First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I've been spending quite a bit of time researching F150's and am pretty sure I'll (eventually...!) go for one ($ & availability pending, lol). Likely it would be a 4x4, SCREW, 5.5 bed, XLT-level, likely the 2.7L or MAYBE the Powerboost (mostly because I have an illogical dream of boondocking someday but I believe the 2.7L will otherwise fulfill 99% of my needs).

But was curious if anyone has owned or seriously considered the GMC Sierra 1500 series or Silverado series? I mostly ask because I found out a neighbor who I've met multiple times is a senior dude at a local dealer. While I haven't talked to him yet on this subject, I have a sliver of hope he would be able to help a bit more on pricing than just a random dealer guy further away.

From my research so far, it really does appear the F150 has a bit more 'bang for the buck' in terms of payload/towing capacity. I gather the GMCs are a bit pricier but are supposed to be a bit nicer/more features. I'll definitely test drive all 3; as a newbie to trucks, I'm not really emotionally attached to ANY brand (my current vehicles are Honda & Toyota but am not interested in Tundra, Ridgeline or Tacoma). I'm also not interested in the Ram - sounds silly, but I don't really like the looks of them, and a mechanic friend of mine says nothing but ill things about Rams (he owns 2 Fords and recommended GMC to me as well).

Anyway, notwithstanding any loyalties here (on an F150 forum, haha), did anyone else test more than the F150, come from a newer model GMC/Chevy, or even go back to a GMC/Chevy?

Many thanks!
Sponsored

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Been a GM man all my life and I really wanted my next truck to be a GMC. I always look for the best possible offering and the F-150 just stood above all the others. The PowerBoost is an amazing package, the ProPower option is awesome, the body is aluminum so it won't rust out and Ford let's you configure the truck in many more ways than the competition.

Build a spread sheet for yourself and compare all the specs, then note the pros & cons. I think it will help you decide.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I considered a GM, but then heard of the lifter issues on the 5.3 and 6.2, so opted for the F150.
Now the lifter issue "may" be fixe...but didn't feel like messing with it to find out.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks all! I've started a spreadsheet, but have to admit its hard to compare apples-to-apples.

One things I've noticed so far (at least on the Silverado, haven't checked the Sierra): I can't select a max trailer AND off-road protection package. I'm pretty sure last time the Ford.ca build site worked (its very limited right now), one could select both. So the 2.7L could get a 'payload package' to maximize its GVWR AND have off-road protection (tho one can only guess how the off-road pkg affects available payload; the documents that have been listed on other threads don't make it clear or easy to find).

Most of the trucks available locally are with the 3.0L Duramax, and I've been seeing warning threads on them. Whether that's indicative of true expected reliability is always hard to say (just like how we see problem threads on here). I do like the 2.7L Ecoboost - i've hardly seen anything negative about that engine.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I considered a GM, but then heard of the lifter issues on the 5.3 and 6.2, so opted for the F150.
Now the lifter issue "may" be fixe...but didn't feel like messing with it to find out.
Ah, thanks for highlighting that! Coming from a Toyota/Honda, I'm blissfully unaware of major engine problems but know that a multitude of issues are more likely with 1/2t trucks.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Drive both and see which one you prefer.

One feature I like about the SLE / LT trims in the GM's vs the XLT is they have an auto 4wd mode which is handy if you live in the snow belt. Ford makes you step up to a Lariat to get that feature.

Ultimately went with an F150.

(I have owned several GM truckS and SUV's in the past though. Current truck is a '15 F150)

BeerBottleWizard

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost (when they build it)
I've been a lifelong GM guy. I went with Ford this time around over the GM for a few reasons.

The main reason is because I had a simple requirement for the GM 6.2L and ventilated seats. The only way I could get that combo was to go up to a $15k higher package or get a GMC SLT with all the tacky chrome on it. I started looking at Ford and they offer that combo in a reasonable trim level without having to break the bank.

I also wanted the quickest truck I could get. It's silly for a truck, but I want something with a decent torque number to get a decent take off.

I was really excited for the new GM redesign, but it's just not worth paying way above MSRP to get one when I found a dealer willing to order a Lariat for a touch below MSRP.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've started a spreadsheet, but have to admit its hard to compare apples-to-apples.
I would stick to the basics on the models you want to consider: MSRP, horsepower, torque, MPG, payload, towing capacity, etc. Think of how many years you plan to own the truck and extrapolate the estimated total cost of ownership. So for example I might plan on 10 years of ownership and fuel might cost me $1,700 / year x 10 plus the purchase price. You can also throw insurance & registration on there but those should be about a wash. Easy to plug some formulas in to populate the cells as you make changes.

