22 f150 (3.5) vs 19 f150 (3.5)

tc429

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 lariat chrome 3.5 - 2022 lariat sport 3.5
after a week and a half in the 22 lariat, just some thoughts on it vs the 19 lariat-

driving;
the 22 has a slight but distinctly smoother ride, and the throttle feels very crisp compared to the 19, esp in sport mode. Oldest son also has a 19 lariat, we took the 22 on a few hour highway trip Saturday, he said same- definitely shocks are better tuned, maybe the new spring rates, but it rides nicer...and throttle map is definitely feeling like 'tuned' as 1/4 throttle feels like 1/2 in the 19s.... Highway wind noise is reduced noticeably- the extra seals on the doors, laminated side glass or something seems to really quiet it on a dry highway cruise. The new B-O radio is immensely louder at default settings than in the 19, and much improved speakers/placement/something... been a few times I found myself cruising along in the 19 with volume at max, and after a day in the shop, it was NOT that loud at all...in the 22, at half volume its freaking LOUD, and crystal clear to boot. great sounding system- and its just the base B-O, not the 'unleashed' with the extra ten speakers either...that must be a concert hall sound system...

Dislikes:
from the drivers seat, the 19 is better sounding vehicle by far. although the 22 wind noise is reduced, if driving in the rain, road spray against the undercarriage is loud as hell- must be way less sound deadener in the floor/lower cowl areas. Looking over, noticed the fenderwells up front are no longer heavy plastic, but similar material to the trash used as engine diaper under the 19... we had a total of four 19 3.5s in the family, the diapers were torn on all 4 by 3 yrs old- all oil changes were by different Ford dealers. the water spray noise I attribute mostly to cheap materials in the fenderwells. Was pretty sad seeing this, as there is no way these fenderwells will hold up as well as plastic- bet a direct blast with a car wash wand could peel them apart.
Aside from increased road spray sound, the 22 also has more typical 3.5 noise in the cabin...the hollow knock of piston slap in a aluminum motor clearanced for high temp/boost will always be louder mechanically than any old iron V8, but again, seems less floorpan/cowl insulation, as its much quieter in the 19's- even if outside their engines have noticeably more rattle sounds from piston slap/phasers/wastegates.
Biggest 'sound' bummer- the noise reduction/fake engine sound in the 22 are both reduced dramatically. the B-O noise cancellation REALLY reduces engine noise in the cabin, perhaps more than insulation- but its definitely more mechanical noise than the 19...sadly(for me) the fake engine noise is so muted you no longer hear the V8 sound in the 22 unless stepping on it pretty hard... normal driving it sounds like the one son's 19 XLT 3.5 did, personally I hate the sound of all V6's and the B-O piped in sound made the 19 lariats truly feel like a stronger bigblock type driving experience...fake or not, it was incredibly effective for those of us who love the sound of a V8... one son couldnt care less about his 19 XLT 3.5s sound, other son hated his XLT 3.5 sound so much, he flipped his lease and bought a Lariat over it... Ford really seriously should have made the fake engine sound adjustable from 'off- to- louder than in a 19' it woulda made everyone happier, as so many folks just dont want to hear engines at all... that said, they shoulda also increased floor/cowl sound deadener, and/or increased the active noise cancellation thru the B-O sound system to hide more... love the power of the 3.5s, but truth be told, mechanically they always sound as if they're a half million miles old LOL.
Biggest let down after the fake engine sound- the two most touched parts in the truck when driving, are the steering wheel and the shifter... the wheel LOOKS great, but the leather feels like cardboard compared to the quality leather on the 19 lariats. feels like the XLTs plastic wheel or worse. darn shame they cheaped-out in the material in a $70k truck... the shifter in the 19 was not the best shaped ive ever used, but had a nice solid feel and buttons are very ergonomic... the 22 shifter feels like it will break, is shaped like a brick, and button layout just is plain stupid compared to the 19. gotta let go of shifter to select a 'manual' button, gotta let go of shifter to select drive modes by a knob on the dash, gotta darn hear lift hand off shifter to retract thumb high enough to reach the manual '+' upshift button... the guy who designed that shifter musta came from the camaro interior design group at GM, if the shifter in the 19 was a '8' out of '10', the shifter in the 22 I'd barely give a '1'. such a simple thing to lay out, and they made it awkward for anything but selecting 'drive/reverse/park, when they had a very good design that at most coulda possibly been reshaped for better feel... the motorized/folding 'feature' makes it feel fragile, and was a totally useless thing to add on trucks without the folding work surface. bummed about the feel of the wheel, frustrated at the backwards leaps they took with that stupid shifter/button/knob layout...

