Sponsored

2WD vs 4WD, did I make a mistake?

CK.MECHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
So I ordered a powerboost, in 501A, but I ordered it in 2WD.

I havent owned a truck since 2012, ive gotten by with pulling trailers with my SUV and borrowing trucks when necessary. I tow a small 6x12 enclosed trailer for motorcycles and I also do gigs building custom furniture. I will use the truck in a similar way, towing to the track and the occasional lumber run or furniture move, otherwise as a 4 door family vehicle.

My current SUV is AWD, which I think has come in handy only a few times during ice here in the deep south. When building/ordering I really just didnt think the ~$3400 extra for 4WD would add any value to me. Plus the literature says the 4WD is 24/24/24 MPG and the 2WD is 25/26/25 MPG. My question is, am I going to regret this for normal in town truck use? Im never going to be purposefully going offroad and I live in the south with little snow.

I normally wouldnt even question this, other than when searching ordered/inventory for Powerboost equipped trucks using Ford's tool within 50 miles it shows a total of nine 2WD units and over a hundred 4WD units. Is there a reason all those stock Powerboost trucks are 4WD other than it being a "premium" engine?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I pulled a boat for 7 years with an old 2009 FX2, a '14 Tremor, and a '13 FX4 in the south. Absolutely no difference at all between the FX4 and FX2 as far as my towing was concerned. I have 4x4 this time, but I think the AWD is more useful in the higher trims for rain/snow in the south than true 4x4. The last time we had ice (4 years ago), my old 4X4 wasn't that great because there were patches of ice and dry pavement. AWD would have been a much smoother ride on that. I have never, ever, ever driven on a road that was completely covered in snow.

The only time I really use 4x4 is just when I turn it on to make sure it's still working. Resale is definitely better on a 4x4, therefore you really get some of the costs back in the end. I guess it's a pay now, or later situation.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
If it's the truck that you wanted, then it's the right truck.

Don't worry about what other people are getting. I know people in the Northeast that only drive RWD trucks because they believe that you only need 4wd if you don't know how to drive in the snow.

Dedicated winter tires are always an option for the winter but honestly the best would be to leave the new truck at home when the weather is nasty and keep the SUV if you can for winter and rainy days.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I wouldn't sweat it honestly. As was noted, tires are what really matter. You may not benefit from dedicated winter tires given how often you see snow/ice, or cold temps in general, but you may benefit from something slightly more aggressive that is maybe snow rated, like Goodyear Duratracs (as an example, they are all season but have snow rating).

You have a locking rear axle, which will help a bit in more dire situations if you ever do find yourself off-road. The biggest issue with 2WD in a truck, especially the aluminum F-150, is the rear is "light" compared to, like, a RWD Explorer. But the PB I think will actually help in that regard since the battery and gas tank is pretty well located at the rear. I am actually eager to see how this performs in the snow compared to my last F-150 since it has so much weight down low and at the back.

Anyway, don't sweat it, enjoy the truck. Worst case situation in a year or two maybe your needs/wants change and you get stuck or something off-road somewhere, and decide to trade it in and order a 4WD. With how well these vehicles hold value it will only be a little painful. But best case, you never run into that and enjoy a faster truck, better MPGs, and a slightly lower and more stable ride without all the 4x4 stuff.

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew AMB
Until I bought my '21 I have only ever had 2wd trucks. On or off road. Other than a few "be smart" suggestions you'll be fine. I would recommend a locking rear differential (because it's always smart to have a little more security) but the traction control systems on the newer trucks are phenomenal.

Good tires, good driving lines, knowing you'll be over your head... these are simple things. Then you end up crossing most of Big Bend National Park in 2wd without getting stuck, or up Pikes Peak and into a snowy lot, or repairing fencing at my grandparent's property.