Then Pros & Cons for each model - what do you like and what don't you like. Keep it simple.

Fueleconomy.gov has a great comparison guide and you can personalize it for your annual mileage and the price of fuel in your area.

gatruck2022

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Sierra 2018 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Retired
I had a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT loaded up like a Denali. I went with it because of the axle ratio (3.92). If you went up to the Denali trim you had to go with the lower axle ratio (3.08 i think). I had a 2015 and a 2018. Both had the 5.3 and both of them had lifter issues and the 2018 the transmission shifting extremely hard. I usually noticed this when I would leave in the morning and back up my drive way to the road. When I shifted to drive it would jerk very hard and jolt my body. No I did not shift while the vehicle was moving. Had it to the dealer several times and they said that it was within specs.

I did order the F150 this time but have been waiting since I ordered in Nov 21'. Still no VIN. I will say that if you are looking to order the Chevy/GMC and you want towing mirrors, this option is no longer available on the 1500's. I may look at getting the GMC now and go with the 6.2!

Majorplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I like the exterior styling of each equally, but at the end of the day, the many many different combos of truck you can build through Ford just makes it way more of “my” truck when it’s all said and done. GM is all pretty standard and boring across the line when it comes to colors and interiors. Buddy of mine has a 21 Sierra AT4 and the interior just seems so outdated with the small screen. Ford has always and continues to blow them away in the interior game. I frequently have people comment on just how roomy my crew cab F150s are, from my 13 to my 16, and soon my 22.

Sponsored

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea but the refereshed 22' GM interiors look awesome... I really like what they did. I wish I could take the looks of the 22' GMC Denali and combine it with the features and capability of the Ford. Truly would be the perfect truck in my mind.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yea but the refereshed 22' GM interiors look awesome... I really like what they did. I wish I could take the looks of the 22' GMC Denali and combine it with the features and capability of the Ford. Truly would be the perfect truck in my mind.
When I told my wife about the F150 I was looking at getting, she said "I really like the new GMC trucks" so I looked them up (not knowing they did a refresh).

I think they look really cool. I'm iffy on the grill (looks like something with it's upper lip being pulled back if you ask me), but like you, I loved the interior. I like what they did with the screens and just the whole layout. I really appreciate that they do Google Assistant rather than Alexa (I hate that you can't have both or have the option of either without having to choose a different brand of vehicle! Same with LTE services!).

In the end, while my wife almost had me convinced, the F150 was there for me to take it. I had a full month to decide if I wanted to get it or not and I couldn't find a GMC that was comperatively priced (I got my f150 $4k under sticker) during that time (or find one at all!). The Only GMC dealers local to me are rip offs and the ones on the coasts are just as bad or worse. So I got the F150. Partly because my Ford Dealer is simply amazing, partly because I had such a great experience with my '17 Lariat (who I got from said dealer for $12k under sticker 4.5 years ago), partly because they had somethign close to what I wanted on Lot, and partly due to a lack of other reasonable options (though this was only a small part of the equation).

It was a perfect storm for me and the F150 I got. Couldn't turn it down and don't regret it.

Bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A EB BAP (ordered 1/15)
I drove a 2014 V6 Silverado for 6 years before ordering my F150 this year. Bought the Silverado used with about 28k miles. I am not mechanically inclined so I don't recall the details, but I started having some really bad luck with it at 75k miles. Ended up with back to back engine repairs at 1.2k a piece within 18 months. Not to mention some repairs around suspension (not lifted/leveled - 100% stock) and some electrical issues.

It started running rough again, so I ended up selling it before anything went wrong again at 78k miles. Honestly, I do love the interior of the refresh on the new Silverado, but I get X plan pricing through work so I decided to take a shot with Ford for my next truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I wish the multi-function gate in the GMC's/Chevy's was available on the F150 too - very clever design, IMO!

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch, 601A, PB, 4x2, AMB/SG
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, I've owned four Chevrolet trucks over the last 50 years and was planning to get a new GMC 1500 Denali with the 3.0 Duramax diesel. It would have replaced my 2013 Siverado 2500HD LTZ with 6.6L Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. It had 130K miles and I sold it last July in anticipation of a new truck.

I've never owned a Ford, but five things convinced me to switch:
1) Powerboost full HEV
2) 7.2kW ProPower
3) BlueCruise
4) Massage seats
5) Dual moon roof

TBH the last thing in the world I thought I would do is get a Ford, but the technology won out. I just wish Ford would adopt the head-up display like GMC.
Sponsored