2021 3.5 EcoBoost vs PowerBoost? Can't Decide

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
All great points. So last question what year was your 3.5 and how did it compare to the powerboost?

The powerboost is just the one I can’t drive since it’s not in my area so I’m trying to gaugehow it compares
Too old to be super relevant I guess, was the first gen of 3.5L EB. I don't know that anyone will be able to tell you much on comparing them though. The 3.5L and 2.7L and even the 5.0L will drive very similar to each other, they are just gas engines in the end. The EBs have turbos, so if you get into it, you will feel the truck launch harder at lower RPM than the car engine in the V8 F-150.

The PB is a different beast because it has a motor with instant, 0RPM torque that helps get you off the line, even when the gas engine is running. So from a launch, the truck is instantly responsive. No turbo lag build or anything because by the time you have hit the limits of what the electric motor can immediately assist with, boost is built.

The biggest driving feel advantage to the PB is when it fills in the gaps. As I mentioned in my earlier post, a normal EB truck uses boost to fill in power gaps without having to change gears. Boost requires time to build and consumes more fuel. The PB uses the electric motor to fill those gaps, within reason, only engaging boost for significant demand. This results in a smoother overall feel for everything you do. It's probably the smoothest and quietest powertrain I have ever driven aside from my wife's FFE.

But, none of that will be missed if you don't drive it. Like comparing an OLED TV to a high quality backlit LED TV, if you place them side by side, the benefits of the OLED are immediately apparent, but it costs more money. If you don't look at the OLED and just look at the backlit TV, it will likely still be as much, or more, than you need, still look fantastic, and will cost you a lot less.
Sponsored

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
Don’t want to get too far off topic but I know a little about power. My toy has a NA V8 which does 60 in less than 4 sec. power is linear and wouldn’t trade it for forced induction. There is a difference in power curve for NA vs FI and really is personal preference. For my truck I want to be able to move and pull with confidence. Which is why I went with the 3.5 EB with max tow. I would think there is a reason Ford placed the 3.5 EB at the high end of towing options. Also only option in the Tremor and modify in Raptor. Not taking away anything from the PB but as you said not sure if you can compare a gen 1 EB to the current EB engine. I had EB in my wife’s last two Sport Explorers (16 & 18) and enjoyed both. Each engine has a slightly different character. Just ordered a 21 with the 3.0 EB and looking forward to driving it. The PB has outstanding power and amazing torque. PB has different gearing and does come with some heavy duty options. I wish I had the chance to drive it so I could have a point of reference. End of day try to drive and compare multiple trucks. Love Fords options but sometimes all of these choices become overwhelming when you are putting down your hard earned money.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Too old to be super relevant I guess, was the first gen of 3.5L EB. I don't know that anyone will be able to tell you much on comparing them though. The 3.5L and 2.7L and even the 5.0L will drive very similar to each other, they are just gas engines in the end. The EBs have turbos, so if you get into it, you will feel the truck launch harder at lower RPM than the car engine in the V8 F-150.

The PB is a different beast because it has a motor with instant, 0RPM torque that helps get you off the line, even when the gas engine is running. So from a launch, the truck is instantly responsive. No turbo lag build or anything because by the time you have hit the limits of what the electric motor can immediately assist with, boost is built.

The biggest driving feel advantage to the PB is when it fills in the gaps. As I mentioned in my earlier post, a normal EB truck uses boost to fill in power gaps without having to change gears. Boost requires time to build and consumes more fuel. The PB uses the electric motor to fill those gaps, within reason, only engaging boost for significant demand. This results in a smoother overall feel for everything you do. It's probably the smoothest and quietest powertrain I have ever driven aside from my wife's FFE.

But, none of that will be missed if you don't drive it. Like comparing an OLED TV to a high quality backlit LED TV, if you place them side by side, the benefits of the OLED are immediately apparent, but it costs more money. If you don't look at the OLED and just look at the backlit TV, it will likely still be as much, or more, than you need, still look fantastic, and will cost you a lot less.
yeah that makes the powerboost sound REALLY appealing. After after all, maybe new technology is worth more than looks. Gotta say though, with all that extra weight does the powerboost really load the springs and look squatted?

