First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Just saw this new Ford towing guide video. Good information about how much you can tow with your truck.
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ions/3_2/2022_Ford_F150_Towing_Info_Oct20.pdf

Online calculator: https://www.ford.com/trucks/towing-guide/?intcmp=towing-cta-towingCalc (part of building out a new truck). Not sure I would use this as my final calculation for towing a trailer.
To add to this, the Ford RV/Towing Guides can be found here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

For most typical towing applications, I think that what they outlined in the video is good enough. For heavier applications, one might also want to visit a CAT scale to get axle weights and verify that none of the axles exceed their individual ratings either (front and rear axle ratings can be found on the door sticker in addition to the payload rating). Further, there are hitch ratings to be aware of as well, if your tongue weight is approaching the limit of the hitch rating (which can usually be found on a small sticker under the truck near the hitch).

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
Doesn't the hitch weight of the trailer ON the vehicle get factored into the overall cargo capacity? In that example, she said 550lbs but is she including that weight?
Some trailers like Airstreams, can add some serious weight on the hitch. Upwards of 800lbs is not uncommon and that's huge chunk taken off of that door decal number.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Doesn't the hitch weight of the trailer ON the vehicle get factored into the overall cargo capacity? In that example, she said 550lbs but is she including that weight?
Some trailers like Airstreams, can add some serious weight on the hitch. Upwards of 800lbs is not uncommon and that's huge chunk taken off of that door decal number.
See the 2:48 point in that video where they itemize those numbers. In this example, the trailer tongue weight is 166lbs. This, in addition to passengers (250), cargo (100), and the weight of the hitch itself (34) add up to the 550 payload number that they use in their example. In their example, they're using a relatively light trailer (1660 total), which imparts a relatively low tongue weight (166lbs, or 10% of the total trailer weight).

You are correct that bigger trailers would impart heavier loads upon the vehicle...and they could be forward-balanced (i.e., more than 10% of the total trailer weight loaded on the hitch), which can be upwards of 800lbs or more. My 6500lb travel trailer (loaded) has a 900 lb tongue weight (+/- 50lbs, depending upon cargo, and where that cargo is placed). That's why I was looking for a truck with an 1800+ lb payload rating.

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I can’t get this site to load at all. Weird.
When I clicked the posted link it wouldn't load; I had to first login to my Ford Account and then click the trailer configuration item to get to the page shown above.
_________

All this (and onboard scales) is nifty but as mentioned in a previous post, if pulling a trailer of substance IMO nothing substitutes for a trip to the CAT Scale with your rig to check / verify actual as-loaded for travel weights and weight distributions across all axles and the loaded trailer-weight vs tongue-weight bias (that requires two passes, one without and one with trailer hitched).

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Using the link @Helbros provided, if you have more than one Ford vehicle, you may need to go to My Account > Vehicle Dashboard and select your truck from the drop-down list. Then try the link again.

It's not all that, though.

Pro: it gives you your Max Tongue Load and Max Trailer Rating.
Con: it doesn't consider your trailer at all.

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
See the 2:48 point in that video where they itemize those numbers. In this example, the trailer tongue weight is 166lbs. This, in addition to passengers (250), cargo (100), and the weight of the hitch itself (34) add up to the 550 payload number that they use in their example. In their example, they're using a relatively light trailer (1660 total), which imparts a relatively low tongue weight (166lbs, or 10% of the total trailer weight).
Roger that. I missed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
Here's mine and it seems a bit misleading

Ford F-150 Ford Towing Guide Video with Tow Calculator (RV and Trailer Towing Guide) 1674753959132

1100 lbs tongue load needs an asterisk to say "with weight distributing hitch" based on this from the towing guide. Otherwise you're at 500.

Ford F-150 Ford Towing Guide Video with Tow Calculator (RV and Trailer Towing Guide) 1674754017214

RCMills

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
So we are riding around with an onboard computer with some obvious capacity for data storage, WHY is this VERY useful data not stored onboard and able to be brought up and view on our INFOtainment display, seems like it would be good INFO to be present there.
Sponsored