Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Yes @Big Dog Daddy

I'd like to hear your suggestion. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Sorry @Ldkburra
It's an inside thing. I'm just messing with my buddy. Teeing it up, so to speak.

He is going to give you THE best suggestion. And it is perhaps the ONLY way you are going to get your truck fixed properly.
Gotcha! ๐Ÿคฃ

I can't wait to hear the recommendation though.
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Nope, it says 21146 ๐Ÿ˜ง
Since my dealer doesn't know how to get it updated, do you have any suggestions? ๐Ÿ™
You only have a couple of options, one is to wait and hope that OTA's will eventually be sent to your truck. The second would be to do the updates yourself with a laptop and FDRS, if you're computer savvy and interested in this option, please read the first 2 posts in the FDRS tread. This can cost up to about $800.00 if you go this route. You can maybe save about 500.00 of that if you're willing to wait for a loaner mongoose cable. It took me about 10 hours to update my truck and OTA's have flowed in ever since.

@rugedraw can check your OTA status for you if you send him your VIN, and he also runs a loaner program with his 2 mongoose cables.

Also you should have someone here check your truck for updates in FDRS this will really show you what you would need to update, should you decide on trying FDRS.

There are many people here on the forum that are more than willing to help you and answer your questions, one of them is @Snakebitten

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
You only have a couple of options, one is to wait and hope that OTA's will eventually be sent to your truck. The second would be to do the updates yourself with a laptop and FDRS, if you're computer savvy and interested in this option, please read the first 2 posts in the FDRS tread. This can cost up to about $800.00 if you go this route. You can maybe save about 500.00 of that if you're willing to wait for a loaner mongoose cable. It took me about 10 hours to update my truck and OTA's have flowed in ever since.

@rugedraw can check your OTA status for you if you send him your VIN, and he also runs a loaner program with his 2 mongoose cables.

Also you should have someone here check your truck for updates in FDRS this will really show you what you would need to update, should you decide on trying FDRS.

There are many people here on the forum that are more than willing to help you and answer your questions, one of them is @Snakebitten
Oh boy, not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am certainly not computer savvy!

Do the updates only affect the sync system and not the "mechanics" of the truck? If so, I can live with the sync system the way it is I guess.

Yes this group is awesome. Snakebitten has already helped me with an electrical issue I was having!

My Vin is 1FTFW1E82MFA27152 but if I'm not computer savvy, I'm not sure if that will be helpful at all.

Thanks for your help!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Oh boy, not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am certainly not computer savvy!

Do the updates only affect the sync system and not the "mechanics" of the truck? If so, I can live with the sync system the way it is I guess.

Yes this group is awesome. Snakebitten has already helped me with an electrical issue I was having!

My Vin is 1FTFW1E82MFA27152 but if I'm not computer savvy, I'm not sure if that will be helpful at all.

Thanks for your help!
I wish you weren't so logistically distant. I'd just do the updates for you and then take you to Happy Tacos and make you pay the tab. ๐ŸŒฎ๐ŸŒฎ๐ŸŒฎ๐Ÿ˜œ

Honestly, you don't have to be too "computer savvy", but you do have to be comfortable with sitting in the truck and following the directions on the screen exactly.

Just ponder it for a while.
And at least read Post #1 and ask yourself if it's not a pretty thorough walk through of how to setup for doing the updates yourself.

By the way, lots of fellas in that now infamous thread state that they didn't consider themselves computer savvy enough. Yet.....!

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Thanks for your help!
These trucks depending on options have 25 to 35 modules in them each module is a "small computer" they all work in conjunction with one another to make the truck what it is. Some updates address specific problems others are very minor "tweaks" to software. Each update addresses a specific problem whether you truck has the issue or not. If everything is working fine there's no real reason to do the updates. I've personally found that each update has refined the entire truck.
@Snakebitten chime in here!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As many as 42.
That's FORTY TWO scannable independent modules in one F150 rolling down the road.
If you have all 42, you look back at your truck every time you park it and...... smile. She's loaded. Lol
(MSRP reflects it. So you ponied up for that grin)

It's insane, considering my 2012 F150 has 7. ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿคฃ

How does that thing even run?

Sync4 gets all the oxygen in the room though. Primarily the APIM module. It's by far the one all the fuss is about because..... Well, we're hopelessly addicted to gadgets and features?

I'm not immune, but to be honest I love any and all updates to modules that address shortcomings in the overall drivability of the truck itself. So updates that affect engine management, shifting strategy, braking management, Adaptive cruise, lane Centering...... You get the idea.

These trucks represent a whole new long-term ownership experience because what you left with the day you drove off the lot is no longer what you must settle for over the next 100,000 miles. Instead, as many hundreds of thousands of these trucks enter the field, the collective data of millions of miles and the telemetry gathered is harnessed by the manufacturer. And since the truck is basically a rolling software program, software can be continuously developed and then delivered to the existing fleet!

Sounds awesome in theory. And it is.
But Ford has gotten of to a rather bumpy start regarding the delivery of said improved software to the truck in the field. Thus the many threads like this one.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales

Thanks for your help!
It seems like your truck was stuck in OTA limbo. A trip to a dealership in December of last year got you unstuck as they performed a successful APIM and TCU update. However, after they updated your APIM, I am guessing another update popped up for the APIM, but they were not successful in updating it the second time. I also see your APIM was reset 3 weeks ago, so hopefully that allows for some updates to start coming your way.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Good news! Someone on F150forum reported getting this update today and he's not in the early access program. We should start seeing this roll out to more people sooner than later.

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good news! Someone on F150forum reported getting this update today and he's not in the early access program. We should start seeing this roll out to more people sooner than later.
What model year was the Truck.?
Please say 2021 ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ˜†

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
What model year was the Truck.?
Please say 2021 ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ˜†
2023, but 2022 has the same hardware as 2021 and they've gotten it, so us 2021 owners are just as likely to get it as anyone else.

BIGSTUF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Late to the party, but got 4.2.1 today as wellโ€ฆ

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Just for a data point - I got this update today. The first OTA for my 23.
Same here. First OTA for my 23.
Sponsored