Sponsored

2WD vs 4WD, did I make a mistake?

Southern Girl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 74 Bronco
I live off road on an ungraded private road that is only maintained if we do something to it. I have 4x4. I've driven two 2wd vehicles and have gotten stuck a time or two. I probably wouldn't care about 4wd if I lived somewhere that was paved all the way to my front door.
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Lots of good discussion re: 2wd v. 4wd v. AWD. I initially started the thread because I was curious specifically about the Powerboost optioned with 2WD v 4WD. My assumption is since its an upgrade engine the dealers all made stock orders with higher level trim packages including 4wd for this engine. That much I am sure of, ive seen some stupidly optioned trucks IMO.

Im just hoping there is not something im not aware of with this option, 2WD with the hybrid. I assume the hybrid braking is in the transmission so all those parts and performance characteristics will be the same regardless of 2wd v 4wd? I know I will not have hill decent and any other 4wd modes, but any other features that will be different or not available?

If someone has driven a 2wd equipped Powerboost I would appreciate your insight. My truck finally has a VIN and build week, so im holding out hope it will be shipped before the end of summer. Meanwhile I continue to search for dealer inventory trucks, though the pick of Lariat Poweboost trucks is severly limited, and I have yet to see even one 2wd supercrew truck in any engine or trim level at my local dealers (North Atlanta area). If I find a Lariat Powerboost in 4WD that is close to my build I would consider pulling the trigger, im just not convinced the extra cost is worth it for me.
I'm in the Atlanta area as well, though I'm closer to Dahlonega than downtown ATL. Aquired my PB 2 weeks ago and picked it up from the "big" dealer in Sandy springs. Didn't notice any 2021 4X2's on the lot. Of course, they only had a handful as selection is limited right now, but most dealers seem to carry more 4X4 than 4X2 these days.

But you're right, you really don't need it for snow/ice in this area. We get 1-2 snow/ice events most years, but usually only the ground gets any accumulation and the roads are most often fine. I was looking for a 4X4 mostly for light off roading needed to reach fishing, camping, and some hiking areas in the mountains. But even most of that can be done with a 2WD and locking rear.

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
I think the vast majority of truck owners don’t need it so long as you don’t live in a snowy or colder climate OR your lifestyle doesn’t dictate a need. A lot of guys buy it just in case and I understand that but if you only use it once every 2 years - is it worth 3k? Maybe? Just depends….

my lifestyle makes it absolutely necessary and we get snow where I live. 2wd trucks are rare here and usually sell dirt cheap. i honestly would never buy a truck without it again…. I had a 2wd for several years and got it stuck in wet fields more times than I care to mention… it also limited me from going a lot of places I wanted to (for hunting).

but in the flip side I never buy AWD for my wifes SUVs and it hasn’t been an issue in over a decade sooo do what you will with that

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I use a boat ramp in Boynton Beach that is algae-slick at low tide. I MIGHT be able to pull the boat out at high tide, but at medium or low tide, there is absolutely no way to get the trailer up the ramp without four wheel drive. My daughter was in charge of the tow at a boat ramp last week in upstate New York when I was piloting the boat, and I forgot to tell her to switch into 4-wheel. We had to stop and restart the process after the rear wheels just spun.

4WD has saved my cookies many times on our Virginia farm when I did stupid things that looked sensible, like going over to trailer row (a grassy area) after rain, or forgetting where a ditch was after a snow storm, etc. I've also been able to assist others who get stuck, always carry a snatch strap for that purpose. So I'd never own a truck without four wheel drive.

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
Most people advocating for 2 wheel don't live in snowy areas. I wouldn't get a truck without 4x4 here in the northeast. It's not a "can't drive" issue either. I've been driving in the snow for over 40 years and my first truck was rear wheel drive. Unless you want to switch to snow tires, put weight in the bed, and carry a shovel, you can't get around that easily until the roads are plowed and even then, if there's still a snow cover on a big hill, good luck.

Many times, I will go to work, no snow and come out to 20 inches and the snow plow pushing more snow up to your vehicle as it makes its pass to clear the parking lot. Try getting out of that with 2 wheel drive drive without a hell of a lot of work and you will have to shovel. Or, better yet, be stuck behind someone else on a hill so you have to stop your truck when the nimrod without snow tires in front of you, spins his wheels until he has to back down. Then try getting that 2 wheel drive truck moving again from an incline.

Again, if I lived somewhere south or even south enough that 3 inches of snow creates a state-wide panic, 4x4 is unneeded.

Where I am in the northeast, I'm not going to go through the hassle of doing a major winter prep on the truck just to struggle during a storm and roll the dice when I take it into the mountains to go skiing.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I have lived in NC all my life and drove a 2 wheel drive S10 for 15 yeas without issues, even when it snowed. In the south you shouldn’t really be driving with much snow on the road anyways, it tends to turn to ice and trucks don’t do well on ice unless you have snow tires. Stopping is really what you need to worry about when it snows in the south.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I could get away with a 2WD 99% of the time. But I face that 1% every time I drive it. Basically my barn/shop/garage is elevated in order to stay dry during hurricane season and it's a pretty steep climb to get into it. :)

Admittedly I can get momentum and make a run at it and 2WD would suffice. Which is how I get the cars in. But in 4A this truck will just crawl right up in there, even when it rains.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
The only thing I can think of is that I have seen a couple people complain that in 2WD mode in slick conditions, the regenerative braking of the Powerboost caused the rear wheels to lock up and for the back end to start to come around. Everyone just advised that you switch to 4WD to distribute the braking force across all 4 wheels, but of course in a 2WD you can’t do that. If you don’t drive in snow ever, it’s probably not an issue. But wondering if it could be on certain wet roads too. It is pretty strong braking force

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
So I ordered a powerboost, in 501A, but I ordered it in 2WD.