mechanical-
throttle feels like a hair trigger somewhat compared to the 19. both are similar with massive off idle torque, but the gas pedal calibration to the throttle body is quite fast, unless in 'eco' mode where both feel pretty numb... both normal and sport, the 22 throttle is much faster opening, 'normal' in the 22 is comparable to 'sport' in the 19. Transmission shift mapping is better in the 22- but even more annoying in 'sport' mode at not upshifting above 45... hangs free revving at light throttle even worse than the 19 in 'sport', before grabbing 6th and up gears. Ford REALLY should offer a 'custom' mode where you can pick the response...

Dislikes:
rear doors on the 22 are hard to shut. the four 19s we had, never had to slam the doors twice, the 22 every time dropping my son at school, he has to double slam the rear door after grabbing his book bag, near every day when I throw my laptop behind my seat, I gotta do the same...eventually we will get used to it, but they seem to have gotten a bit overzealous in the extra door sealing... front doors are fine, wind noise definitely improved, but the rear doors take twice the 'slam' required compared to the fronts.

Tech-
my 19 didnt come with adaptive cruise...its a 502a, but guess it was optional...sons 19 had adaptive and lane holding, it was pretty cool- but the 22 is better. the big screen is of course much easier to see at a glance when driving, the wireless android auto was a 'its about time!' feature... the factory connected nav is better than the 19's - but a 1980 rand mcnally map woulda been better than that system- but still pales to Waze...thats just sad how a free app is so much better than somethinf you know ford blew big money on... only 2 things I EVER disliked about the 19- the crappy nav system, and the lack of heated wheel button...going three menus deep while driving to cool your frying hands off was silly...took 2 years before realizing turning radio on/off/on gave you a steering wheel button that only took ONE glance off the road was better, but still...the 22 got a real button finally- stupid thing to bitch about, but guarantee theres been crashes from drivers trying to turn off wheel heat instead of watching the road in the 19s...about the ONLY stupid oversight in the 19 interior/layout. The 22 cameras are awesome, as ae the front collision sensors/auto cameras for parking in tight spots- kudos on that bigtime.

dislikes:
android auto/ford+alexa cant be selected via the selection screen...its there, but you gotta go into settings and disable one to use the other...come on. buy the freaking licensing already and quit making drivers type a novel to pick a source instead of driving. PUT BACK THE FAKE ENGINE NOISE TO 19 LEVELS- still the biggest letdown to me on the 22...it sounds like a 19 XLT in normal driving... the 19 lariat sounded like a old bigblock, and felt like it too. Swapping nearly all the buttons across the steering wheel was perhaps a bonehead move... all repeat F150 buyers had to relearn every freaking button locaton- and those of us with both new/late models now are spending time looking away from the road constantly to play scrabble with a layout that gained NOTHING by the flipping around of every button. WHY??? the engineering guys need a talking too... especially whoever came up with the all new shifter-without-modes-without manual-and with awkward buttons-and that feels like harbor freight made it...the shifter looks ok, works ok so far, but compared to the 19, its a freaking mess of a design in comparison

