Sponsored

2021 3.5 EcoBoost vs PowerBoost? Can't Decide

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
I’m sorry if this has been covered before, I’m really having a tough time pickin. Has anyone driven both? Which one feels like it has better pickup? I know the powerboost has more power but is also a lot heavier. Any input is greatly appreciate thank you
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’m sorry if this has been covered before, I’m really having a tough time pickin. Has anyone driven both? Which one feels like it has better pickup? I know the powerboost has more power but is also a lot heavier. Any input is greatly appreciate thank you
It’s unlikely to pay for itself in fuel savings, but it is faster than the standard 3.5, and the generator is awesome. I also love being able to idle without using fuel and keeping my A/C and heat going

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
It’s unlikely to pay for itself in fuel savings, but it is faster than the standard 3.5, and the generator is awesome. I also love being able to idle without using fuel and keeping my A/C and heat going
Yeah the only downside I’m seeing is I can’t get the powerboost in an STX package so I’m considering the regular 3.5. Not sure which one has more pickup since the regular 3.5 has a higher tow rating ??‍♂

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Yeah the only downside I’m seeing is I can’t get the powerboost in an STX package so I’m considering the regular 3.5. Not sure which one has more pickup since the regular 3.5 has a higher tow rating ??‍♂
Yeah I never got why the Powerboost isn’t available in STX. The tow rating is due to the weight (stopping and controlling it). The Powerboost is factually faster than the 3.5, but not hugely so. I really like the STX package on the XL’s so I’d definitely go for that over having the Powerboost if you don’t need the generator anyways.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Yeah I never got why the Powerboost isn’t available in STX. The tow rating is due to the weight (stopping and controlling it). The Powerboost is factually faster than the 3.5, but not hugely so. I really like the STX package on the XL’s so I’d definitely go for that over having the Powerboost if you don’t need the generator anyways.
My thoughts exactly. I really like the STX and it’s a good deal. Have you driven both? If it’s a big difference then I’ll go powerboost. There are none in my area to test drive though

Sponsored

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
I went through the same decisions as you. Went back and forth and decided on the 3.5EB. I was leaning towards the PB for the generator not for a faster truck or enhanced MPGs. After really thinking about it, the amount of time using the on board generator for me would be limited. I have a whole house generator so not needed at home. Camping was a pro if you don’t have shore power but for me that was about the extent. I haven’t been in a PB but the EB has no problem in the power department. All of the STXs I’ve seen in my area have 2.7EB. From reading the PB makes up for any turbo lag which is nice. If speed in a large truck is important I would think you might want to go with the 3.5 EB and wait for a tune or 5.0 options. Not sure if a tune is possible on the PB. I wonder if someone could answer this. Would there be any concerns about adding HP to the PB with the integrated electric motor in the transmission?

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Thank you yeah I have no idea what tuning would look like on a powerboost that could be difficult but I don’t really need that anyways. The regular 3.5 should be easier and I know the new 3.5 for 2021 makes even more power so that’s why I’d like someone to weigh in on both.

Are they the same you’re just essentially paying for better gas mileage?

I went through the same decisions as you. Went back and forth and decided on the 3.5EB. I was leaning towards the PB for the generator not for a faster truck or enhanced MPGs. After really thinking about it, the amount of time using the on board generator for me would be limited. I have a whole house generator so not needed at home. Camping was a pro if you don’t have shore power but for me that was about the extent. I haven’t been in a PB but the EB has no problem in the power department. All of the STXs I’ve seen in my area have 2.7EB. From reading the PB makes up for any turbo lag which is nice. If speed in a large truck is important I would think you might want to go with the 3.5 EB and wait for a tune or 5.0 options. Not sure if a tune is possible on the PB. I wonder if someone could answer this. Would there be any concerns about adding HP to the PB with the integrated electric motor in the transmission?

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I just don't see a reason to be a 3.5L EB over a PB unless you need to have STX, or don't intend to add 36 gallon tank to the 3.5L. Once you add the 36 gallon tank and locking rear axle to a 3.5L EB, which are standard on the PB, you are at PB price (or thereabouts).

If you don't need the towing or payload from the 3.5L, I would just get the 2.7L. Better fuel economy, tougher built engine, lower price, and almost equally fast. Why people ignore the 2.7L when last gen it was faster than the 3.5L in 0-60 is so wild to me. It's an amazing engine. The 3.5L got a little power boost this gen so may not be the same, but it won't be far off.