Ford F-150 2WD vs 4WD, did I make a mistake? IMG_0001.JPEG

Ford F-150 2WD vs 4WD, did I make a mistake? IMG_0050.JPEG

Ford F-150 2WD vs 4WD, did I make a mistake? 03

Sponsored

CarolynStride

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 4x2
Occupation
Retired?
I ordered a 4x2 powerboost. I have never had a 4wd vehicle and do pretty well in snow. I bought it to tow a small 5th wheel so payload is paramount. With 250 lbs less, My payload should be about 1950 with all my options. I will live in my trailer and move south in winter so not much need for 4wd and extra cost complexity and weight.
If you look at dealerships in FL - they have almost all 2 wd trucks

Bocephus87

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F250, 2019 Ranger, 2021 F150 (Pending)
You will do just fine. If you are expecting a rare nasty slush / snow event in your forecast, just add little weight in the bed. To be honest I only use 4x4 to make getting around easier due to how little weight is in my F250 rear drive axle. My dad's 2019 ranger in RWD mode drives so much better in bad weather since the weight is that much more even across axles. I suspect my new F150 will be similar when it finally arrives. 4x2 puts a little more power to the ground and better mileage as observed. You're gonna love it.

OP
OP
CK.MECHA

CK.MECHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
I should say, im in Georgia and snow to the point of sticking is extremely rare. I am keeping the SUV; our family is growing which is the whole reason for buying this truck.

Ive owned only 2WD trucks before this. Nothing "modern", with the newest one being a 2004, and all them being stripped low level equipped stuff so I am experienced in handling a light rear end. My main concern is am I missing something, why does Ford option all these trucks as 4WD? I can find plenty of 2WD ecoboosts no issue.

I would consider myself a typical truck buyer but im just flabbergasted each time I go to the dealer and look at the ridiculous ways some of these trucks are optioned. I can find 2WD ecoboosts no issue but not any 2WD powerboosts. Makes me doubt myself, think there has to be something im missing.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
So my thoughts, which are just my opinions and not necessarily based on actual facts I've verified... :)

I live in central TX and we don't get much snow/ice (this year not withstanding!). I don't do off-roading (unless, you consider driving off shoulder to get around highway issue or thru a mudded field parking "lot" after an event. I do tow a boat on occasion (and thinking about post-retirement RV life as an activity).

I will buy NOTHING but AWD for me and my wife and daughter (SUVs or trucks).

Why? Besides the real occasional issue (ice, emergency shoulder/median driving, etc.). I believe AWD are safer during even simple rains. I see unloaded pickups back end swing out all the time during wet roads. I also see FWD small SUV/sedans power steer uncontrollably (for the less than experienced driver) during more extreme conditions.

I believe an AWD with ABS and Traction control, roll control, corner control (and automatic power distribution) have algorithms built in that operate at millisecond response time that will help a driver that ends up beyond their experience/limits.

Does anyone (who doesn't off road) HAVE to have AWD... no. Can experienced drivers handle pretty much every situation with a 2WD vehicle... yes.

But still, for my money, I want MY family in AWD (with good tires at proper inflation), 100% of their drive time.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Here in AZ is likely similar to Austin, the oil builds up for weeks and then a light rain makes them as slick as ice. For at least the first fifteen minutes.

It sucks that the 4A transfer case is not an option on the lower trims because the 4X4 shifting is slow! So 4X4 won't help you in the situations that it would be most useful. Early mornings when moisture on the road is ice but only in the shadows or other scenarios where there's mixed traction.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Here in AZ is likely similar to Austin, the oil builds up for weeks and then a light rain makes them as slick as ice. For at least the first fifteen minutes.

It sucks that the 4A transfer case is not an option on the lower trims because the 4X4 shifting is slow! So 4X4 won't help you in the situations that it would be most useful. Early mornings when moisture on the road is ice but only in the shadows or other scenarios where there's mixed traction.
Yeah, this is a big reason why when I went to my 2019 Lariat from my 2017 XLT, I didn't put 4 Auto too high on my list of reasons to make the switch, but when it came time to get my 2021, 4 Auto was at the top of the list of reasons I stayed with Lariat. Even in MI we have longer periods without rain, and the same thing, those intersections can get slick. Or even when not slick, the light rear on these trucks and the way load comes off the outside wheel when making a turn, like merging with traffic, means a decent chance of some wheel spin. With 4A, my truck is constantly extremely stable and ready to put power down.