Styling-
new seats are as nice as the 19. new dash looks beautiful, albeit totally different than the 19- both are beautifully laid out, just the 22 is nicer, esp the 12" screen. exterior, both have great lines, great looking trucks. hard to chose 19/22 frpont end looks, both look really good. Back ends- the 19 looks way better to me, just because I never liked the european orange turn signals, and think the white-to-red lenses are already dated/tacky looking... the red lights on the 19 look great day or night, the 22 looks good at night, meh during the day...

dislikes:
not much. for some idiotic reason, powered running boards were not available in space white/sport - even though original order guide pictures were wrong and showed the retractable picture, with 'angular step bar' or similar wording...bummer ford says what you are allowed to want with your color. Similarly, the sport 'black' interior pic in the order guide was all black in january... nor brown and black as the only option for a bluish/gray truck??? they shoulda had the tutone interior as a option. its nice, dont dislike it, but woulda preferred all black.
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I see more bitching than not...if you don't like it...sell it.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
The man is entitled to his opinion.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I don’t think the new ones have any fake engine noise.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Thats gonna take me a week to read lol----Ill take my 19 Limited!

Sponsored

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
I didn't realize anyone actually liked the fake engine noise. Sounds like you should get a v8 and swap out the exhaust, not trying to be critical, but if it's that important to you that would be the right path. Also, no test drive before buying?

ChsTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Schwinn - Waiting on my truck
Thanks for the thorough review. I'm coming from a '15 Platinum and know the 402a I'm waiting on will be leaps and bounds beyond that one. It's funny because I remember picking up the Platinum and feeling guilty for how nice it was and that was in 2018!

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
We can't complain. We're happy as heck in our 2022 fully loaded Platinum. The moment we stepped into it, we were head over heels. :)

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
That is a really detailed and comprehensive review! Enjoyed reading it.. Thank you for taking the time to write it..

I am moving from a 2010 XLT to a 2022 Lariat PB that is fully loaded with everything except max tow package !

So I am going from a "you remove anything from my truck and it stops working" to a rolling computer! It will be interesting.. Supposed to have been built yesterday!

Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I came from a 17 Lariat to a 21 Platinum and the only things I miss are Blue Jeans paint, 5 Star tune and 285/60/20 BFGs. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
after a week and a half in the 22 lariat, just some thoughts on it vs the 19 lariat-

driving;
the 22 has a slight but distinctly smoother ride, and the throttle feels very crisp compared to the 19, esp in sport mode. Oldest son also has a 19 lariat, we took the 22 on a few hour highway trip Saturday, he said same- definitely shocks are better tuned, maybe the new spring rates, but it rides nicer...and throttle map is definitely feeling like 'tuned' as 1/4 throttle feels like 1/2 in the 19s.... Highway wind noise is reduced noticeably- the extra seals on the doors, laminated side glass or something seems to really quiet it on a dry highway cruise. The new B-O radio is immensely louder at default settings than in the 19, and much improved speakers/placement/something... been a few times I found myself cruising along in the 19 with volume at max, and after a day in the shop, it was NOT that loud at all...in the 22, at half volume its freaking LOUD, and crystal clear to boot. great sounding system- and its just the base B-O, not the 'unleashed' with the extra ten speakers either...that must be a concert hall sound system...

