Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet?

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Velocity Blue Lariat Sport
Just wondering if there is an 'official' fix for this from Ford yet or am I wasting my time going in to the dealer? I live quite a ways from my dealer so taking it in for warranty and not having it fixed properly is a real pain. That being said, it looks as though mine is stuck most of the time and causing the plastic to deform to the point where it looks like I hit something. Any feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I haven't heard anything yet. I got tired of popping mine back in so I'll just leave it until a recall comes out.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
I work in auto body. It’s attached to the bumper with a few bolts on each side. It appears you could loosen those bolts and put some washers in between the motor and bumper as spacers to gain some clearance between the bumper valance and active valance.

DaftJak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4X4
I just took mine off because it gets stuck so often, this is even after ford has replaced it. It’s ridiculous.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
What exactly is the issue? I saw a post about the air dam under the bumper Beijing dented in, but that’s not the active air dam right? You’re referring to the shutters behind the grill that open and close?

Sponsored

OP
OP
smarty39

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What exactly is the issue? I saw a post about the air dam under the bumper Beijing dented in, but that’s not the active air dam right? You’re referring to the shutters behind the grill that open and close?
My apologies if I’m mixing up the names…my issue is with the lower valence on the front bumper that moves up and down. It constantly gets stuck and is deforming the plastic.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
My apologies if I’m mixing up the names…my issue is with the lower valence on the front bumper that moves up and down. It constantly gets stuck and is deforming the plastic.
I actually didn’t know that moved up and down. I thought it was fixed. Now I’ll have to look at mine and see if there’s damage or anything. Thanks!

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
Mine keeps getting caught too. Don't want to go to the dealer unless I know there's a real fix for this. Come spring, I'll take a look to see if I can fix it myself if nothing reliable comes from Ford.

Ford F-150 Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet? Air Dam

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just wondering if there is an 'official' fix for this from Ford yet or am I wasting my time going in to the dealer? I live quite a ways from my dealer so taking it in for warranty and not having it fixed properly is a real pain. That being said, it looks as though mine is stuck most of the time and causing the plastic to deform to the point where it looks like I hit something. Any feedback is appreciated!
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name, along with some more details about your situation? I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

ohioboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You may be wasting your time, I know I have wasted mine thus far on this one - 2 dealer trips plus hours on the phone to Ford customer service, and maybe this post.

I first noticed the air dam issue with my truck at 600 miles. I’m in ne Ohio and no significant snow here this year until mid January. I immediately took it to dealer (that day), they got it right in and said it was stuck down due accumulated snow and ice, said it they fixed it and sent me on my way. Drove 2 miles home, low and behold, stuck down in middle again. Immediately drove back, adviser shrugs shoulders and says need to make appointment.

I then return a week later at appointment. I am told I must have “hit something” and that it is my problem. No witness marks, scrapes, gouges, etc. on air dam. They agree that is was probably snow that I hit and caused it.

I tell them that this device is flimsy, poorly-designed, and has no business on the front of a 4wd pickup. Snow and ice accumulation on the front of vehicle operated during the winter here is normal. Once this thing sticks down that’s it, it is stuck as the top edge of the air dam is now caught under rubber lip just beneath bumper - it will not self correct, it is caught there - it will now remain low and very vulnerable to contacting accumulated snow, ice and slush at driveways, parking areas, shoulders, etc. This is until you become aware that it is stuck, stop, and crawl under there, pull it down and push it back behind rubber lip - that is until it deploys again and becomes stuck again - rinse and repeat.

The way this thing is designed (6’ long, flimsy and easily twisted, i.e. torsionally weak) and supported only at the ends by the actuators when deployed an application of sufficient force rearward near its bottom edge causes its top edge to twist and roll forward (pitch, technically) toward the rubber lip beneath the bumper. Since the top face on this air dam isn’t very tall, it’s top edge gets trapped beneath the rubber lip below the bumper - it is now stuck - and it will not self-correct. A simple solution to mitigate this would have been to make the upper face of the air dam taller (over an inch of clearance to inside of bumper ceiling exists when fully retracted) and/or the rubber lip beneath bumper taller so as to make it less prone to trapping itself. In other words, this would help ensure that the upper part of air dam remains lapped behind bumper’s rubber lip.

While I applaud Ford‘s effort to improve fuel economy, this thing has no place on a truck driven in winter on snow covered roads. One can turn the auto start-stop off, why cannot this be turned off or deactivated? That would make sense wouldn’t it?

Here’s the kicker: I have driven approximately 1,000,000 documented miles for my occupation in the last 25 years in a multitude of cars and trucks. I have driven many light trucks, sedans, coupes, and station wagons as work cars in the winter all over the northeast and upper midwest US. All of these vehicles have been literally caked with accumulated snow/slush/ice on their front ends at some point, all these cars have air dams or spoilers, and all are lower to ground than an f-150. With none of these cars have I ever had a problem with an front air dam or spoiler being damaged. This I did not experience until I bought a new f-150 truck - built ford tough. I have largely done all of my own service, until now and am about kicking myself for having to deal with this new vehicle b.s. There is something to be said for dealing with known problems rather than denied problems.

Thus far I have had nothing except “we are sorry for your inconvenience“ on this. All this ill will generated over an underdesigned, poorly implemented $80 part (actuators are reported as ok, dam blade is apparently warped/ “bent”) that I told them I would personally remove the damn thing every winter and replace it every spring.

So again, good luck, thus far I have not had any with this nonsense…..

Ford F-150 Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet? DED3008B-FADD-48B0-8373-F48C6715A803

Sponsored

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
I've had this happen multiple times. After the second or third time that I "fixed" it by pulling the upper lip out it stopped happening. No easy way to tell if the actuators died or my temporary fixes eventually solved it.

harvey6530

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 XLT
Occupation
Ammunition Tech
Does anyone know if you remove the active air dam and motors does it throw a code from the computer. Looking at adding a front 2 inch receiver to move travel trailer around and a personnel home plow

MHarvey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 501A
Occupation
Firefighter

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
For anyone curious about an update for the lower air dam. Ford already has one. First picture is the old air dam that gets stuck. Second air dam is a replacement we received from Ford as this truck was in a collision. Notice the added length to the top.

Ford F-150 Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet? C2A82E5F-6710-4A3E-B3B3-C7E7D6384EA2

Ford F-150 Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet? 954D1B8B-1783-46FD-A970-702888001EED

OP
OP
smarty39

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll have to go check mine. Just to close the loop on my original question… I took mine in and the dealer replaced it no questions asked. Hasn’t hung up again since but now I’m curious if I have this ‘updated’ part or not.
Sponsored