It's a small thing, sure, but it's just something I grew to appreciate more going from the XLT to Lariat.

But I still think it's hard to argue for $3000+ in added cost just for one feature. It's easier to argue cost between a 302a XLT and 501a Lariat, since there are a bunch of other features there. When talking about adding 4x4 itself, crossing that cost gap is tougher.

OkieCW

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost, 2017 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Attorney
If you rarely need 4WD and it didn’t warrant the extra costs, then you made the right choice. It sounds like dealers may have decided that Powerboosts would sell quickly and 4WD would sell quicker in your area so that’s why you see less 2WD’s in your search.

For me personally, the 4x4 was worth it. I live in Oklahoma where we get all kinds of weather and our road crews aren’t equivalent to crews in northern states so we have to drive on bad roads from time to time. A major factor for me is our current driveway has a pretty good incline and my old truck, 2WD tundra, could not handle it during snow and ice storms but my 2021 f150 did great during the most recent snow storm. My wife’s suvs have all been AWD or 4WD and I do think they’re safer vehicles with it because they’ve kept us on the road when it mattered so I wouldn’t buy a vehicle without it.

However, my dad’s property is relatively flat and he’s always had 2WD trucks and he’s never really had a problem. So it really depends on what you need the truck for and where you’ll be driving. Don’t sweat those results or what others do, enjoy your new F-150!

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
So I ordered a powerboost, in 501A, but I ordered it in 2WD.

I havent owned a truck since 2012, ive gotten by with pulling trailers with my SUV and borrowing trucks when necessary. I tow a small 6x12 enclosed trailer for motorcycles and I also do gigs building custom furniture. I will use the truck in a similar way, towing to the track and the occasional lumber run or furniture move, otherwise as a 4 door family vehicle.

My current SUV is AWD, which I think has come in handy only a few times during ice here in the deep south. When building/ordering I really just didnt think the ~$3400 extra for 4WD would add any value to me. Plus the literature says the 4WD is 24/24/24 MPG and the 2WD is 25/26/25 MPG. My question is, am I going to regret this for normal in town truck use? Im never going to be purposefully going offroad and I live in the south with little snow.

I normally wouldnt even question this, other than when searching ordered/inventory for Powerboost equipped trucks using Ford's tool within 50 miles it shows a total of nine 2WD units and over a hundred 4WD units. Is there a reason all those stock Powerboost trucks are 4WD other than it being a "premium" engine?
My son is looking for a 2WD - they are hard to find in our area - specifically he wants one with the 3.73 locking rear axle (or possibly 3.55) in a supercab - will mod it out as a performance street truck - live in KS and over the last 30yrs owning 4wd I estimate I have used 4wd less than 1000miles total and most of those it was not needed - enjoy the truck!

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
It’s funny seeing the perspective of owners in different regions. Being in the Northeast here we often question why manufacturers even bother offering a truck in anything other 4x4 and default all the pricing to 4x2 (It hurts when you’re pricing something out on the site and realize at the end you forgot to add the 4x4 and the price shoots up).

Obviously if you don’t get snow it’s not needed much unless you’re going to be in any mud/dirt/etc you might need to crawl out of. A 4x2 truck without snow tires and weight in the back is down right dangerous in any significant amount of snow. My wife’s Honda Accord was 100x safer than my truck in 2wd. Heck, that with snow tires was more capable in the snow for stopping and cornering than my truck even when it was in 4wd.

I completely agree with those on the 4A situation. I wanted it badly but didn’t want to fork out the money for Lariat, that should just be standard at this point, especially with the huge up charge for 4x4. Having to manually put 4wd in and out just seems like such old technology.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
What Volnox and BLoflin said. I've lived in the Southeast for decades and - IMO at least - I think you underestimate the safety value of 4Auto in your SUV if you've only used it a few times. Lariat is the lowest trim level I considered because at least that level is required to get a 4Auto drive mode along with 4WD. 4Auto and its appeal at resale seem to be the major misses in your decision. But of course, it is your decision. Hope you end up super pleased with your choice whatever it turns out to be.

Jack
Sponsored