First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I was asking about the power port on the camper.. a camper that size should have a 240v/30amp plug in .. which goes to a breaker panel and just like your home, divides the power up to 120v. its basically plug and play...it may need the adapter, I have both .. as I have been to campgrounds that only run 30amp, where my camper is wired for 50.
Oh I see what you are saying - you don't have 240V you have 50a with the 4 prongs, which is 2 independent 50a circuits. If you have 50a service in your RV, you've always been able to plug into a 30a pedestal, with an adapter. The adapter will route the one 30a circuit (3 prongs) to both hot legs of the 50a cord (4 prongs). That's why your RV everything will still work, but you cannot pull more than 30a simultaneously. This is a very standard limitation and known to most campers when booking a campground where they are out of 50a sites or don't have any at all. We do it all the time!

For the generator plug, you need the adapter that takes one of the 120V 30a circuits to create a 3 prong 30a plug, then adapt again to your 50a plug. This is what I will be doing.

As far as I know, there is not an adapter that can phase align the generator's two 120V 30a phases to make a single more robust 120V 30a (theoretical 60a) output. It would short out the inverter. So you run knowing the limitation that your RV is connected to single 30a service, just like at many campgrounds. You will be able to run nearly everything, except dual A/C, or A/C plus say a vacuum or coffeemaker. (Actually once the A/C is steady state you can make a coffee, but if the A/C has turned off, you better not start a coffee or electric kettle because when the compressor kicks on you will trip - turn off the A/C first)
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
By the way, has anyone tried this funky adapter? https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/Camco/CAM55025.html

It sounds good in theory, but with this, for SURE you can only run one A/C as the other A/C will be on the other circuit. To me it would be a total coin toss as to whether my main A/C is on the 30a leg or the 15a leg and I don't know how to know until I try it.

With a single 30a to 50a dogbone, each leg of the 50a service can get a 30a peak to start an A/C. But this adapter would force one leg to the 15a peak, and most coleman/dometic A/C units need about 20a to start (without a soft starter)

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I'm purchasing a Platinum Powerboost with 7.2kW ProPower for the primary reason of towing my 23' Airstream Flying Cloud. Starting this thread so that other Airstream and non-Airstream travel trailer can start to share ideas of what works, what doesn't, what might, etc., while taking advantage of this industry changing power source.

I realize that the thread will be mostly speculation until we have the new F150 in our driveways and garages. But I'm hoping that the experienced and inexperienced members of this group find this thread to share what they are learning.

Doesn't need to be limited to the ProPower on board. Tell us about handling, weight distribution, etc.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the "option" of plugging in my Airstream and running the ridge, etc., while heading to campsites, and thereby saving on the LP (maybe even fire up the AC?). Also looking how well the truck handles as an alternative to 30amp shore power.

Going to be fun!
A family member suggested to me the use case of running the AC for some duration of your trip in order to have the camper cool by the time you get to your destination.

My similar use case is to charge my bass boat batteries on the move.

Can also run a deep freeze while to, during, and from a hunting trip.

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
I was asking about the power port on the camper.. a camper that size should have a 120v/30amp plug in .. which goes to a breaker panel and just like your home, divides the power up to 120v on differnt circuits. its basically plug and play...it may need the adapter, I have both .. as I have been to campgrounds that only run 30amp, where my camper is wired for 50. My second A/C will not run when on 30 amps.. but will off the generator for some reason.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Ordered a Latiat Powerboost with the 7.2kw. I have a 28ft Keystone Hideout bumper pull. My biggest question with the generator is - the 120v outlets are 20amp, but the A/C and electric heater trip 20amp outlets and need 30amps. Only the 240v has the 30amp outlet. The trailer can only take 120v power. Any solutions anyone can think of?
The 240v 30A plug on the 7.2kw Pro Power is a standard generator style outlet, with 2 120v circuits out of phase.. You can get a dog bone to convert that to 120v 30A for use on a 30A trailer. You will just be using one of the two out of phase 120v 30A circuits.

Sponsored

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
I'm purchasing a Platinum Powerboost with 7.2kW ProPower for the primary reason of towing my 23' Airstream Flying Cloud. Starting this thread so that other Airstream and non-Airstream travel trailer can start to share ideas of what works, what doesn't, what might, etc., while taking advantage of this industry changing power source.

I realize that the thread will be mostly speculation until we have the new F150 in our driveways and garages. But I'm hoping that the experienced and inexperienced members of this group find this thread to share what they are learning.

Doesn't need to be limited to the ProPower on board. Tell us about handling, weight distribution, etc.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the "option" of plugging in my Airstream and running the ridge, etc., while heading to campsites, and thereby saving on the LP (maybe even fire up the AC?). Also looking how well the truck handles as an alternative to 30amp shore power.