Dislikes:
from the drivers seat, the 19 is better sounding vehicle by far. although the 22 wind noise is reduced, if driving in the rain, road spray against the undercarriage is loud as hell- must be way less sound deadener in the floor/lower cowl areas. Looking over, noticed the fenderwells up front are no longer heavy plastic, but similar material to the trash used as engine diaper under the 19... we had a total of four 19 3.5s in the family, the diapers were torn on all 4 by 3 yrs old- all oil changes were by different Ford dealers. the water spray noise I attribute mostly to cheap materials in the fenderwells. Was pretty sad seeing this, as there is no way these fenderwells will hold up as well as plastic- bet a direct blast with a car wash wand could peel them apart.
Aside from increased road spray sound, the 22 also has more typical 3.5 noise in the cabin...the hollow knock of piston slap in a aluminum motor clearanced for high temp/boost will always be louder mechanically than any old iron V8, but again, seems less floorpan/cowl insulation, as its much quieter in the 19's- even if outside their engines have noticeably more rattle sounds from piston slap/phasers/wastegates.
Biggest 'sound' bummer- the noise reduction/fake engine sound in the 22 are both reduced dramatically. the B-O noise cancellation REALLY reduces engine noise in the cabin, perhaps more than insulation- but its definitely more mechanical noise than the 19...sadly(for me) the fake engine noise is so muted you no longer hear the V8 sound in the 22 unless stepping on it pretty hard... normal driving it sounds like the one son's 19 XLT 3.5 did, personally I hate the sound of all V6's and the B-O piped in sound made the 19 lariats truly feel like a stronger bigblock type driving experience...fake or not, it was incredibly effective for those of us who love the sound of a V8... one son couldnt care less about his 19 XLT 3.5s sound, other son hated his XLT 3.5 sound so much, he flipped his lease and bought a Lariat over it... Ford really seriously should have made the fake engine sound adjustable from 'off- to- louder than in a 19' it woulda made everyone happier, as so many folks just dont want to hear engines at all... that said, they shoulda also increased floor/cowl sound deadener, and/or increased the active noise cancellation thru the B-O sound system to hide more... love the power of the 3.5s, but truth be told, mechanically they always sound as if they're a half million miles old LOL.
Biggest let down after the fake engine sound- the two most touched parts in the truck when driving, are the steering wheel and the shifter... the wheel LOOKS great, but the leather feels like cardboard compared to the quality leather on the 19 lariats. feels like the XLTs plastic wheel or worse. darn shame they cheaped-out in the material in a $70k truck... the shifter in the 19 was not the best shaped ive ever used, but had a nice solid feel and buttons are very ergonomic... the 22 shifter feels like it will break, is shaped like a brick, and button layout just is plain stupid compared to the 19. gotta let go of shifter to select a 'manual' button, gotta let go of shifter to select drive modes by a knob on the dash, gotta darn hear lift hand off shifter to retract thumb high enough to reach the manual '+' upshift button... the guy who designed that shifter musta came from the camaro interior design group at GM, if the shifter in the 19 was a '8' out of '10', the shifter in the 22 I'd barely give a '1'. such a simple thing to lay out, and they made it awkward for anything but selecting 'drive/reverse/park, when they had a very good design that at most coulda possibly been reshaped for better feel... the motorized/folding 'feature' makes it feel fragile, and was a totally useless thing to add on trucks without the folding work surface. bummed about the feel of the wheel, frustrated at the backwards leaps they took with that stupid shifter/button/knob layout...

mechanical-
throttle feels like a hair trigger somewhat compared to the 19. both are similar with massive off idle torque, but the gas pedal calibration to the throttle body is quite fast, unless in 'eco' mode where both feel pretty numb... both normal and sport, the 22 throttle is much faster opening, 'normal' in the 22 is comparable to 'sport' in the 19. Transmission shift mapping is better in the 22- but even more annoying in 'sport' mode at not upshifting above 45... hangs free revving at light throttle even worse than the 19 in 'sport', before grabbing 6th and up gears. Ford REALLY should offer a 'custom' mode where you can pick the response...

Dislikes:
rear doors on the 22 are hard to shut. the four 19s we had, never had to slam the doors twice, the 22 every time dropping my son at school, he has to double slam the rear door after grabbing his book bag, near every day when I throw my laptop behind my seat, I gotta do the same...eventually we will get used to it, but they seem to have gotten a bit overzealous in the extra door sealing... front doors are fine, wind noise definitely improved, but the rear doors take twice the 'slam' required compared to the fronts.

