First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat powerboost
Occupation
Hydraulic system designer
My 2002 powerboost crew cab long bed w/ 18k miles gets pretty lousy mileage, all stock. Ford advertises this truck as 23city / 23hwy but I get 16-17.5 city and 16-16.5 highway. I don't hot rod my truck and I stay within a couple mph of the speed limit. My truck is a Lariat, has a fiberglass cap, bed slide, and tow mirrors. Yes I'm a little heavier with the cap, I have the dumbo ears sticking out, but to loose 6-7 mpg over the advertised numbers to me is robbery. These numbers are hand calculated not from the dash. Is it too much to ask for it to come close to the advertised numbers? My wife's 2020 Escape is right on the numbers, why cant the truck be. I've gone to my dealer, there is no codes so no way to tell me if something isn't right. On top of the poor mpg, I have had issues with the truck rolling backwards in drive, rattles on start up, dead peddle, poor shifting, etc. Some the items have been fixed with programming but not all. I've always been a Ford buy but I'm finally at my boiling point with this truck and may look elsewhere. Don't get me started on the shit mileage I get when towing. The only good thing I have to say about the truck is the generator is great.
Sponsored

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium
I haven't been overly impressed with mine yet. Hoping it's due to colder weather. Have a '23 Plat with 2,600 so far. Averaging between 13-17 MPG. Other than that, I do love the truck.

OP
OP

pitsingerk

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I haven't been overly impressed with mine yet. Hoping it's due to colder weather. Have a '23 Plat with 2,600 so far. Averaging between 13-17 MPG. Other than that, I do love the truck.
I do like the truck but I bought it for the mileage. I could have bought a 5.0 or standard 3.5 and saved money on the purchase otherwise.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
>am I the only one with piss poor mpg

Considering that there are multiple threads about this...no.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
My '21 powerboost averaged 23/23 when I bought it (June). During the winter it was 22mpg. The following summer I started towing a 5K lb TT, resulting in 13-14mpg. Not towing, I was getting 25mpg. This winter I made a tire change from the OEM Wranglers to a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3's and now I'm getting 20mpg.

My 16,700 mile average is 19.5. I run 92 octane always.

For a non-modified Powerboost to get no better than 17.5 not towing seems wrong.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I'll tell you that I carefully tracked 2 of these changes on other vehicles,

A camper shell on one truck cost me a solid 2-2.5mpg. To be fair it was a high camper shell.

I added tow mirrors to my SD and lost a solid 1 mpg from that alone.

Winter driving, tire air pressure less than 40 psi, the cheap fuel, plus those spec changes.. yah I could see that mpg happening.

PS. Are you guys seeing hand calculated mpg reading differently than the computer?

OP
OP

pitsingerk

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'll tell you that I carefully tracked 2 of these changes on other vehicles,

A camper shell on one truck cost me a solid 2-2.5mpg. To be fair it was a high camper shell.

I added tow mirrors to my SD and lost a solid 1 mpg from that alone.

Winter driving, tire air pressure less than 40 psi, the cheap fuel, plus those spec changes.. yah I could see that mpg happening.

PS. Are you guys seeing hand calculated mpg reading differently than the computer?
I'm usually 1.5-2.5 mpg lower than the computer states. I have my tires air up to the max. The mpg is year round, it doesn't go up or down.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm usually 1.5-2.5 mpg lower than the computer states. I have my tires air up to the max. The mpg is year round, it doesn't go up or down.
You said earlier that you run a stock truck, so I'm assuming that you haven't leveled your truck or added big tires. However, different builds come with different tires. Airing them up to max might play a role in your relatively poor fuel economy. You may want to consider keeping them at the recommended air pressure on the door panel.