Liquid-Todd_AZ

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Occupation
Sales
All great points. So last question what year was your 3.5 and how did it compare to the powerboost?

The powerboost is just the one I can’t drive since it’s not in my area so I’m trying to gaugehow it compares
I test drove the 5.0, EB, and PB. I also had a 2013 3.5 EB for 5 yrs as comparison. I bought the powerboost because it was the best overall price, combination of packages and options. I haven’t even burned through a full tank since I’ve only had it a week. I have put on about 350 miles and over 60 of those miles in full electric. The PB shines in the city and stop and go traffic. It’s 0-60 is 5.3 sec, the ability to go full electric, there’s no annoying auto start/stop, the generator is cool to have etc. If the PB is in your budget it is worth it!

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I just don't see a reason to be a 3.5L EB over a PB unless you need to have STX, or don't intend to add 36 gallon tank to the 3.5L. Once you add the 36 gallon tank and locking rear axle to a 3.5L EB, which are standard on the PB, you are at PB price (or thereabouts).

If you don't need the towing or payload from the 3.5L, I would just get the 2.7L. Better fuel economy, tougher built engine, lower price, and almost equally fast. Why people ignore the 2.7L when last gen it was faster than the 3.5L in 0-60 is so wild to me. It's an amazing engine. The 3.5L got a little power boost this gen so may not be the same, but it won't be far off.

The PB is hilariously fast. It's faster than last gen or this gen new Raptor. But I wouldn't put speed at the top of my list for a truck. The PB is far smoother since it fills in the power gap with the electric motor instead of the turbos in most cases. Like when on the freeway, the PB will almost never switch to motor only, but it does use the motor to add power when you might otherwise need boost on a 3.5L or 2.7L, like going up a hill at 70 MPH while in 10th gear. So it improves fuel mileage in that case.

The only reason left to get a 3.5L EB is for payload. You are going to run out of payload before you hit your max tow rating with most of the trucks, the tow ratings are largely pointless in most situations. But the PB does have a lower payload than a like-for-like 3.5L EB. It seems to be worth around 100-150lbs. So a 1500lb PB truck would be around a 1600lb payload 3.5L EB truck, all other things being equal (including 36 gallon tank and that).

But if getting an XLT 301a with the HDPP or something, there is a reason only the 3.5L is available.

Anyway, good luck, all engine choices are great. But don't focus too much on the price difference between the 3.5L EB and PB in a vaccum. The PB comes with the heavy duty rear axle, heavy duty leaf spring pack, 30.6 gallon tank (not 36, but it's still over the standard 26), locking rear axle, and upgraded cooling. When you add the equivalent items to a 3.5LEB (36 gallon tank, Max Tow to get the springs and locking rear axle, etc), you are at PB money. In that case, there is no situation I would pick the 3.5L over the PB. I have been more than happy with my 2.7L F-150s, I had two of them, but wanted to try the PB. I love this engine. It's so smooth and I get pretty consistently 24 MPG highway with the family and luggage loaded on a very heavy 502a Lariat, and I get 24-30 MPG in the city for most of my trips. My highway mileage on the 2.7L was fairly close to that, but the city was nowhere near it. The 3.5L EB won't be that good either.
I would agree with basically all of this, even though I ended up with the 3.5 EB. In my case I bought in January and I was able to get the 3.5 for $7k below MSRP (Lariat 502A FX4 Max Tow more or less full loaded $68k MSRP for $61k off lot) while PB would have been full MSRP (which was around $69k at time) because they wouldn’t negotiate due to inventory constraints on PB. Given current market guessing it’s hard to get them to come down in price on anything and I would def get the PB for reasons above (though I’m more for squeezing a few extra MPG than any other reason, when I camp I sleep in a tent).

I do have to say the payload still sucks on the 3.5. I think mine is like 1550, which puts it on par or below a Honda Ridgeline. If payload matters I’d prob actually just skimp on a few options instead (power tailgate, glass roof, etc) that I think add to it.