The PB is hilariously fast. It's faster than last gen or this gen new Raptor. But I wouldn't put speed at the top of my list for a truck. The PB is far smoother since it fills in the power gap with the electric motor instead of the turbos in most cases. Like when on the freeway, the PB will almost never switch to motor only, but it does use the motor to add power when you might otherwise need boost on a 3.5L or 2.7L, like going up a hill at 70 MPH while in 10th gear. So it improves fuel mileage in that case.

The only reason left to get a 3.5L EB is for payload. You are going to run out of payload before you hit your max tow rating with most of the trucks, the tow ratings are largely pointless in most situations. But the PB does have a lower payload than a like-for-like 3.5L EB. It seems to be worth around 100-150lbs. So a 1500lb PB truck would be around a 1600lb payload 3.5L EB truck, all other things being equal (including 36 gallon tank and that).

But if getting an XLT 301a with the HDPP or something, there is a reason only the 3.5L is available.

Anyway, good luck, all engine choices are great. But don't focus too much on the price difference between the 3.5L EB and PB in a vaccum. The PB comes with the heavy duty rear axle, heavy duty leaf spring pack, 30.6 gallon tank (not 36, but it's still over the standard 26), locking rear axle, and upgraded cooling. When you add the equivalent items to a 3.5LEB (36 gallon tank, Max Tow to get the springs and locking rear axle, etc), you are at PB money. In that case, there is no situation I would pick the 3.5L over the PB. I have been more than happy with my 2.7L F-150s, I had two of them, but wanted to try the PB. I love this engine. It's so smooth and I get pretty consistently 24 MPG highway with the family and luggage loaded on a very heavy 502a Lariat, and I get 24-30 MPG in the city for most of my trips. My highway mileage on the 2.7L was fairly close to that, but the city was nowhere near it. The 3.5L EB won't be that good either.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
I just don't see a reason to be a 3.5L EB over a PB unless you need to have STX, or don't intend to add 36 gallon tank to the 3.5L. Once you add the 36 gallon tank and locking rear axle to a 3.5L EB, which are standard on the PB, you are at PB price (or thereabouts).

If you don't need the towing or payload from the 3.5L, I would just get the 2.7L. Better fuel economy, tougher built engine, lower price, and almost equally fast. Why people ignore the 2.7L when last gen it was faster than the 3.5L in 0-60 is so wild to me. It's an amazing engine. The 3.5L got a little power boost this gen so may not be the same, but it won't be far off.

The PB is hilariously fast. It's faster than last gen or this gen new Raptor. But I wouldn't put speed at the top of my list for a truck. The PB is far smoother since it fills in the power gap with the electric motor instead of the turbos in most cases. Like when on the freeway, the PB will almost never switch to motor only, but it does use the motor to add power when you might otherwise need boost on a 3.5L or 2.7L, like going up a hill at 70 MPH while in 10th gear. So it improves fuel mileage in that case.

The only reason left to get a 3.5L EB is for payload. You are going to run out of payload before you hit your max tow rating with most of the trucks, the tow ratings are largely pointless in most situations. But the PB does have a lower payload than a like-for-like 3.5L EB. It seems to be worth around 100-150lbs. So a 1500lb PB truck would be around a 1600lb payload 3.5L EB truck, all other things being equal (including 36 gallon tank and that).

But if getting an XLT 301a with the HDPP or something, there is a reason only the 3.5L is available.

Anyway, good luck, all engine choices are great. But don't focus too much on the price difference between the 3.5L EB and PB in a vaccum. The PB comes with the heavy duty rear axle, heavy duty leaf spring pack, 30.6 gallon tank (not 36, but it's still over the standard 26), locking rear axle, and upgraded cooling. When you add the equivalent items to a 3.5LEB (36 gallon tank, Max Tow to get the springs and locking rear axle, etc), you are at PB money. In that case, there is no situation I would pick the 3.5L over the PB. I have been more than happy with my 2.7L F-150s, I had two of them, but wanted to try the PB. I love this engine. It's so smooth and I get pretty consistently 24 MPG highway with the family and luggage loaded on a very heavy 502a Lariat, and I get 24-30 MPG in the city for most of my trips. My highway mileage on the 2.7L was fairly close to that, but the city was nowhere near it. The 3.5L EB won't be that good either.
Excellent points thank you for that reply. I completely agree with you the powerboost just makes so much more sense, and im there. The problem is at the price point I want, I’d be getting a powerboost in an XL. And the 3.5 I could get the STX package. So it really just becomes a matter of looks

