Sponsored

3.5 Ecoboost Strange Turbo (Actuator?) Chirping

• Thread starter Deleted member 17130
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 17130

Hey everybody,

I picked up a 2022 F150 4x4 XLT with the 302A Group. It's a cool truck but I am concerned of some pretty odd sounds (not what I'd describe as normal turbo sound). I posted a video for you all to listen to. Please tell me if you believe this is normal or one of those weird TSB issues possibly.

This sounds like a high pitch chirp type noise that is not constant but is consistent where i hear it both at idle or on initial press of accelerator. Please pay attention to the shut off to hear it the most. Perhaps turbo wastegate? I'm gonna take it into my local dealer probably.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
My 5.0 makes a high pitched whine too....I just pretended its a Whipple...LOL

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

What'd you think of that noise at shutoff though? Having turbo sports cars before, I never heard that sound but I get vehicles do different things so being a Ford noob, wondered if its something somebody could say, yeah don't waste your time its normal lol

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Yea, non turbo here...sorry, cant answer that.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
It’s possible it’s the fluttering of the wastegate for the turbo. The DI pumps are also extra noisy. With how close you are to the engine I’m going to go out on a limb and say nothing is wrong in my expert opinion

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The 10R80 does whistle too. The pump is gear driven.

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
Hey everybody,

I have never owned a Ford vehicle and came over from Ram. I enjoyed that truck but I wanted something new and the F-150 fit my lifestyle. Love the 3.5l ecoboost for its power. I picked up a 2022 F150 4x4 XLT with the Long Bed, 36 gal tank, in Rapid Red. It's a cool truck but I am concerned of some pretty odd sounds (not what I'd describe as normal turbo sound). I posted a video for you all to listen to. Please tell me if you believe this is normal or one of those weird TSB issues possibly.

This sounds like a high pitch chirp type noise that is not constant but is consistent where i hear it both at idle or on initial press of accelerator. Please pay attention to the shut off to hear it the most. Perhaps turbo wastegate? I'm gonna take it into my local dealer probably.

Sounds exactly like my 2021 3.5 EB. I usually only notice it at drive thrus when my window is down. My thought is that this is normal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

Sounds exactly like my 2021 3.5 EB. I usually only notice it at drive thrus when my window is down. My thought is that this is normal.
And it makes that sound when you turn it off too? Seems crazy that would be normal in any way but yeah doesn't seem to affect any driveability.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
3.5 EB here. I have the same noise from the turbo wastegate since new in November. Took it to my local dealer and was told it’s normal. It’s annoying as heck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

3.5 EB here. I have the same noise from the turbo wastegate since new in November. Took it to my local dealer and was told it’s normal. It’s annoying as heck.
Preparing to hear the same. I just bought this one week ago so hoping these guys will at least confirm mine does it and I'm going to ask if I can hear another 3.5 eb on the lot.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Preparing to hear the same. I just bought this one week ago so hoping these guys will at least confirm mine does it and I'm going to ask if I can hear another 3.5 eb on the lot.
At least you’re going to have it documented. I wasn’t thrilled with their answer, but as I was getting in my truck to leave, the tech who worked on it pulled up in another 22 and said they have gotten the same complaint and he demonstrated in the 22 lariat he was taking in for an oil change.

do I find that answer acceptable? No. But at least it’s documented.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
It all sounds normal to me. The background ‘whine’ is the gear driven pump as previously mentioned, the clattering noise that you hear when the engine is being revved sounds like the DI cutting in, and the rest are turbo noises. The DI system can be pretty clattery, which is one of the reasons why Ford uses just the port injectors at idle and light throttle. On startup though you will hear the DI injectors for about the first 20-30 seconds as it does a system check (since they wouldn’t normally be operating at idle) and when they cut out the idle gets significantly quieter. At least that’s what I’ve noticed on the Fords that I’ve driven with dual injection.

C_Harris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 SQ King Ranch
Occupation
Health Care
Same. Ford said a couple transmissions they have make a normal whine. Like you, I just pretend my 5.0 has a turbo spooling up. 🤣😂

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I'm glad to hear the noise in your video is indeed wastegates, as my 2.7 makes the same noise when I let off the gas. It's my first turbo car, so it was new to me. I was worried it was IWEs.

The transmission pump (or some other gear somewhere in the system) uses straight cut gears as I understand it, which is why there is a little noise.

My 3.55 gears whine a good bit too, but not like the 3.73s I'm coming from. Suspension is stock for reference.

My brakes make a VERY weird noise when releasing them that can only be very accurately described as 737 slats deploying. It's a very quick electronic motor sound. Probably not an issue, but I'd like to know more about it I guess.

On startup with cold injectors, there's some typical DI noise which is normal and present in other DI cars I've had. Tbh, there's much less injector noise and vibration from this truck than the 2.5 Mazda motor.

I'm floored with how quiet this truck is. I almost wish it sounded a little rougher.
Sponsored