If it was available though I may have just gone with 2.7 over 3.5 though for the extra MPGs. Honestly the 3.5 is more fast than I find useful, and fast in a truck isn’t very fun. My last car was a GTI which was definitely slower than the 3.5 but was way more practically fast because I could hammer it through a canyon. The truck is straight line fast which is fun like once and then gets dull. I sort of hate truck as one sized fits all for performance, I’d rather just buy a cheapish second car for performance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I got over 17,000 miles on my PB and my buddy has the EB STX. We ride in both trucks a lot and both trucks ride nice like most F150’s do. I would buy the PB over the EB. I have the 3.73 locking rear axle and max tow package on my rig. I use the Pro Power Genset all the time to Power up my Catalonia 28THS when I go camping. Also no need to run extension cords when I vacuum out the truck. So many nice things on this truck that I never had in the past, heated seats, BLIS, Zone Lighting, 360 camera view, Pro Trailer assist and more. I’m in for a Lightning Pro but I’m keeping my PB.?

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would agree with basically all of this, even though I ended up with the 3.5 EB. In my case I bought in January and I was able to get the 3.5 for $7k below MSRP (Lariat 502A FX4 Max Tow more or less full loaded $68k MSRP for $61k off lot) while PB would have been full MSRP (which was around $69k at time) because they wouldn’t negotiate due to inventory constraints on PB. Given current market guessing it’s hard to get them to come down in price on anything and I would def get the PB for reasons above (though I’m more for squeezing a few extra MPG than any other reason, when I camp I sleep in a tent).

I do have to say the payload still sucks on the 3.5. I think mine is like 1550, which puts it on par or below a Honda Ridgeline. If payload matters I’d prob actually just skimp on a few options instead (power tailgate, glass roof, etc) that I think add to it.

If it was available though I may have just gone with 2.7 over 3.5 though for the extra MPGs. Honestly the 3.5 is more fast than I find useful, and fast in a truck isn’t very fun. My last car was a GTI which was definitely slower than the 3.5 but was way more practically fast because I could hammer it through a canyon. The truck is straight line fast which is fun like once and then gets dull. I sort of hate truck as one sized fits all for performance, I’d rather just buy a cheapish second car for performance.
You make many excellent points. I feel like I have become so accustomed to the current market forces of many people (without A/X Plan) basically paying MSRP or close to it, so that was where my cost estimate came from comparing the engines.

In the old days, the long-long ago, it was a lot more difficult to make a price based comparison as dealers were willing to deal more on certain engine/trim combos than others, rebates were more dramatically different between trims (and sometimes engines), etc.

Whatever you get though, you will love. In any of this we are talking differences in inches, not miles.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
You make many excellent points. I feel like I have become so accustomed to the current market forces of many people (without A/X Plan) basically paying MSRP or close to it, so that was where my cost estimate came from comparing the engines.

In the old days, the long-long ago, it was a lot more difficult to make a price based comparison as dealers were willing to deal more on certain engine/trim combos than others, rebates were more dramatically different between trims (and sometimes engines), etc.

Whatever you get though, you will love. In any of this we are talking differences in inches, not miles.
Agree 100% that you can’t really go wrong.
Also I’ve been really happy with the 3.5. I drive mostly “highway” (two lane 55-65 mph Colorado roads with a lot of mountain passes) and am averaging between 20 and 21 mpg over 10k miles. If I was on flat highway I think it would be higher. Guessing PB probably would help with gas mileage on the hills (since boost comes from the electric motor instead of forced induction) but I might be averaging 23 or 24 instead overall. I’ve actually been pretty impressed by the efficiency of the 3.5L despite it having a ton of power available.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Traded in my 2015 Lariat 3.5l ecoboost for the Lariat Powerboost back in April. I really liked my ecoboost, but the 7.2kw pro power for powering the TT and the other benefits of the hybrid; eco idle for leaving the dog in the truck on hot days, smoother acceleration, the unassuming power and increased hp and to be honest, just the idea of a hybrid truck and driving in electric mode, all made the decision easy for me.
Good luck with your decision!

