First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011and 2022 Camry 2023 Ford F150 Platinum Ordered
Occupation
Retired Navy
I've had my 2023 Platinum for about a month. I finally got over 500 miles (I figure that was the break in period) and used my cruise control a few times in the last week. If I have it set at any speed, let's say 45, and I slow down, the cruise disengages, as it should, but when I push resume, it goes up to 65 or sometimes 55, not back to where it was set. I don't think this is normal, as I have had numerous vehicles with cruise control. Guess I better be calling Ford. I've tried it several different times with the same results, no matter what speed I had the cruise set at. Disappointing.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
I've had my 2023 Platinum for about a month. I finally got over 500 miles (I figure that was the break in period) and used my cruise control a few times in the last week. If I have it set at any speed, let's say 45, and I slow down, the cruise disengages, as it should, but when I push resume, it goes up to 65 or sometimes 55, not back to where it was set. I don't think this is normal, as I have had numerous vehicles with cruise control. Guess I better be calling Ford. I've tried it several different times with the same results, no matter what speed I had the cruise set at. Disappointing.
Make sure you don’t have your cruise set to use the speed limit signs. The setting in in the adaptive cruise section I think.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Make sure you don’t have your cruise set to use the speed limit signs. The setting in in the adaptive cruise section I think.
+1

That freaked me out until I turned it off. If the speed limit increases 10mph at some point, the truck makes sure it gets up to speed quickly... Especially if you have the threshold 5-10mph over..

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Sounds like your sign reading cruise is automatically setting it to the speed limit + whatever additional or less limit you've set it to. If your dash says 45 mph as in that's the last speed limit sign it's read, so long as it continues to read 45mph speed limit signs it will remain at whatever value you've set it to. When it reads a different speed limit sign it will then change to the limit +/- whatever value you've set it to. You can see both the speed limit that it's last seen as well as your set limit you've set it to.
Features > Driver assistance > cruise control > speed sign recognition (disable)

When it does this, instead of turning it off, hit the center button on the wheel (engage / cancel) then hit down and it will lock in your current speed. Holding up or down will jog +5 intervals vs pushing once = 1mph delta.

We've got a few of those 'your speed' signs and sometimes the truck reads those and when you're +10 already it goes ahead and adds another +10 for good measure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eldon

Eldon

First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Navy
Thanks for all the replies, I had a friend tell me the same thing today. So I tried it again, and nope, the signs don't have any effect. It's like the cruise just decides on it's own how fast it wants to go. I had decreased my speed from 50 mph (sign speed also 50) to 30 mph because I entered town with sign at 30. Then speed limit was 20 so I slowed. When the I looked down at the cruise it had 25 as the sign limit but cruise was not engaged. When I got back to the 30 mph limit I started increasing speed via the cruise switches, and it jumped from 30 to 35 as if it wanted 5 mph increments. Earlier, in a 45 mph zone, I had to decrease to 35 as school zone, and when I pushed resume, it wanted to go to 65. Frustrating, but I'll give local ford dealer a call tomorrow. What can you expect for 78 grand?

OP
OP
Eldon

Eldon

First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Navy
Sounds like your sign reading cruise is automatically setting it to the speed limit + whatever additional or less limit you've set it to. If your dash says 45 mph as in that's the last speed limit sign it's read, so long as it continues to read 45mph speed limit signs it will remain at whatever value you've set it to. When it reads a different speed limit sign it will then change to the limit +/- whatever value you've set it to. You can see both the speed limit that it's last seen as well as your set limit you've set it to.
Features > Driver assistance > cruise control > speed sign recognition (disable)

When it does this, instead of turning it off, hit the center button on the wheel (engage / cancel) then hit down and it will lock in your current speed. Holding up or down will jog +5 intervals vs pushing once = 1mph delta.