Additionally, your specific driving patterns might play a role. I've noticed that my fuel economy changes drastically depending upon the mix of trips on that fuel cycle. If I've only driven a series of short trips to the grocery store a mile a way over that entire tank of gas, my economy is going to be in the toilet. If I've only been blasting down the interstate at 80mph the whole time, it's also not going to be great. However, I've noticed that I can get it up to 26+ mpg when that tank is mostly longer (40+ miles) trips at "average" speed (say 45mph). It seems like I get optimal mileage when the vehicle has had a chance to warm up to full operating temperature.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There are so many variables.

I repeat the same 23.5 miles to/from the office daily. And although I live in the tropics, when a northerner comes down and we have a few days of legitimate winter weather, it is obvious that role that plays with the Powerboost fuel economy.

For me though, the distance I drive is what gets me at or above the 23mpg EPA ratings.

At 3 miles from the house on a coldstart motor, I'm a dismal 9-14mpg, depending on ambient temps and whether I started the day with a high/low SOC for the Hybrid battery.

At 10 miles the fuel economy starts to approach what I got with my previous 2018 F150 KingRanch Ecoboost. 17-19 mpg

At 15 miles I'm punching in the 20's!

And at 20 miles I'm already dancing the EPA dance.

Truck is bone stock.
Ambient temps are rarely in the 40's or below
I run 93 octane and I've got 9, 10th gear locked out because 55-60mph doesn't need them.

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I have max tow and towing mirrors and my average in the winter so far is ~22 MPG with an even mixture of city and highway driving. The computer is very close to what I calculate. It is a little odd that you are seeing much lower numbers in the city versus the highway given the hybrid because I see my best MPG with a mixture of city/highway versus only highway.

I have two ways that I can commute to the office. One way is a mixture of highway and city and the other is a slightly longer distance, but faster route that is 95% highway and interstate. The elevation drop is about 1500 ft. The route that is a mixture of city and highway, I get between 25 and 31 MPGs versus 22 to 23 MPG on the interstate. Going back home, the gas mileage is closer to 20 and 19. Without the electric miles, my MPG would be very noticeably lower.

With most of our vehicles, we see about a 10 - 15% drop in MPG during the winter including our Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

Lastly, under similar conditions I get about 19 MPG on the highway driving 80 MPH versus about 24 MPG driving 55 MPH. I have never had a full-size pickup (something I can really tow with) and never had a vehicle where the gas mileage was as significantly affected by speed as this F150.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
There are all kinds of variables that affect fuel mileage. Is it possible to get great fuel mileage with a Powerboost? Absolutely, under optimal conditions. I have a 2022 157” FX4 XLT. I just put 26.85 gallons in today with 734 miles on the trip odometer since last fill up. That works out to 27.33mpg. Good temps, longer trips, no hvac, moderate speeds, no mods except tonneau cover, watching pids via obd link, & more all contributed to this. For me, this is about as good as it gets.

Gord096

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
Construction Manager
I have 16K on my ‘22 XLT. The truck says 25.5 mpg lifetime. The Fuelly app has me at 24.2 mpg.

Carbonized22

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ford F150 XLT FX4 Powerboost , 2019 fusion hy
Occupation
Aviation quality inspector
This is an example of the type of gas mileage im getting , i drive 104 miles a day to and from work . The cruise control will drop your MPG its all in the big toe and watching the Tac .
Ford F-150 am I the only one with piss poor mpg 20221206_153015

Fat Vinnie

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Excursion & Expedition 14 CMax 22 PB Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My average MPG over 5000 miles is 20.2
The truck is a 22 PB Lariat 157” tow mirrors and a flush cab shell.
Most of my miles are beach city with stop signs and signals every block. The few short trips were 200 miles from sea level to 8,000 feet and back (3 trips). On other short trips 75ish miles I’m averaging over the 23 MPG highway mark.
So far I’m pleased with the mileage considering the type of driving we do. Hand calculated vs. truck computer is usually within .3 MPG.
Planning a trip to Glacier NP in June, looking forward to seeing what a long trip MPG will look like.
Sponsored