Planning on Towing a small Airstream w/my PB 4X2

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Have a 16ft Airstream with a GVWR of 3500lbs. Currently tow with an X5 that gets the job done for short trips/destinations. Longer duration and distance destinations require more gear and supplies for me, the wife and the one youngster...there's no payload left in the X5 after tongue weight and passengers...and the Airstream has no storage for things like chairs, ice chest, bikes, etc.. I think the configuration I ordered (501A, 4x2, 7.2kw, power tailgate) will have the comfort and payload that makes a cross country summer trip way more doable.

Some say the F150 is overkill but based on the needs stated above I don't believe so. The question that I am debating is do I really need a WDH which folks are adamant that I need. I believe without the WDH the 5000# max is totally all I need. I wanted tow mirrors and with the 4X2 PB, tow package is required.

On the X5 no WDH...I can definitely feel the Airstream back there on bumps but little to no sway when big rigs speed by on the interstate

Thoughts on WDH needs with an F150 PB 4x2?
Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Have a 16ft Airstream with a GVWR of 3500lbs. Currently tow with an X5 that gets the job done for short trips/destinations. Longer duration and distance destinations require more gear and supplies for me, the wife and the one youngster...there's no payload left in the X5 after tongue weight and passengers...and the Airstream has no storage for things like chairs, ice chest, bikes, etc.. I think the configuration I ordered (501A, 4x2, 7.2kw, power tailgate) will have the comfort and payload that makes a cross country summer trip way more doable.

Some say the F150 is overkill but based on the needs stated above I don't believe so. The question that I am debating is do I really need a WDH which folks are adamant that I need. I believe without the WDH the 5000# max is totally all I need. I wanted tow mirrors and with the 4X2 PB, tow package is required.

On the X5 no WDH...I can definitely feel the Airstream back there on bumps but little to no sway when big rigs speed by on the interstate

Thoughts on WDH needs with an F150 PB 4x2?
Remind me what does WDH stand for? Tow package would be totally fine with what you are doing. Airstreams are nice!!

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Remind me what does WDH stand for? Tow package would be totally fine with what you are doing. Airstreams are nice!!
I believe WDH is weight distribution hitch

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I believe WDH is weight distribution hitch
Oh ok. Yeah you wouldn't have to have that pulling an airstream. It wouldn't hurt to have though. Here is the sticker on hitch.

Ford F-150 Planning on Towing a small Airstream w/my PB 4X2 20210117_191819

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Thanks for posting the pics. My tongue weight is around 430# so I wonder without the WDH if it will sag and cause any lift in the front end based on the 500 Max Tongue weight label . On the X5 there is definitely sag and the front end is raised up a little. If it sags on the F150 the WDH can correct to be level as possible. Also most of the WDH's I'm looking at also offer sway control...so there's that additional safety/benefit.

My understanding is that I'm not actually using the benefit of the the trailer tow package unless I use a WDH.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ok so if you do not have sway control, I would recommend at LEAST adding a sway bar before doing a long trip! I used to have a Curt friction sway bar with my popup tent trailer (~3k GVWR), and it attached to an extra little ball on the ball hitch and on the trailer hitch.

Even EASIER though would be a light duty WDH with sway control, I love my Reese brand one. Instead of chains it uses spring bars against friction pads for weight distribution and sway all in one. You only need the light duty version, and can install it yourself! You will need your truck first so you can check the install height (or have a pro do it). Total weight is only 73 lbs and <50 should go against your truck payload.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-66558-Steadi-Flex-Lw-400-600/dp/B00GJX1OTS

One important note for you: You have a 4x2 which gives you 200# extra payload capacity vs a 4x4. It is important to note that all that curb weight difference is 100% on the front axle, and they will still will rate you a 7050# GVWR. So you gained "payload" but it WASN'T rear axle capability, which I think may be misleading. That's why I recommend the WDH+sway over just the sway. If you don't and you porpoise on a dip, you may lose steering ability if the front axle doesn't have enough weight.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Noticed Amazon link only has one pic. Here it is at etrailer instead, much more details. https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Reese/RP66558.html
Ok so if you do not have sway control, I would recommend at LEAST adding a sway bar before doing a long trip! I used to have a Curt friction sway bar with my popup tent trailer (~3k GVWR), and it attached to an extra little ball on the ball hitch and on the trailer hitch.

Even EASIER though would be a light duty WDH with sway control, I love my Reese brand one. Instead of chains it uses spring bars against friction pads for weight distribution and sway all in one. You only need the light duty version, and can install it yourself! You will need your truck first so you can check the install height (or have a pro do it). Total weight is only 73 lbs and <50 should go against your truck payload.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-66558-Steadi-Flex-Lw-400-600/dp/B00GJX1OTS

One important note for you: You have a 4x2 which gives you 200# extra payload capacity vs a 4x4. It is important to note that all that curb weight difference is 100% on the front axle, and they will still will rate you a 7050# GVWR. So you gained "payload" but it WASN'T rear axle capability, which I think may be misleading. That's why I recommend the WDH+sway over just the sway. If you don't and you porpoise on a dip, you may lose steering ability if the front axle doesn't have enough weight.

Good info..interesting about the front vs rear capability...something to think about. I think I'm leaning toward a WDH+Sway for at least longer trips. Several good brands to choose from.
Sponsored