First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum FX4 3.5L PB Max Tow
Occupation
IT
Anyone else having an issue with a 2023? When I am not towing the lane centering and BlueCruise work great. But when a trailer is hooked up, even with the trailer setup, my lane centering will not activate. I understand that BlueCruise isn’t supposed to work when towing, but lane centering won’t activate either.
Sponsored

Nano150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Teacher
My truck defaulted automatically to no lane centering which I assumed was because I was towing. I’d love to have it on if it’s possible. I did notice the truck kind of being all over the road, as this was my first time towing with it l, not as smooth as my previous truck. I’m wondering if it’s simply do to the wind or is all this tech competing and confusing things.
What are the best setting to have on while towing?

Nano150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Teacher
I spoke to a Ford representative about this yesterday and they weren’t quite sure either. She directed me to ask my dealership.
I tried using lane centering on tow mode with no actual trailer connected and it worked. Could it be that the feature is unavailable when there is “significant” load connected I wonder? My trailer is 20’, 6000lbs loaded, so I’m not exceeding any limits here.

beefynutz

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Wrangler 2dr 6sp
I have a 23 with blue cruise and I was really hoping that (at very least) lane centering would work with the small 8x10 flatbed I use. I did setup the sticker for pro trailer too. But on my 6 hour, round trip drive, centering does not turn on. Doesn't matter empty or loaded. Lane keep works ok. Ford must have it set to disable lane centering as soon as a trailer is wired in for lights. I don't really want to test by unplugging the trailer lights...
Any further info on this would be helpful.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Mine is like the latter posts in this thread. Lane keeping works, lane centering disables itself.

I need to research more about turning off sway control.

Nothing wild happening or anything but if the tech is in conflict, better without it.

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I was about to ask the same. With my 21, lane centering while towing worked great with my little trailer. Funny thing is in tow mode lane keep doesn't work, but lane centering does. Now with my new 23, I couldn't get lane centering to engaged at all towing my trailer in any mode. So I'm guessing as soon as it sees a trailer connected to the 7 pin and trailer lights, it disables lane centering all together across the board. But then lane keeping worked while towing while it town mode, so riddle me that, and sway control was on.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
The next time I tow, I'll try a couple things.

1) Try to notice any difference between using cruise and not.

2) Try to notice any difference with sway control on and not.

The sway control switch is under the towing tab in synch but you can also press the traction control button for some several seconds and turn it off that way. If you want it off, you have to do it at each engine start.

My WDH also has anti sway. Some say the two can be in conflict, some don't have any issues. Some say better mileage without. Barring any problems, I'd sure welcome that.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I was able to test this out again last weekend and sure enough, no lane centering at all with a trailer attached. It has something to do with the 7 pin connector and detecting when it is hooked up because as soon as it does, lane centering is disabled. I went back and disconnected the 7 pin for a short while and lane centering fired right up and worked like it always does then. So something in the newer software/trucks with trailer backup assist disables it when the 7 pin is connected. I want to test next if I get a flat 4 pin adapter to 7 pin, and see if that still detects and triggers it then or not. In the meantime, going to go through and see what differences there might be in the asbuilt to see if something can be disabled to allow it function as if there was no trailer like my 21 did.

beefynutz

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Wrangler 2dr 6sp
I was able to test this out again last weekend and sure enough, no lane centering at all with a trailer attached. It has something to do with the 7 pin connector and detecting when it is hooked up because as soon as it does, lane centering is disabled. I went back and disconnected the 7 pin for a short while and lane centering fired right up and worked like it always does then. So something in the newer software/trucks with trailer backup assist disables it when the 7 pin is connected. I want to test next if I get a flat 4 pin adapter to 7 pin, and see if that still detects and triggers it then or not. In the meantime, going to go through and see what differences there might be in the asbuilt to see if something can be disabled to allow it function as if there was no trailer like my 21 did.
I can verify that when using just the factory 4pin connection to a trailer it also disables lane centering. I would assume that anything plugged into either connection auto turns it off.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Honestly, I don't think keeping the truck in the center of the lane without regard to the influence a trailer might have on the truck, or the truck on a trailer, is something the corporate lawyers would sign off on.

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I can verify that when using just the factory 4pin connection to a trailer it also disables lane centering. I would assume that anything plugged into either connection auto turns it off.
Crap, thanks for saving me the effort then. I have a fully sheet of changes to try compared between my 21 and 23, so will start there and see what that does. I wonder if it has something to do with trailer backup assist as that is the only major difference between them, and newer software of course. Unless Ford just completely made it unusable now if anything is detected in the trailer plug. Trailer backup and hitch assist is cool and all but I don't really need it to begin with, plus you typically spend 99% of the your time driving with your trailer, not backing it up and hooking up to it, so that can easily go bye-bye if it brings lane centering back for me while towing.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Anyone else having an issue with a 2023? When I am not towing the lane centering and BlueCruise work great. But when a trailer is hooked up, even with the trailer setup, my lane centering will not activate. I understand that BlueCruise isn’t supposed to work when towing, but lane centering won’t activate either.
I can confirm the 2023 trucks will not allow lane centering while towing. I towed with 2 2023 models and lane centering was not functional with a TT connected. I’ve towed 7000 lbs across the US two times with my 2021 Powerboost using lane centering the entire time without issue. I have 6.2.0 currently, and I just towed again today to make sure mine still allows lane centering, which I am happy to report that Ford hasn’t taken this from us…. Yet. 😂

I hate that the disabled it on the 2023 models while towing. I wonder if this can be changed in FORScan?

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
I can confirm the 2023 trucks will not allow lane centering while towing. I towed with 2 2023 models and lane centering was not functional with a TT connected. I’ve towed 7000 lbs across the US two times with my 2021 Powerboost using lane centering the entire time without issue. I have 6.2.0 currently, and I just towed again today to make sure mine still allows lane centering, which I am happy to report that Ford hasn’t taken this from us…. Yet. 😂

I hate that the disabled it on the 2023 models while towing. I wonder if this can be changed in FORScan?
That is interesting. I have a 2023 Platinum and towed this weekend with lane centering fully active. I wasn't using Bluecruise. I was using a Comma3x w/Open Pilot instead but OP uses the Ford longitudinal controls by default including adaptive cruise and lane centering and it worked perfectly with my trailer attached. I will have to test with Bluecruise instead of OP to see if it disables lane centering.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I'm trying exactly that right now, have made a few changes and still no change but will keep trying. However I'm fearful this may be a new change hard coded into the software, so in order to get around it, you may have to totally disable the IPMA from looking for a trailer at all, just have working lights maybe and that's it.

That is interesting. I have a 2023 Platinum and towed this weekend with lane centering fully active. I wasn't using Bluecruise. I was using a Comma3x w/Open Pilot instead but OP uses the Ford longitudinal controls by default including adaptive cruise and lane centering and it worked perfectly with my trailer attached. I will have to test with Bluecruise instead of OP to see if it disables lane centering.
I was just about to ask that question of how OP works with towing and that is good to know. We aren't wondering about BC here, just lane centering, so disable your hands free and see if the hands on in the dash ever comes on with a trailer plugged in.

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
I'm trying exactly that right now, have made a few changes and still no change but will keep trying. However I'm fearful this may be a new change hard coded into the software, so in order to get around it, you may have to totally disable the IPMA from looking for a trailer at all, just have working lights maybe and that's it.

I was just about to ask that question of how OP works with towing and that is good to know. We aren't wondering about BC here, just lane centering, so disable your hands free and see if the hands on in the dash ever comes on with a trailer plugged in.
Will do tomorrow and report back
Sponsored