Sponsored

2023 F150 Lane Centering Disabled while towing, WHY?

ThePnsh3r

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
***This is something that 2023 and newer F150 buyers need to be aware of. ***

Just upgraded from 2022 F150 that had Co-Pilot 360 to a 2023 F150 with same feature (I currently have Ford Co-Pilot 360 Assist 2.0). I use the truck primarily for light towing, and do long stretches on highways. Using lane centering made those trips much less fatiguing and safer. Now, I see that this feature is not operable when the truck detects a trailer connected. Even using a bike carrier with a light harness automatically prevents the truck from engaging lane centering.... WTH FORD?

Also, I find it extremely shady that this is not mentioned anywhere in the official brochures. I've reviewed the owner's manual front to back, and the only mention of this is as a warning not to use the feature while towing. Got it!, and it makes sense. Taking hands off of steering wheel while towing would be beyond dumb - but, this system is also advertised as an assistant. We are not talking about hands free driving like BlueCruise - but, system operating as designed for assisted driving with Co-Pilot.

Not towing, or having anything plugged into trailer connector, is NOT listed on any checklist specifying requirements for the system to operate!

With that in mind, Ford Co-Pilot being a driver assist - towing a super light load as I do (less than 3Klbs), or even just having a connector for bike carrier lights plugged in, disabling this feature is beyond asinine.

I've traded my 2022 XLT for this Lariat specifically to enhance my long towing trips - seeing how this feature has been degraded (and NOT communicated anywhere!), I will likely be inclined to just eat the upside down and get rid of this truck. Absolutely UNSAT and shady.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Seems to be a software change with one of the updates from early in year or a 23 probably had the software from factory. Other threads on the subject in past most said to avoid lane centering because it would cause severe trailer sway from the ping pong effect.

OP
OP
ThePnsh3r

ThePnsh3r

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Seems to be a software change with one of the updates from early in year or a 23 probably had the software from factory. Other threads on the subject in past most said to avoid lane centering because it would cause severe trailer sway from the ping pong effect.
Yeah, I read through those and have experienced the harmonic sway with my prior trailer. It would be very noticeable at certain speeds and once it started swaying it would get progressively worse. However, I've since upgraded to a dual axle 7X12 and my prior truck had zero issues with staying perfectly straight and would track between the lines as it were on rails. From my own experience, and reading about other's - it seems to be a trailer/truck combination moreso than CoPilot operation specific issue.

My frustration is that this functionality has been downgraded without being properly communicated to the customer & owners. Just like the FordPass, update that recently got released and removed features that most customers found highly useful and convenient - namely, trailer light check and Zone Lighting.

Ford is on a crappy track right now in my book.

Last edited:

GypsyDanger

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' XLT
Occupation
Electrician
I used Lane entering while towing with a maverick. About 3k of the 4k max and I loved it. It did a good job of fighting any wind by itself and never had any pogoing from it. That is pretty lame you cant use it on newer trucks.

themcmercslr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum 3.5EB
Possibly a forscan fix?? I used it to haul a 20 ft open car trailer on a 8hr drive.. had been doing the same trip in my 2020 previously which only had adaptive cruise. It worked ridiculously well and I was much, much less fatigued

Sponsored

OP
OP
ThePnsh3r

ThePnsh3r

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Possibly a forscan fix?? I used it to haul a 20 ft open car trailer on a 8hr drive.. had been doing the same trip in my 2020 previously which only had adaptive cruise. It worked ridiculously well and I was much, much less fatigued
I couldn’t find anything about being able to address it with forscan. If anyone has a fix or workaround (other than getting a harness to tap directly into truck taillights and aftermarket brake controller) - please do share.

Kurt V

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I couldn’t find anything about being able to address it with forscan. If anyone has a fix or workaround (other than getting a harness to tap directly into truck taillights and aftermarket brake controller) - please do share.
I would like to know also if there is a way to disable. I don't tow anything but carry a bike rack with trainer lights and when the lights are plugged in lane centering is disabled.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I will be blunt here. It is stupid to think lane centering works consistently. It does not! It will not!