We've got a few of those 'your speed' signs and sometimes the truck reads those and when you're +10 already it goes ahead and adds another +10 for good measure.
Thank you so much. I will check all that out before I call Ford tomorrow. I miss the days where the new vehicle came with a paper copy of the owners manual, then I may have been able to find something about this. Oh well, we either change with the changing times, or we just get frustrated. LOL Thanks again, I do appreciate the feedback and suggestion.

OP
OP
Eldon

Eldon

First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Navy
Thank you, I will check that out. I figure it's probably human error on my part. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I hope you discover it's just the way you have your options setup. I'm betting it is.

But if you WERE to find that it's not what others have suggested and you do in fact have cruise control gremlins, I have zero faith that your dealership would have a clue what to do about it.
This isn't like any vehicle that you have ever owned when it comes to troubleshooting. The forum is more likely to help you than the dealership.

At least the vast majority of them currently.
Good luck

OP
OP
Eldon

Eldon

First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Navy

Thank you, I just went out and disabled the sign recognition. I haven't taken the truck out to see it that fixed this, but I will and then post if it worked or not. Thanks again

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have zero faith that your dealership would have a clue what to do about it.
This isn't like any vehicle that you have ever owned when it comes to troubleshooting. The forum is more likely to help you than the dealership.

At least the vast majority of them currently.
Good luck
So true. You know what's sad is that Ford has the resources to buy the software needed to get their ducks in a row. It's expensive, but that management / supply chain software would fix a lot of their issues, as would be to reduce the number of parts they have by streamlining them. They should have started installing IDRA's gigacasting machines years ago. It'd free up ~15% of the production floor, remove 5 or 6 dozen other machines and jigs, as well as use around 4 dozen less workers. A single automated machine to replace an entire welding / stamping area.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So true. You know what's sad is that Ford has the resources to buy the software needed to get their ducks in a row. It's expensive, but that management / supply chain software would fix a lot of their issues, as would be to reduce the number of parts they have by streamlining them. They should have started installing IDRA's gigacasting machines years ago. It'd free up ~15% of the production floor, remove 5 or 6 dozen other machines and jigs, as well as use around 4 dozen less workers. A single automated machine to replace an entire welding / stamping area.
Do you think the manufacturer floor in Blue Oval City will be just another Rouge or any other Detroit/Kansas floor?

I wanna be optimistic and predict it'll be forward thinking to some degree.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you think the manufacturer floor in Blue Oval City will be just another Rouge or any other Detroit/Kansas floor?

I wanna be optimistic and predict it'll be forward thinking to some degree.
It really depends if they run the factories themselves or let the political donation machine call the shots. The SE is full of auto companies that are interested in running their own plants for a reason. Boeing screwed up in the SC plant by allowing pro union fools to get in and sabotage their operations. Ford would be wise to get a couple former intel guys on staff (assuming they want to run their own plants) as well as partner with trade schools and similar to make sure they've got a semi-competent workforce. This includes partnering with the state to cover the such education. If they can't end up with a workforce worth a damn, and they don't fast-track to as much automation as possible, they won't survive.

States like GA have completely free vocational degrees funded by the lottery. It's amazing how many people don't use them (well, quite sad to be honest). I know of one school that has a CNC program that's not even at 25% capacity despite there being jobs around it that start out at $45/hr. A 100% completely free education program to enter a skilled job making a killing for a 20yr old and yet it's got 75% of its class capacity open. There's a huge disconnect due to failures up and down the govt chain.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very interesting angle/perspective.
Talking bold change is one thing. The courage and support necessary to BE bold is another.

I'd love to see the Blue Oval rise to the challenges and do so while I'm still alive.

OP
OP
Eldon

Eldon

First Name
Eldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Navy
Yahoooooo. Thank you men and women so much. I found the features and cruise control setting, disabled the sign recognition, and wa-la, I was able to set my cruise and disengage, reengabe and return to my set speed. It's a shame that the people that design this stuff thinks we can't think for ourselves. If I want to go faster, let me choose, not just assume that I want to go over the posted speed limit. Again, thank you all so much. I'm sure I'll be back with more question to this technology with wheels.
Sponsored