Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Did you run wires @Sonnie or did you retain factory via harness?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Did you run wires @Sonnie or did you retain factory via harness?
I got the factory harness with all the disconnected speakers that I can tap into. If the overhead don't do anything for me, I may try the headrest speakers too.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got the factory harness with all the disconnected speakers that I can tap into. If the overhead don't do anything for me, I may try the headrest speakers too.
Given that both seat's headrest speakers are connected, it could sound funny to the passenger. Might try it turned down as a 'fill'. I have the dash speaker turned down quite a bit and provides a decent 'fill' so that the sound isn't so binary.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1680219309722

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Given that both seat's headrest speakers are connected, it could sound funny to the passenger. Might try it turned down as a 'fill'. I have the dash speaker turned down quite a bit and provides a decent 'fill' so that the sound isn't so binary.

1680219309722.png
Huh? Are there two headrest speakers per side... a left and a right? If that is the case, each side would need the same delay. The plan was already just to allow them to be rear-fill type speakers. I have no idea what they are capable of frequency wise anyway, but figured something in the 300-3500Hz range would be sufficient, similar to rear fill, but it might take over 20ms of delay to really delay them, being so close to the ears.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huh? Are there two headrest speakers per side... a left and a right? If that is the case, each side would need the same delay. The plan was already just to allow them to be rear-fill type speakers. I have no idea what they are capable of frequency wise anyway, but figured something in the 300-3500Hz range would be sufficient, similar to rear fill, but it might take over 20ms of delay to really delay them, being so close to the ears.
Yes -- headrest right channel and a headrest left channel. Each channel is in both headrests, but the headrests are tied together. Thus if you tune it for the driver, it's the same timing the passenger get as each occupant has a L and R in the headrest, but they're the same channel. Think of it like each having headphones on a Y cable connected to the same jack.

The signal for driver left and passenger left arrive at the same time, and the same for the right speaker. So if the timing is driver focused, the passenger's ears are getting main stage left after the headrest fires, while it gets main stage right before the head rest fires. Unless of course you're tying into another channel as a feed which probably would have a negative effect as they're right at your head and you'll hear them first.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! 1680245119047

I'm not sure what these do to factory imaging but I just can't see it sounding good to either occupant in factory config.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Yes -- headrest right channel and a headrest left channel. Each channel is in both headrests, but the headrests are tied together. Thus if you tune it for the driver, it's the same timing the passenger get as each occupant has a L and R in the headrest, but they're the same channel. Think of it like each having headphones on a Y cable connected to the same jack.

The signal for driver left and passenger left arrive at the same time, and the same for the right speaker. So if the timing is driver focused, the passenger's ears are getting main stage left after the headrest fires, while it gets main stage right before the head rest fires. Unless of course you're tying into another channel as a feed which probably would have a negative effect as they're right at your head and you'll hear them first.

1680245119047.png

I'm not sure what these do to factory imaging but I just can't see it sounding good to either occupant in factory config.
These would be ambiance/rear fill type setup, and delay can be the same for both, not just for the driver. They wouldn't be distinctly noticeable. This is a good thing the way they are set up, as these are not tuned with Dirac... these are after Dirac. Passenger won't matter anyway, as nothing is tuned for passenger. It will be interesting to see what can be done with them.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
She's all finished up with the installation and the tuning... sounds really good thus far. Always chasing the best sound, but it truly is very good as it is.

JL Stealth box installed... and where I moved my jack to after removing it for the amp board.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! stealthsubmounted-

I added some light in the back to give it some bling... and several colors to choose from, but this is mainly for showing it off. Looks a lot better in person... camera does some funky stuff with the light.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! amprackrightlit-

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! amprackleftlit-

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! amprackrightlitalt-

And a view underneath the seat ... used black trunk liner to cover up the open spaces in the carpet behind the seat.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! underseat-

dwasill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 701A
Sonnie, system looks great! Not sure I saw what you decided for a sub? I initially focused on re-amplification and I bought the unleashed for all its speaker locations, so it was important for me to keep all the drivers in my repower. Jon and I started working with mObridge at the same time, for my system I opted to let them do the DSP in the Pro version and for my system I'm leveraging all 12 channels of DSP into 11 channels of amplification.

Ford F-150 2023 Ford F150 Platinum B&O Unleashed (the leash broke) - System Upgrade - Here We Go Again! Unleashed Re-amp DSP2

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Sonnie, system looks great! Not sure I saw what you decided for a sub? I initially focused on re-amplification and I bought the unleashed for all its speaker locations, so it was important for me to keep all the drivers in my repower. Jon and I started working with mObridge at the same time, for my system I opted to let them do the DSP in the Pro version and for my system I'm leveraging all 12 channels of DSP into 11 channels of amplification.

Unleashed Re-amp DSP2.png
I'm using my headrest speakers for rear fill, so to speak, but that's about it.

The sub is a JL Stealth box with two of their shallow mount 12" drivers. It does very well for me.

dwasill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 701A
Nice :) I opted for JL's 13.5" driver (obviously), haven't tried the TW3s but definitely a fan of their W6s and TW5.
Sponsored