wont, it has its own receptacle.

Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sticker Calibration...... 1675868009660

That piece will replace the 7/4 receptacle that you currently have. if you need to use a 4 or 5 pin connector, you need a 7 to 4 adapter.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
It was a round 12 pin.

I has to use the open field on a pipeline that crosses my property in order to complete the calibration. So yea, a parking lot is going to be necessary because a 90° turn isn't enough turn.
My Job 1, MY22 PB came with the 7/12 receptacle, plus a 4 pin adapter, plus the package of 10 stickers.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
No, it's a part swap. You will have to disconnect the 7/4 receptacle and replace it with a 7/12 receptacle. It's actually pretty easy, assuming that you're willing to crawl under your truck for a few minutes. You will have to verify that you have the proper wiring that @dhageremtp identified above (some 2021 model trucks did not).

I did a quick search of the Ford Parts website. Here's what I believe you're looking for: Trailer Tow Harness Connector. Wiring Sleeve - Front. | FordUS

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My Job 1, MY22 PB came with the 7/12 receptacle, plus a 4 pin adapter, plus the package of 10 stickers.
Not surprised. I remember when the switch was being made it was confusing for everyone to predict which was going to come on their trucks, and your truck would have really made it difficult to predict!
It's like the folks on the assembly line weren't sure either. It appears on the day yours arrived at that station they just loaded you up with EVERYTHING they had!

You lucky devil you. 🤣

The towing gods knew that you were a little queasy about leaving your wicked Gen12 HDPP F150 behind. They made sure you got all the towing goodies.

making3a

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platnium
No, it's a part swap. You will have to disconnect the 7/4 receptacle and replace it with a 7/12 receptacle. It's actually pretty easy, assuming that you're willing to crawl under your truck for a few minutes. You will have to verify that you have the proper wiring that @dhageremtp identified above (some 2021 model trucks did not).

I did a quick search of the Ford Parts website. Here's what I believe you're looking for: Trailer Tow Harness Connector. Wiring Sleeve - Front. | FordUS

Thanks.

Thanks! I appreciate your reponse. I looked under the bumper and it looks like a round 12 pin is plugged up to the 7 pin on the bumper. That sleeve is a good candidate. I couldn't tell for sure if the sleeve had a 12 pin receiver. I'll check with my dealer.
Sponsored