Sponsored

3.5 ecoboost vibration

Jdc4216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
Got a couple minor vibrations while driving today thought it was tranny shutter but when got to stop sign developed rough idle. Parked truck while I was working for a couple hours then started up and all normal til I started down the road and a terrible vibration started and finally got a flashing check engine light. Something about a misfire. Turned around and drive half mile back to my shop and vibration went away and light went off. Possibly ignition coils bad? Anyone have this happen? Could be related to tranny shudder at highway speeds?
Sponsored

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GT500, 2022 F150 SCab, 6.5, 3.5, Lariat
Occupation
I wish it was optional...
I have to ask - because i thought I had a problem - it's not the lane keep assist vibrating the steering wheel is it? Asking only because I was sure something was messed up on mine at one point ;)
Now - that wouldn't trigger the misfire code tho - that sounds like a trip to the dealership.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Got a couple minor vibrations while driving today thought it was tranny shutter but when got to stop sign developed rough idle. Parked truck while I was working for a couple hours then started up and all normal til I started down the road and a terrible vibration started and finally got a flashing check engine light. Something about a misfire. Turned around and drive half mile back to my shop and vibration went away and light went off. Possibly ignition coils bad? Anyone have this happen? Could be related to tranny shudder at highway speeds?
Hey there! I can look into your F-150's vibration concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
Just had this happen to my truck tonight. 2021 Powerboost. Was fine all day today. Parked it for a few hours and then heading back out. As soon I pulled out of the driveway and the gas engine kicked on it was shuddering and struggling to get to speed. Revs were up and down. Then the flashing check engine light came on. When it drove on electric only it was totally smooth, and when gas kicked back on it would shudder and struggle to get to speed, so I’m assuming it’s not the transmission but is related to the 3.5 V6 engine part of the driveline. Drove it immediately to the nearest Ford dealer, luckily only a mile away, before it died and I had to get it towed. Hoping it can be checked out tomorrow but who knows. Only 9,000 miles on it. Did you ever have yours checked and get an answer?

OP
OP

Jdc4216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
Just had this happen to my truck tonight. 2021 Powerboost. Was fine all day today. Parked it for a few hours and then heading back out. As soon I pulled out of the driveway and the gas engine kicked on it was shuddering and struggling to get to speed. Revs were up and down. Then the flashing check engine light came on. When it drove on electric only it was totally smooth, and when gas kicked back on it would shudder and struggle to get to speed, so I’m assuming it’s not the transmission but is related to the 3.5 V6 engine part of the driveline. Drove it immediately to the nearest Ford dealer, luckily only a mile away, before it died and I had to get it towed. Hoping it can be checked out tomorrow but who knows. Only 9,000 miles on it. Did you ever have yours checked and get an answer?
Replaced coil and spark plug on cylinder 4 solved that problem. No fix for the hard shifting and shuttering tranny though.

Sponsored

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
Replaced coil and spark plug on cylinder 4 solved that problem. No fix for the hard shifting and shuttering tranny though.
Here’s hoping it’s as simple as that for mine. Did they say why the coil went bad on such a new vehicle? Is it a known issue?

Not sure if you have a powerboost, but if you do there’s a TSB for hard shifting from 1st through 3rd gear I believe. I’ve never had a problem, but might be something to look into.

OP
OP

Jdc4216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
Here’s hoping it’s as simple as that for mine. Did they say why the coil went bad on such a new vehicle? Is it a known issue?

Not sure if you have a powerboost, but if you do there’s a TSB for hard shifting from 1st through 3rd gear I believe. I’ve never had a problem, but might be something to look into.
They didn’t say why but I’ve read online about some others guys having some coil issues. Don’t think it’s too widespread though. Mine is a 2022 3.5 eb. Hopeing to get it to dealer next week for that tsb I’ve been reading about. Good luck
Sponsored