Tech-
my 19 didnt come with adaptive cruise...its a 502a, but guess it was optional...sons 19 had adaptive and lane holding, it was pretty cool- but the 22 is better. the big screen is of course much easier to see at a glance when driving, the wireless android auto was a 'its about time!' feature... the factory connected nav is better than the 19's - but a 1980 rand mcnally map woulda been better than that system- but still pales to Waze...thats just sad how a free app is so much better than somethinf you know ford blew big money on... only 2 things I EVER disliked about the 19- the crappy nav system, and the lack of heated wheel button...going three menus deep while driving to cool your frying hands off was silly...took 2 years before realizing turning radio on/off/on gave you a steering wheel button that only took ONE glance off the road was better, but still...the 22 got a real button finally- stupid thing to bitch about, but guarantee theres been crashes from drivers trying to turn off wheel heat instead of watching the road in the 19s...about the ONLY stupid oversight in the 19 interior/layout. The 22 cameras are awesome, as ae the front collision sensors/auto cameras for parking in tight spots- kudos on that bigtime.

dislikes:
android auto/ford+alexa cant be selected via the selection screen...its there, but you gotta go into settings and disable one to use the other...come on. buy the freaking licensing already and quit making drivers type a novel to pick a source instead of driving. PUT BACK THE FAKE ENGINE NOISE TO 19 LEVELS- still the biggest letdown to me on the 22...it sounds like a 19 XLT in normal driving... the 19 lariat sounded like a old bigblock, and felt like it too. Swapping nearly all the buttons across the steering wheel was perhaps a bonehead move... all repeat F150 buyers had to relearn every freaking button locaton- and those of us with both new/late models now are spending time looking away from the road constantly to play scrabble with a layout that gained NOTHING by the flipping around of every button. WHY??? the engineering guys need a talking too... especially whoever came up with the all new shifter-without-modes-without manual-and with awkward buttons-and that feels like harbor freight made it...the shifter looks ok, works ok so far, but compared to the 19, its a freaking mess of a design in comparison

Styling-
new seats are as nice as the 19. new dash looks beautiful, albeit totally different than the 19- both are beautifully laid out, just the 22 is nicer, esp the 12" screen. exterior, both have great lines, great looking trucks. hard to chose 19/22 frpont end looks, both look really good. Back ends- the 19 looks way better to me, just because I never liked the european orange turn signals, and think the white-to-red lenses are already dated/tacky looking... the red lights on the 19 look great day or night, the 22 looks good at night, meh during the day...

dislikes:
not much. for some idiotic reason, powered running boards were not available in space white/sport - even though original order guide pictures were wrong and showed the retractable picture, with 'angular step bar' or similar wording...bummer ford says what you are allowed to want with your color. Similarly, the sport 'black' interior pic in the order guide was all black in january... nor brown and black as the only option for a bluish/gray truck??? they shoulda had the tutone interior as a option. its nice, dont dislike it, but woulda preferred all black.
Does your 22 have the CCD suspension available on 502a and up?

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Thats gonna take me a week to read lol----Ill take my 19 Limited!
YEP ----Ill take my 19 Limited too with the Raptor engine lol!!!! I may look at the re-designed 24/25 Limited when it comes out lol!!!! I will be COBB tuning my Limited in about 2 months!!!

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
When the Gen14 first came out, I didn't like the exterior styling at all. It has definitely grown on me and with my 22 I have made it look fantastic with mods.

That said, I still feel the previous generation was an overall better exterior design. The new tail lights are pretty bad, the chrome/red mix I really struggle with.

The interior is miles ahead though, in my opinion.

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Screw 3.5EB max tow
Occupation
Tech
Thank you for the detailed opinion. Two of my friends said the same thing about the ride difference coming from 19’s into the 22. For the past 18 years I had two Ram 2500s with the Cummins. So I just jumped from a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Larami. I had two different F150s, a 1995 and a 2004. So this truck is a total shock to my senses. It’s the nicest riding, handling and looking vehicle I’ve ever owned. It rides better than any car I’ve owned. I have no complaints at all.
Sponsored