I am speaking from experience on BlueCruise and SuperCruise.

If it fails, for instance going around a long curve (which is common), then you must catch it. Next thing you know the trailer begins to sway. Then it begins to sway you. That is when all hell breaks loose.

Blue Cruise, SuperCruise, Tesla Cruise are three of the best apps out there. They will each fail at a time it is least expected!

If you are someone that tows their F150 near max capacity, this gets even worse.

Be thankful it is NOT enabled and be happy Ford is actually looking out for you.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Join the club, first thing I noticed when I got my 23 last fall and hooked up my single axle to tow my RZR first time. It sucks. Worked Awesome on my 21 and no issues since its such a light load. There is already an older thread where me and other discovered this and I threw everything including the kitchen sink at it forscan wise to try and undo it, buts its apparently a hardcoded change in the the newer software. At this point I'm about to just buy a cheapo taillight to flat 4 pin adapter harness to at least have lights on my trailer but the truck won't know anything is attached since nothing will be detected in the 7 or 4 pin connector.

Zedbra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
My 2022 Lariat disables Lane Centering while towing. I don't ever use Lane Centering anyways - I live along the coast with all winding highways, so the feature is more of a chore than anything. My 2022 does have Zone Lighting and trailer test lights - just used that feature the other day.

Sponsored

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
I don't tow, but I do use the 4-pin connector to power trailer lights on my bike rack. When I do this my lane centering is deactivated. My truck is a MY22.

OP
OP
ThePnsh3r

ThePnsh3r

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Join the club, first thing I noticed when I got my 23 last fall and hooked up my single axle to tow my RZR first time. It sucks. Worked Awesome on my 21 and no issues since its such a light load. There is already an older thread where me and other discovered this and I threw everything including the kitchen sink at it forscan wise to try and undo it, buts its apparently a hardcoded change in the the newer software. At this point I'm about to just buy a cheapo taillight to flat 4 pin adapter harness to at least have lights on my trailer but the truck won't know anything is attached since nothing will be detected in the 7 or 4 pin connector.
Looks like the way I’m trending too. Hate to give up trailer brakes, though….. I’ve got an appointment at the stealership next week… see what they say. Hopefully a different version of software can be loaded on there… but, then I’ve also got driver side window weather stripping flutter now, too - and I found a huge metal shaving (burr) on my dip stick…. Smh… should’ve just kept my old truck.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I don't tow, but I do use the 4-pin connector to power trailer lights on my bike rack. When I do this my lane centering is deactivated. My truck is a MY22.
Yep, even when something is plugged into the factory 4 pin it detects that as a "trailer" and disables lane centering

Looks like the way I’m trending too. Hate to give up trailer brakes, though….. I’ve got an appointment at the stealership next week… see what they say. Hopefully a different version of software can be loaded on there… but, then I’ve also got driver side window weather stripping flutter now, too - and I found a huge metal shaving (burr) on my dip stick…. Smh… should’ve just kept my old truck.
Aftermarket trailer brake controller?? ha. Don't count on the dealership telling you much or even knowing anything about it. The only versions would be an older version and I doubt you want to go that route, if even possible at this point.

I had the driver door weather stripping flutter as well. Its something different with 23s as the B pillar trim piece sticks/bends out more so the window seal doesn't have as much pressure. I ended up having to stick some some foam in the seal to tighten it up and solved it right away.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...rstripping-at-highway-speed.17466/post-382671

Can't help on the shavings, if its on the dipstick of all places, that's not good...

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
🤔 How does the truck know you have a trailer? Obviously when you use the 4 or 7 pin connector. I wonder if you spliced in a 4-pin connector the old fashion way to the correct wires would it know then? And I don't mean splicing in right behind the OEM connector. I imagine that wouldn't work. Just wondering as my days of hauling bicycles is about over. This inconvenience is about to go away for me.
Sponsored