Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
3.5 EB here. I have the same noise from the turbo wastegate since new in November. Took it to my local dealer and was told it’s normal. It’s annoying as heck.
Hi Rob. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

3.5 EB here. I have the same noise from the turbo wastegate since new in November. Took it to my local dealer and was told it’s normal. It’s annoying as heck.
I went to my local Ford dealer and they listened to it, we listened to a new one together, and came to the agreement that mine was definitely not normal. Was it bad enough they needed to take the truck today because it affected driveability? It was not. However, my service advisor said, "let's take it in. I will need it for probably at least two days or more. I don't have a vehicle I can give you so it may be a week or so. It may not be an F-150 but it may be an Explorer or other 4WD vehicle. Will that be ok?" I replied, "yes, thank you I just need transportation doesn't have to be fabulous."

I went into it very understanding and at first they were just gonna have me deal with it for a month and if the noise didn't go away to come back. That was the tech's call. The service advisor said, "let's take it in especially since it's new, you bought the truck from us, and that's clearly not normal." So far, good customer service. Whether or not they'll discover the root cause and fix it, that's entirely different. I will be sure to share what happens for you @Grafx36510 and whoever comes along looking for an answer.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
I went to my local Ford dealer and they listened to it, we listened to a new one together, and came to the agreement that mine was definitely not normal. Was it bad enough they needed to take the truck today because it affected driveability? It was not. However, my service advisor said, "let's take it in. I will need it for probably at least two days or more. I don't have a vehicle I can give you so it may be a week or so. It may not be an F-150 but it may be an Explorer or other 4WD vehicle. Will that be ok?" I replied, "yes, thank you I just need transportation doesn't have to be fabulous."

I went into it very understanding and at first they were just gonna have me deal with it for a month and if the noise didn't go away to come back. That was the tech's call. The service advisor said, "let's take it in especially since it's new, you bought the truck from us, and that's clearly not normal." So far, good customer service. Whether or not they'll discover the root cause and fix it, that's entirely different. I will be sure to share what happens for you @Grafx36510 and whoever comes along looking for an answer.
I wish my dealer was like that. Lol. Yes, it does the chirp when I shut it off, turn it on (especially cold) and with acceleration. Good luck, I hope they actually find some answers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

I wish my dealer was like that. Lol. Yes, it does the chirp when I shut it off, turn it on (especially cold) and with acceleration. Good luck, I hope they actually find some answers.
Well if I get an answer and they can give me paperwork of anything replaced or at least inspected I'll share it with you so you can take it to your dealer and say, look not normal

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Well if I get an answer and they can give me paperwork of anything replaced or at least inspected I'll share it with you so you can take it to your dealer and say, look not normal
The more info the better! Thanks man!

Sponsored

Karytas80

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4
I wish my dealer was like that.
My 23 XLT PB makes that high pitch whines whenever I start the truck butvI never noticed any high pitch tone when accelerating. However, I heard some flapping noise and it was a bad turbo. Ilmy local dealer kept it for 10 days without giving a loaner or rental. Ford said they can't do any about it. After the turbo replaced, my truck only make that hight pitch whines which I thought it is coming from the hybrid system but after reading all the comments in this thread, I guess I was wrong.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

My 23 XLT PB makes that high pitch whines whenever I start the truck butvI never noticed any high pitch tone when accelerating. However, I heard some flapping noise and it was a bad turbo. Ilmy local dealer kept it for 10 days without giving a loaner or rental. Ford said they can't do any about it. After the turbo replaced, my truck only make that hight pitch whines which I thought it is coming from the hybrid system but after reading all the comments in this thread, I guess I was wrong.
There is a specific constant whine that is 100% related to the transmission and is apparently very normal. It sounds like it's engine whine but that is not the case apparently. The chirping noise only on the quick press of the accelerator pedal and even in some cases constant down press on the accelerator and when turning off the truck is either a belt noise or it is related to the actuator on the wastegate. This chirp noise is not normal but it is not damaging anything. It's really just an annoyance. My truck is covered bumper to bumper for 7 years so as long as shit breaks in that time, that's fine. Luckily just radio on volume 10 is enough to not hear any of it and it drives normal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

Got a 2023 XL w/ STX 4x4 2.7EB as a loaner. That thing is WAYYY louder both in turbo operation (although hearing the spooling up is cool) and the transmission is obnoxious. My 3.5 EB is much quieter. If they can fix this chirp i'll be a happy camper. The 2.7L doesn't make that chirp but neither did 2 other 2022 3.5EB on their lot. I hate when I catch something AFTER i buy. I swear our ears don't work when we got our mind set on a vehicle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

@WhiteLightningnshitshadow @Grafx36510 @zacko11288 @JExpedition07

Here is a much better sound sample/video of the high pitch chirp i'm getting...I placed my phone next to the break lines that run down by the strut/shock assembly only maybe 6 inches from the driver side turbo. I know my loaner doesn't have this sound. Dealership is doing what they can so I told them keep the thing until you get it figured it out since I've got wheels.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

If one of yall don't mind taking a video of that same location and in Park revving it up a few times I'd love to hear a difference unless this is normal which I really can't imagine it is. And i'm not talking about the direct injection or the 10R80 gear whine. That's all normal I get it and I'm familiar with those kinds of noises. Wife has a 3.3 Lambda V6 GDI Kia Sorento and I had the 3.3 V6 Twin Turbo Stinger. Talk about DI fuel pump noise! lol

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
@WhiteLightningnshitshadow @Grafx36510 @zacko11288 @JExpedition07

Here is a much better sound sample/video of the high pitch chirp i'm getting...I placed my phone next to the break lines that run down by the strut/shock assembly only maybe 6 inches from the driver side turbo. I know my loaner doesn't have this sound. Dealership is doing what they can so I told them keep the thing until you get it figured it out since I've got wheels.

Wow that's a weird noise. I don't think I've heard anything like that before. Please keep us updated. It's only when you let off the gas right? I'm assuming something wastegates related.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

Wow that's a weird noise. I don't think I've heard anything like that before. Please keep us updated. It's only when you let off the gas right? I'm assuming something wastegates related.
It actually happens immediately after start up (assuming it goes through some kind of initial test), during every single press of the accelerator, during most let off's and shutting off the vehicle. It can be heard from both sides of the truck looking into the engine bay and even with windows up and low volume. When I test drove it of course it wasn't noticeable then after say 100 miles it started. Compared to that 2.7 my gear whine from the trans is actually much less noticeable so I feel grateful for that. It's an embarrassing noise...especially when you're excited for a new truck and the paint is gorgeous. It's an attractive rig, but when i'm driving and people stare like wtf is wrong with that guy's truck haha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

When you say flapping, is it similar to the noise here?

Karytas80

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4
When you say flapping, is it similar to the noise here?
No mine sounded totally different.
I just uploaded the video to Youtube to share, here is the link of how it sounded like before the turbo was replaced:

You can hear it when the engine kicks in. I also changed differential & transmission oil along with engine oil & filter at 2500 miles about a week ago and the high pitch whining sounds is almost gone now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

No mine sounded totally different.
I just uploaded the video to Youtube to share, here is the link of how it sounded like before the turbo was replaced:

You can hear it when the engine kicks in. I also changed differential & transmission oil along with engine oil & filter at 2500 miles about a week ago and the high pitch whining sounds is almost gone now.
lol yeah, yours is definitely easy to duplicate. Honestly mine should be too with a mechanic stethoscope
Sponsored