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excellent points thank you for that reply. I completely agree with you the powerboost just makes so much more sense, and im there. The problem is at the price point I want, I’d be getting a powerboost in an XL. And the 3.5 I could get the STX package. So it really just becomes a matter of looks
Are you towing? I just wouldn't skip on getting a 2.7L. I had the 2.7L in my 2017 XLT and 2019 Lariat. It is as fast as just about any competitor truck. It's definitely fast enough to get you up to a speed limit quicker than most others. Even if you are towing, the 2.7L has more than enough power up to around 8,000lbs before you really start to feel it.

Just watch any of the 2.7L drag racing or the TFL Ike Gauntlet video on the 2.7L, that thing is a monster. It is also built with the same block material as the PowerStroke Diesel in the Super Duty, while the 3.5L and 5.0L are Aluminum. The 2.7L has been more trouble free than any of the engines except the 3.3L NA. It is just the best all-around engine, especially if you are already making concessions on the truck due to price. You could get a 2.7L STX, and either save the money, or put it towards another option or two you were going to pass on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Are you towing? I just wouldn't skip on getting a 2.7L. I had the 2.7L in my 2017 XLT and 2019 Lariat. It is as fast as just about any competitor truck. It's definitely fast enough to get you up to a speed limit quicker than most others. Even if you are towing, the 2.7L has more than enough power up to around 8,000lbs before you really start to feel it.

Just watch any of the 2.7L drag racing or the TFL Ike Gauntlet video on the 2.7L, that thing is a monster. It is also built with the same block material as the PowerStroke Diesel in the Super Duty, while the 3.5L and 5.0L are Aluminum. The 2.7L has been more trouble free than any of the engines except the 3.3L NA. It is just the best all-around engine, especially if you are already making concessions on the truck due to price. You could get a 2.7L STX, and either save the money, or put it towards another option or two you were going to pass on.
Watching TFL actually right now lol. I do not tow (yet), but I could use the payload of the 2.7. That’s a big downside for the powerboost.

And your comments about the 2.7, you have a powerboost right? How do they compare? 2.7 STX would save me save me some cashola...

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Watching TFL actually right now lol. I do not tow (yet), but I could use the payload of the 2.7. That’s a big downside for the powerboost.

And your comments about the 2.7, you have a powerboost right? How do they compare? 2.7 STX would save me save me some cashola...
The PB is faster for sure, but the 2.7L never gave me any problems when I needed it to move. It had good fuel mileage in the city, and great on the highway. I was getting 23-25 MPG depending on terrain and wind and that when driving a reasonable highway speed (65-75).

It helps too that the 2.7L is a bit lighter, making the front end feel more "nimble", as much as is possible in a half ton truck. I have had one 3.5L EB truck, two 2.7L trucks, and now one PB truck.

If money is no object, I would get another PB. But in every other case, I would pick the 2.7L. If money was no object and the PB didn't exist, I would still get the 2.7L, and did twice. When I ordered my 2019 Lariat, it was also a 502a, had every option but the moon roof (I don't want it, main reason I had to order the truck), and I could have picked any engine but picked the 2.7L. It's just a great engine.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
Yes, all very good points. I can see how you could be easily swayed to go with the PB. I was no way discounting the 2.7. It is very popular option in my area and everyone who has one speaks very highly. I should have also mentioned I made my decision after driving my friends 3.5 and really liking it. It’s true the difference with max tow and other options was very close in price to PB. Don’t think you can go wrong if you are not towing heavy loads. Best of luck.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, all very good points. I can see how you could be easily swayed to go with the PB. I was no way discounting the 2.7. It is very popular option in my area and everyone who has one speaks very highly. I should have also mentioned I made my decision after driving my friends 3.5 and really liking it. It’s true the difference with max tow and other options was very close in price to PB. Don’t think you can go wrong if you are not towing heavy loads. Best of luck.
Yeah, there is no wrong choice in the F-150 engine line up, and in most races, the driver will make as much or bigger difference in the outcome if that is your concern.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
Yeah, there is no wrong choice in the F-150 engine line up, and in most races, the driver will make as much or bigger difference in the outcome if that is your concern.
All great points. So last question what year was your 3.5 and how did it compare to the powerboost?

The powerboost is just the one I can’t drive since it’s not in my area so I’m trying to gaugehow it compares
Sponsored