I havent owned a truck since 2012, ive gotten by with pulling trailers with my SUV and borrowing trucks when necessary. I tow a small 6x12 enclosed trailer for motorcycles and I also do gigs building custom furniture. I will use the truck in a similar way, towing to the track and the occasional lumber run or furniture move, otherwise as a 4 door family vehicle.

My current SUV is AWD, which I think has come in handy only a few times during ice here in the deep south. When building/ordering I really just didnt think the ~$3400 extra for 4WD would add any value to me. Plus the literature says the 4WD is 24/24/24 MPG and the 2WD is 25/26/25 MPG. My question is, am I going to regret this for normal in town truck use? Im never going to be purposefully going offroad and I live in the south with little snow.

I normally wouldnt even question this, other than when searching ordered/inventory for Powerboost equipped trucks using Ford's tool within 50 miles it shows a total of nine 2WD units and over a hundred 4WD units. Is there a reason all those stock Powerboost trucks are 4WD other than it being a "premium" engine?
When I picked a Lariat over an XLT for my 2019, I ranked 4-Auto as fairly low in the "Lariat benefits" category.

Then I got it. And drove it. Especially in the rain.

IMO, 4WD and 4-Auto specifically (which your 501A would have) are so, so worth it. Nearly a must-have.

More traction is more control.

If you live in snow territory, it's a must have and then some

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm 2 trucks in on 4A
I don't think I will ever buy without it. At least not in an F150.

I don't need 4H or 4Lo down here in the tropics or for towing. But 4A has spoiled me royaly

Sponsored

MamboMinnow

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I live near the beach in FL, so 4x4 to drive onto the beaches is a must. Resale here much higher for 4x4. Wifey told me not to even consider buying a new truck w/o 4x4 after passing on AWD for her Honda Pilot

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
Lots of good discussion re: 2wd v. 4wd v. AWD. I initially started the thread because I was curious specifically about the Powerboost optioned with 2WD v 4WD. My assumption is since its an upgrade engine the dealers all made stock orders with higher level trim packages including 4wd for this engine. That much I am sure of, ive seen some stupidly optioned trucks IMO.

Im just hoping there is not something im not aware of with this option, 2WD with the hybrid. I assume the hybrid braking is in the transmission so all those parts and performance characteristics will be the same regardless of 2wd v 4wd? I know I will not have hill decent and any other 4wd modes, but any other features that will be different or not available?

If someone has driven a 2wd equipped Powerboost I would appreciate your insight. My truck finally has a VIN and build week, so im holding out hope it will be shipped before the end of summer. Meanwhile I continue to search for dealer inventory trucks, though the pick of Lariat Poweboost trucks is severly limited, and I have yet to see even one 2wd supercrew truck in any engine or trim level at my local dealers (North Atlanta area). If I find a Lariat Powerboost in 4WD that is close to my build I would consider pulling the trigger, im just not convinced the extra cost is worth it for me.

CK - I do not believe there is any engine component difference in the 4WD vs. 2WD, other than the connection to the second transmission / transaxle. I do know that 2WD is rated at least 1 MPG better than the 4WD. On a 20 gallon tank that means 20 more miles, so that means at least a savings of $3.00 for every other fill-up. If you fill up once a week, that's around $75 per year of ownership.

I custom ordered a 2WD MY21 F-150, rather than a 4WD. I am in the Houston area, and I lived in the DFW area for 24 years. I grew up in Indiana where 4WD was mandatory for winter driving needs. Here "in the South" there are maybe 3-4 days per year that would require 4WD. I am not going to pay $60K for a new truck and then "take it back in the woods or over creek beds". I need the space and utility of the truck. I don't want the "cost of carry" of the extra weight of the second drive train (4WD). I went with the 2WD for these reasons. The 2WD is about $3K less expensive than the 4WD models. This is about the difference I expect to get on trade-in (far in the future).

As other posters have noted, each buyer has different needs they are trying fill. Just thought I'd give you my $0.02 perspective on being a 2WD purchaser.

I hope you enjoy your truck when it's delivered!

rodsterinfl

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 Platinum 701A
Occupation
Educator
I have only owned 2wd F150s. I also own the truck as a daily driver in Saint Augustine. My primary reason for owning a truck is to tow an Airstream camper and, even for that, 4WD is not mandatory. I do not go off-road or drive on the beach so it does not matter to me. I dont live in a snowy area and dont go to bad weather wintery places but perhaps in the summer. Locally 4wd is popular but from my observation it gets you the difference in cost initially when selling, not more.

F150_steve22

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had a 2014 FX4 F-150, then a 2017 Explorer, now a 2021 2WD F-150 and live in Alabama. I will say I used my 4WD on my 2014 twice in 3 years. I thought about getting a 4WD with this new one, but I couldn't justify it. People say resale, but I plan on keeping this one for a while. I would still have my 2014 if it weren't for family, so resale is really not a concern for me. I went with more upgrades as I figured they would be more useful to me than 4WD.

OP
OP
CK.MECHA

CK.MECHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
WELL, its kismet this thread got bumped. I did end up getting my 2WD Powerboost and I love it. However I had it a little over a week and got stuck! lol

I went to the AHRMA vintage motorcycle festival at Barber in Birmingham and parking was in a super sketchy soaked and rutted field.

Parked fine, but when I went to leave I got stuck. I had wrongly assumed the elocker would engage automatically and by the time I realized it didnt I had already dug myself into a hole. I dont feel TOO bad as anything that had street tires including jeeps were being pulled out.

Im going to purchase one of these to keep in my kit just in case

Ford F-150 2WD vs 4WD, did I make a mistake? 1633966706123
Sponsored