Going to be fun!
following is a post from Dan Drucker on airstream owners site (air forums.com, 2021 f150 owners thread, post bu ddruker). This is his plan to connect a 30 amp airstream safely....
ddruker
4 Rivet Member
Ford F-150 Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2 4rivet

Ford F-150 Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2 avatar64860_1

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I ordered parts today to convert my Airstream from having a single hard-wired cord and plug in the rear bumper to having two automatically switched stainless steel 30 AMP power inlets, one at the front and one in the rear.

I also ordered a marine grade 30AMP power cord, plus adapters for both standard 120V 30AMP RV outlets found in trailer parks, as well as the 240 V 30AMP outlet in the back of the F150.

The setup includes an automatic transfer switch, which will sense which of the two power inlets is energized, and will automatically switch to the active source, and will isolate the unused source. It will also never allow both power sources to energize to the Airstream simultaneously - only one can ever be connected at a time.

Parts are:

Stainless steel power inlets (2) - > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hole saw for power inlets -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wiring for Inside Airstream -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S12FR6OS&psc=1
Automatic Transfer Switch -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power Cord -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
F150 dogbone power adapter -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RV Park power dogbone adapter -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this shopping list helps. I will post pictures as I perform the installation.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
Ordered a Latiat Powerboost with the 7.2kw. I have a 28ft Keystone Hideout bumper pull. My biggest question with the generator is - the 120v outlets are 20amp, but the A/C and electric heater trip 20amp outlets and need 30amps. Only the 240v has the 30amp outlet. The trailer can only take 120v power. Any solutions anyone can think of?
Looks like a few of us have had the same ideas. My Platinum Powerboost with 7.2kw is due to arrive 03/14 and I'll be towing an Airstream Basecamp 20X. The Airstream shore power hookup is 30 amp / 120 volts but the Pro Power outlet is 30 amp / 240 volts. Does anyone know of an adapter of some sort so that I can hook up the Airstream to my Pro Power outlet?

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
Looks like a few of us have had the same ideas. My Platinum Powerboost with 7.2kw is due to arrive 03/14 and I'll be towing an Airstream Basecamp 20X. The Airstream shore power hookup is 30 amp / 120 volts but the Pro Power outlet is 30 amp / 240 volts. Does anyone know of an adapter of some sort so that I can hook up the Airstream to my Pro Power outlet?
This one should do it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-PowerGrip-4-Prong-Generator-Dogbone-Adapter-55382/310362677

Sponsored

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
This is a nice thread, most helpful for RV'ers. I am still contemplating on getting a PB for a few reasons and one of those are reasons are payload. I currently have a 2017 XLT w/ HDPP so my payload is at 2541 and so far I have not seen any near north of 2000. A family of 4, plus the dog and the kitchen and the kayaks does eat quite a bit of payload so yeah, they don't want to leave those behind lol. One other thing that bums me out is the I loved my DECKED system and based on their info it appears I won't be able to get to the 30A. All in all I am compromising a lot just to move over from the EB to PB. For now I guess I'll just lurk for a bit and live vicariously through you all :) Safe travels!

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’m ready to order a Platinum Powerboost to tow and power our 19 foot Airstream Bambi trailer. This will also be my first experience as the primary driver of the tow vehicle! Really excited for the cameras and back up assist features. Everything is analog on our current Tundra, and I’m going to feel a lot more confident towing solo with this tech!

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
This is a nice thread, most helpful for RV'ers. I am still contemplating on getting a PB for a few reasons and one of those are reasons are payload. I currently have a 2017 XLT w/ HDPP so my payload is at 2541 and so far I have not seen any near north of 2000. A family of 4, plus the dog and the kitchen and the kayaks does eat quite a bit of payload so yeah, they don't want to leave those behind lol. One other thing that bums me out is the I loved my DECKED system and based on their info it appears I won't be able to get to the 30A. All in all I am compromising a lot just to move over from the EB to PB. For now I guess I'll just lurk for a bit and live vicariously through you all :) Safe travels!
So, I must confess, what’s HDPP?

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
So, I must confess, what’s HDPP?
Heavy Duty Payload Package: thicker frame and additional leaf on the rear. This option has been recently trimmed down to XL, XLT and a few Lariat unlike previous year you can get it on higher trim, but don't quote on me :) HDPP is the best payload option to have before moving up to the 250-250 line up.

I love my HDPP, it has everything I need w/o the bells and whistles I don't want. But if PB was available w/ HDPP I'd be on that band wagon in a heartbeat! I stop looking at PB because I have serious impulse buy ha! Once PB is available w/ HDPP on the 150 or even on the 250, I will reconsider again ;)
Sponsored