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I agree the benefits of the PB go beyond mileage. But even so I’m not sure why people say the increase in fuel economy doesn’t pay for itself. For me it does. Even if I ignore the extra things you get with the PB option, if I assume 10k miles per year and gas prices of $4.35 near me (which is conservative), the PB pays back in about 5 years. I have an extended warranty through 7 years and will keep the truck at least that long. Then you get the extra content like a bigger tank and better cooling, more power, the ability to idle and use AC without the engine, 700 mi range, and Pro Power. It was an easy choice for me.

Last edited:

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree the benefits of the PB go beyond mileage. But even so I’m not sure why people say the increase in fuel economy doesn’t pay for itself. For me it does. Even if I ignore the extra things you get with the PB option, if I assume 10k miles per year and gas prices of $4.35 near me (which is conservative), the PB pays back in about 5 years. I have an extended warranty through 7 years and will keep the truck at least that long. Then you get the extra content like a bigger tank and better cooling, more power, the ability to idle and use AC without the engine, 700 mi range, and Pro Power. It was an easy choice for me.
It can pay back, I don't think anyone doubts that. But timing and all that is very individual based, and impossible to estimate from this forum.

Plus, for me at least, if I say you won't get the money back, at least easily, it isn't comparing the 3.5L to the PB, because their price difference depending on other options is minimal. I look at it from the 2.7L to the PB, since if you don't get the PB I think the 2.7L (or 5.0) is the better choice in most cases. The price gap between the 2.7L and PB is tough to make up. I did the math in another thread, and I think the break even point was around 122,000 miles. That is just break even. I assumed certain things were static in the math, like price of gas and used the window sticker fuel mileage combined values.

But the PB goes beyond fuel mileage. I think it feels better, is faster if you need it to be, and the 7.2KW is just a fantastic feature. Plus its ability to sit with the engine off and AC still going has been fantastic. At our kid's school they have an option to pick up at "the loop", so parents line up in their cars and when school is let out you move along in the line of vehicles get up there and get the kids, etc. Well I did this with my 2019 w/ 2.7L and now the 2021 w/ PB. On super hot/humid days, I had to leave the truck running while I waited since it is on average 15-20 minutes from when you get there until you leave with the kids.

Well I could watch my fuel economy just fall of a cliff, obviously, with the 2019. With the '21, I get there and park, and the AC keeps blowing while the engine remains off. Through the entire 15-20 minute adventure, my engine usually only kicks on once for about 2 minutes then is off again with the battery charged and AC still blowing. It's just the best.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I test drove both, back to back before buying my PB. The EB was a pretty decked out Lariat, while the PB I ended up buying was a well optioned XLT. Here's the surprising thing; I couldn't tell the difference between the two in acceleration (sport mode on both, both 3.73 gears). One of the car mags tested the 3.5 and found it to have the same 0-60 and nearly the same quarter mile as the PB. Weight of the hybrid system likely off-sets the 30hp difference. The 70ft/lbs of extra torque will likely help the PB with heavy towing I'd imagine.

I still ended up buying the PB for a few reasons: Fuel economy, 7.2 power on board, liked the color better, and it had the FX4 package I wanted.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
I test drove both, back to back before buying my PB. The EB was a pretty decked out Lariat, while the PB I ended up buying was a well optioned XLT. Here's the surprising thing; I couldn't tell the difference between the two in acceleration (sport mode on both, both 3.73 gears). One of the car mags tested the 3.5 and found it to have the same 0-60 and nearly the same quarter mile as the PB. Weight of the hybrid system likely off-sets the 30hp difference. The 70ft/lbs of extra torque will likely help the PB with heavy towing I'd imagine.

I still ended up buying the PB for a few reasons: Fuel economy, 7.2 power on board, liked the color better, and it had the FX4 package I wanted.
Do you know which magazine that was at? I looked up reviews of the new 2021 3.5 but I couldn’t find anything

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost