Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
So Tow Haul mode does let you go into 9th and 10th gear? I always heard people saying it locks out top gears at 8th.
Sponsored

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
Just wondering what you meant by "however I do lock out 9 and 10"?

It was hot and dry and full of pollen this weekend. Most of the snow birds will be gone by end of March, which will open up some vacancies to the better camp sites.
I manually disable 9th and 10th gear, thus locking them out. I'm no expert but as I understand it the EB powerband is best at about 2500rpm. Camp sites here are taken up so fast it's not even funny. We are slowly moving towards boondocking but still teaching the kiddos to learn the word 'sparingly' lol.

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
So Tow Haul mode does let you go into 9th and 10th gear? I always heard people saying it locks out top gears at 8th.
Tow/Haul mode kept me pretty much in 9th gear on the interstate, with 10th on a rare occasion.

Also, and I haven't gone back to double check on this: I think I have to be in tow/haul for the parking brake to engage when using the backup camera and hitch assist. (without the parking brake, we always roll just an inch too far!).

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I manually disable 9th and 10th gear, thus locking them out. I'm no expert but as I understand it the EB powerband is best at about 2500rpm. Camp sites here are taken up so fast it's not even funny. We are slowly moving towards boondocking but still teaching the kiddos to learn the word 'sparingly' lol.
I like your thinking. I need to become more proficient with backing into tight spaces.
Our "kiddos" are two german shorthaired pointers, so I have to keep me and the wife on the "sparingly" profile :cool:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Mine hit 9th only a few times that I noticed so it is possible. I'm hoping new one with 3.73 instead of 3.55 decides 9th is best sometimes so I get better tow MPG.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine hit 9th only a few times that I noticed so it is possible. I'm hoping new one with 3.73 instead of 3.55 decides 9th is best sometimes so I get better tow MPG.
I've got the 3.73. Maybe that's why I was in 9th for much of the drive?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've got the 3.73. Maybe that's why I was in 9th for much of the drive?
I think you have a much less resistive trailer too, but I'm optimistic for mine! With a 6 gallon smaller tank it would be a nice surprise to get the same or better MPG. I'd like to still get 300 miles on a tank for times if we just want to push through the butt fatigue.

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
Following up on my own post.
What a beautiful setup! The truck and the airstream a great-looking combo! Thanks for the feedback on towing your camper. I have a 21ft camper coming in myself, will be towing it with a Powerboost as well. Can't wait!

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What a beautiful setup! The truck and the airstream a great-looking combo! Thanks for the feedback on towing your camper. I have a 21ft camper coming in myself, will be towing it with a Powerboost as well. Can't wait!
Thank you!!

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Does Ford recommended premium gas when towing? What do you use? I only put regular for normal driving.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Does Ford recommended premium gas when towing? What do you use? I only put regular for normal driving.
Interesting thought! I have only put 87 in mine over the entire life. I had never thought of a premium fuel. My wife's requires 91 and it annoys me every time I see that price! But hey, since we're close to $4 a gallon what's another 20 cents honestly? I'd consider it if it helps...

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
+1 on premium (with or w/o towing) and as mentioned above the manual does state to use premium when towing. I have on a few occasion compared both regular and premium and I do 'feel' the premium appears to provide better performance. Although its my daily driver I and for towing I don't fill up as often (every 3wks) so premium doesn't really hurt me....YMMV.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I've been following this thread while waiting for our Lariat to be built, as we'll be towing a 5,700# Lance. I've noticed almost all the posts concern either mileage (mostly) or payload By contrast, my biggest concern is range while towing. As daemonic3 mentioned above, I originally thought a 300 mile range was a reasonable expectation when towing...but I now doubt that under some conditions. And that range becomes important when taking the trailer back to the northern sections of BC and western Alberta.

We did have an early mileage report from a member here who towed his 7,000# trailer from Phoenix up to Sedona and back, so that mixed together climbing some grades, higher elevation impacting horsepower to some degree, and his speeds were pretty high at 70-75. As I recall, he reported mileage of ~8.5 mpg for the trip. That doesn't seem inconsistent with the mileage report above of 10.5 mpg at sea level with no elevation gains and mostly at 65 mph while towing the Airstream @ ~5,000# loaded for the weekend.

Climbing up/down the Rocky Mtn spine I can imagine averaging 8-9 mpg while towing. I don't think I would want to be traveling with less than 5 gals in the tank. That suggests, for mountain region towing, a range of ~212 miles (8.5 * 25) and doesn't take into account the additional fuel burn required by the ProPower system while boondocking, which is our preference. I find this disappointing.

Jack

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've been following this thread while waiting for our Lariat to be built, as we'll be towing a 5,700# Lance. I've noticed almost all the posts concern either mileage (mostly) or payload (less so). By contrast, my biggest concern, related to the first, is range. As daemonic3 mentioned above, I originally thought a 300 mile range was a reasonable expectation when towing...but I now doubt that under some conditions. And that range becomes important when taking the trailer back to the northern sections of BC and western Alberta.

We did have an early mileage report from a member here who towed his 7,000# trailer from Phoenix up to Sedona and back, so that mixed together climbing some grades, higher elevation impacting horsepower to some degree, and his speeds were pretty high at 70-75. As I recall, he reported mileage of ~8.5 mpg for the trip. That doesn't seem inconsistent with the mileage report above of 10.5 mpg at sea level with no elevation gains and mostly at 65 mph while towing the Airstream @ ~5,000# loaded for the weekend.

Climbing up/down the Rocky Mtn spine I can imagine averaging 8-9 mpg while towing. I don't think I would want to be traveling with less than 5 gals in the tank. That suggests, for mountain region towing, a range of ~212 miles (8.5 * 25) and doesn't take into account the additional fuel burn required by the ProPower system while boondocking, which is our preference. I find this disappointing.

Jack
That's a great point about boondocking. Typically we get where we want to get, and the first time unhitching and taking the truck into town or whatever is when I will gas up. But boondocking you want it full at the destination and will need to plan. I hadn't considered that since I'd only thought of boondocking as a quick overnight at a walmart or a local dry camp on a weekend that is <1hr anyway. There are so many amazing state parks here that have no electricity in the best sites.
Sponsored