Sponsored

What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150?

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Interesting that you didn't get the 7.2 Kw option. Guess that's why Ford provides so many options, and trim levels. For me, the 7.2 Kw was the reason I got such new technology in basicly the 1st generation. I do a lot of boondocking, and I was tired of hauling 2 Honda generators and the gas needed to run them in order to run the A/C.

Also, when stopped at a Walmart, I can plug the trailer into my truck in order to run the A/C so I can get some sleep.
These trucks are really gonna take the Boondocking out of Boondocking. Maybe someday I'll do it again, but im to old to and lazy to fetch water and drag generators around.
I try and get full service sites these days, I hate waiting in line at the dump and need my AC.
Sponsored

Reactions: 780

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
The 7.2kw PPoB was the primary reason I got the PB. Nothing like a weekend boondocking in the mountains with no power concerns and no noisy generator and no people. The PB totally enhances the experience. It’s always a matter of personal preference, but I could not imagine pulling a TT with a PB without this $750 option. My payload is 1441. Trailer is a Micro Minnie 2100BH. I just weighed at a CAT scale here are the results:

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 112202A3-4B31-4A5D-A3E9-55C073C5C4E9

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I try and get full service sites these days, I hate waiting in line at the dump and need my AC.
This is why I skipped PowerBoost. Figured everywhere we camp has power so why not have the extra payload.

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
This is the biggest I'm towing behind my long-wheelbase F150. It was "sporty" towing the load with my Taco.
Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 20160704_113803-X3

• Wow
Reactions: 780

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
This is the biggest I'm towing behind my long-wheelbase F150. It was "sporty" towing the load with my Taco.
20160704_113803-X3.jpg
One of those rare cases where you don't want sporty.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Out in California the total length of the tow vehicle and trailer make a great deal of difference in being able to merge safely at freeway onramps. Most motorists and this includes the guys driving tractors and pulling a set of doubles, stay in the right lane and do not move over to let people on the freeway (life in America). My last truck had a V-8 diesel that produced more than 700 lb ft of torque but I still would not want to tow a trailer longer than 28 feet.

In state parks and US Forest campgrounds there are very few spaces that will accommodate a trailer that is longer than 28 feet. If the 40' space is already occupied by someone with their sports car and they are tent camping, you will need to find another space.

Best RV Lengths for National Parks - All of the numbers included here are the COMBINED lengths of the tow vehicle and the trailer/fifth wheel, or the motorhome and the towed vehicle. So you need to add the length of the RV and the vehicle together.

Here are the averages:
  • RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.
  • RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
  • RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
Pop-up hard side trailers are a good option as the air drag can be 50% less than a standard travel trailer. Accelerating to 60 mph the air drag at 60 mph is 4x as great as at 30 mph and it is not so much the weight of the trailer but its frontal area (covered in the Ford towing guide).

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Out in California the total length of the tow vehicle and trailer make a great deal of difference in being able to merge safely at freeway onramps. Most motorists and this includes the guys driving tractors and pulling a set of doubles, stay in the right lane and do not move over to let people on the freeway (life in America). My last truck had a V-8 diesel that produced more than 700 lb ft of torque but I still would not want to tow a trailer longer than 28 feet.

In state parks and US Forest campgrounds there are very few spaces that will accommodate a trailer that is longer than 28 feet. If the 40' space is already occupied by someone with their sports car and they are tent camping, you will need to find another space.

Best RV Lengths for National Parks - All of the numbers included here are the COMBINED lengths of the tow vehicle and the trailer/fifth wheel, or the motorhome and the towed vehicle. So you need to add the length of the RV and the vehicle together.

Here are the averages:
  • RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
Pop-up hard side trailers are a good option as the air drag can be 50% less than a standard travel trailer. Accelerating to 60 mph the air drag at 60 mph is 4x as great as at 30 mph and it is not so much the weight of the trailer but its frontal area (covered in the Ford towing guide).
Are you sure those lengths include the tow vehicle? In 2018 I had a F150 Supercab with 8' box (20.8') and a 27' travel trailer which together equals 47.8 feet. However there were few sites I couldn't park in, in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4

Here are the averages:
I would say our Parks in Alberta are similar. This is why I don't want to go much bigger than a 24 footer. (Not including hitch length) These are on our radar:

https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/minnie/2301bhs

https://www.keystonerv.com/product/bullet/comfort-travel-trailers/floorplans/250BHSWE

Pinki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum PB. Taurus SHO
Occupation
Retired
Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. Travel trailers are the worst thing to tow, because these have high cabinets, top mounted air conditioners. shifting dishes and coolers, sloshing water tanks, lopsided pop outs and a huge front facing wind stopper. the total weight and length is almost entirely irrelevant (tounge weight is relevant obviously).

2. trucks with 0 miles are super solid and will out tow trucks with 100k.

3. Stock travel trailer tires generally suck something awful.

In my opinion length is way less important than height and width.

crawl under the trailer and look at where the white tank is on several trailers and get an idea of how it will affect your load.

be mindful of how you load your trailer, dont put 50 cans of food in the upper cabinets. get paper plates instead of heaver washable solid plates. store most stuff in the lower cabinets. think about what all your going to put in it, how carefully you will load it each time.

tow with your water tank full or empty not half.

im sure if you research trailer specifics you will have a very enjoyable towing experience with your f150 no matter what bumper pull trailer you buy.

lots of trailers cannot be optimized enough, this is where WDH come into play. if that doesn't work truck mods. but focus on getting the right trailer for what you plan to do with it.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
It's all about Cargo Capacity, not Towing Capacity.
The mighty Ecoboost and Powerboost can "tow" like a freight train. They have more horsepower and as much torque as the classic F350 7.3 Power stroke of yesterdecade had. They truly are powerful trucks.
But they are 1/2 ton chassis with 1/2 ton payloads.

Now if Ford would allow us to put the Powerboost in the HDPP F150 chassis?
THAT would be the RV King of the 1/2 ton world!

Wouldn't you love your Powerboost with this sticker? (CrewCab 2WD)

maxpay1.jpg
or if you can live with a well optioned 157 XL PB

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired

1. Travel trailers are the worst thing to tow, because these have high cabinets, top mounted air conditioners. shifting dishes and coolers, sloshing water tanks, lopsided pop outs and a huge front facing wind stopper. the total weight and length is almost entirely irrelevant (tounge weight is relevant obviously).

crawl under the trailer and look at where the white tank is on several trailers and get an idea of how it will affect your load.

be mindful of how you load your trailer, dont put 50 cans of food in the upper cabinets. get paper plates instead of heaver washable solid plates. store most stuff in the lower cabinets. think about what all your going to put in it, how carefully you will load it each time.

im sure if you research trailer specifics you will have a very enjoyable towing experience with your f150 no matter what bumper pull trailer you buy.

lots of trailers cannot be optimized enough, this is where WDH come into play. if that doesn't work truck mods. but focus on getting the right trailer for what you plan to do with it.
That was pretty sound advice.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter

I totally get the full or empty thoughts process for the water tank. I do put a few gallons in mine so the ladies can use the toilet in the camper rather than the rest stop. I've never noticed any issue. I'm sure a half tank sloshing back and forth would be noticeable.
This is great advice, especially for those new to towing.
Sponsored