FIXED/ACTIVE AIR DAM SUCKS!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Sorry to see this. But how's the other guy look?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
My air dam jammed as well. Showed it to the dealer a month or so ago. They ordered replacement parts and we are waiting for them to come in.

-Eric

Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
@Snakebitten thought there was an adjustment that could be made to the deployable dam section that raised it a bit and prevented it from getting hung up on the fixed dam.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have tried to find the post that describes the procedure, but I haven't yet.
And the service manual doesn't give any instructions except removal and replacement. :(

But there's a post (thread) somewhere that describes why some would extend too far and others wouldn't and it basically addressed an adjustment regarding how far up it is before it starts its decent.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i was just reading on another post the new lower part is longer or taller in the middle to keep it from catching the upper.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I youtubed a couple of videos that were more about the removal of the active airdam and although I don't see how the actuators on each end could possibly be raised, it did appear that there's some slop, and perhaps even a little elongation in the holes where the dam itself fastens to the two actuators.
But the videos weren't conclusive enough to be honest.

However, once you see the 3 screw holes on each end of the dam you can see that it's likely possible to elongate the holes even more if it's necessary to get it up a little higher?

For those that have had it catch on the front lip, is it just barely coming down too low? Or is it a considerable amount?

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I youtubed a couple of videos that were more about the removal of the active airdam and although I don't see how the actuators on each end could possibly be raised, it did appear that there's some slop, and perhaps even a little elongation in the holes where the dam itself fastens to the two actuators.

However, once you see the 3 screw holes on each end of the dam you can see that it's likely possible to elongate the holes even more if it's necessary to get it up a little higher?

For those that have had it catch on the front lip, is it just barely coming down too low? Or is it a considerable amount?
i was wondering if it is down , maybe at the limit or real close and the wind pressure is causing the top lip to pop out and fwd as the lower parts schooches aft .
i just moved my truck air dam is stowed correctly.
adjustment or the new IMPROVED lower dam
on my last truck i had a snow plow dam so this one is sort of neat :eek: :eek: i bounced that sucker through some pretty deep mud and water holes with no issue ,

Ford F-150 FIXED/ACTIVE AIR DAM SUCKS! 20210403_180155

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
IIRC, some have reported warping of one of the two main pieces as the reason it hangs up.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired

I'm wondering just how beneficial this aitr dam is anyway as fas a mpgs. I like the look of the the Raptor front skid plate. It looks som much cleaner and the looks of more ground clearance

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm wondering just how beneficial this aitr dam is anyway as fas a mpgs. I like the look of the the Raptor front skid plate. It looks som much cleaner and the looks of more ground clearance
I'm sure that fully depends on how much time (mileage) your truck spends at long sustained driving above 55mph?

I mean think about it. Some of us, perhaps most(?) have an average around 30mph. Most would balk at that statement, but if you look at your trip meter and do the math........ Miles/hours....you'll be surprised just how low your average speed is.

The point being is that the active dam is deployed only some of the time. Add to that the fact that it is very unlikely to exceed 1 mpg increase for even the portion of time that it IS deployed.

Or I saw where someone posted that if you add $'s to the equation, and the active airdam was an aftermarket device and cost $1000.00, it would never even pay for itself over the lifetime of the truck. :)

In my opinion it is one more example of a CAFE/EPA feature that means more to the manufacturer than it does to the individual truck owner. Any increase, even one that equals an extra couple of miles per TANKful, is multiplied by millions of vehicles manufacturerd that year. So the economy of scale will apply to Ford, but infinitesimal to me and one truck. I will never feel the benefit at the pump.

Yet, having said all that, it came on my truck. I was forced to pay for it. And the truck is under warranty. So I consider that if mine were to break or fail. But I personally don't lose an ounce of joy if circumstances were to rid my truck of the active air dam. Heck, I'd have preferred interior ambient lighting in my cup holders. Lol
Sponsored