Sponsored

What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes it’s about a hundred pounds below that. It will sneak up with gear but I will still be within the limit. I appreciate the concern and heads up to payload.

As I am seasonal I will not be towing our camper often. For the limited number of times towing it per year i don’t want a SD as a daily driver.

I like your kayak setup! What did you end up going with for the tonneau and rack config for this set up?
Which keystone cougar are you referring to? I did a LOT of research on nearly every brand so as to maximize luxury and remain within 30' and <8000# GVWR and there is no way I could make a cougar work within my comfort. We wanted to downsize from our Imagine 2800BH (length 32' with 7995# GVWR) and settled on an Imagine 2500RL (30' with 7495# GVWR). So which cougar do you mean? Because the hitch weight listed is DRY and I guarantee you will be near 1000# with battery and propanes and some cargo.

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 1642547619758

My experience has been using an F150 EB since 2017 with my 2800BH and now a KR powerboost that I pulled the 2800BH with a few times before getting our 2500RL.

I would not go any longer or heavier than what I had, and I limit myself to 60mph for comfort. The issue is NEVER pulling or braking, it is cross winds (cannot imagine MORE wind wall than I had), dips, bumps, and passing semis/motorhomes. I also use an overrated WDH.

So while you CAN do it and go over payload (I have on some trips) you need to be well aware and proceed with caution as dry hitch weight is not the right number to use from above. And just know that any speed over 60mph and any cross winds >15mph are going to feel uncomfortable with a 35' wind wall.

Lastly, for what its worth: When I researched to attempt an upgrade we really liked Grand Design Reflection, Keystone Cougars, Outdoors RV, and some Rockwoods. However, you cannot get anything of decent size (30') for <8000# and <700# dry hitch with those lineups. The only one that seems to balance luxury and weight perfectly is Grand Design Imagine (Lance also but too rich for my blood) to fit within an F150.

Best of luck finding the right fit for you!
Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Which keystone cougar are you referring to? I did a LOT of research on nearly every brand so as to maximize luxury and remain within 30' and <8000# GVWR and there is no way I could make a cougar work within my comfort. We wanted to downsize from our Imagine 2800BH (length 32' with 7995# GVWR) and settled on an Imagine 2500RL (30' with 7495# GVWR). So which cougar do you mean? Because the hitch weight listed is DRY and I guarantee you will be near 1000# with battery and propanes and some cargo.

1642547619758.png

My experience has been using an F150 EB since 2017 with my 2800BH and now a KR powerboost that I pulled the 2800BH with a few times before getting our 2500RL.

I would not go any longer or heavier than what I had, and I limit myself to 60mph for comfort. The issue is NEVER pulling or braking, it is cross winds (cannot imagine MORE wind wall than I had), dips, bumps, and passing semis/motorhomes. I also use an overrated WDH.

So while you CAN do it and go over payload (I have on some trips) you need to be well aware and proceed with caution as dry hitch weight is not the right number to use from above. And just know that any speed over 60mph and any cross winds >15mph are going to feel uncomfortable with a 35' wind wall.

Lastly, for what its worth: When I researched to attempt an upgrade we really liked Grand Design Reflection, Keystone Cougars, Outdoors RV, and some Rockwoods. However, you cannot get anything of decent size (30') for <8000# and <700# dry hitch with those lineups. The only one that seems to balance luxury and weight perfectly is Grand Design Imagine (Lance also but too rich for my blood) to fit within an F150.

I’ve also done a lot of research in the different RV brands, floor plans, size, etc. We have been renting from RV share and I’ve toyed with the idea for years of picking up our own. I just can’t justify the cost since we would be paying $3k a year to store it and insure it. That’s basically three weeks of a TT rental on RV share so it just doesn’t make sense for me. Anyways, if I were to pick one up to tow with my PB it would be a Freedom Express. They have lots of floor plans that are good for families and they are decently built with reasonable weight. They aren’t a Cougar or Lance but they are better than a lot of the brands in the same price range.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost

1642547619758.png

Which Grand Design Imagine we’re you looking at?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Which Grand Design Imagine we’re you looking at?
As mentioned in my post, we had a 2800BH for 4 years, loved it. But our girls won't be with us soon and bunks become dedicated space you cannot repurpose. So we downsized in weight and length to the 2500RL, which has incredible weight to luxury/open floorplan feel to it. The newest version has so much counterspace and has 270 degrees of windows out the living area for open views of the campsite (like rivers where we tend to go).

The 2600RB is apparently their best seller, followed by the 2500RL. Don't know your needs as far as kids or gear but here is the link for all their (Imagine) models: https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2022/travel-trailer/imagine/floorplans

The Imagine XLS ones are ideal sized for an F150 but I assume since you were looking at a huge cougar that smaller trailers wouldn't be of interest. But look at the weights compared to other manufacturors in these sizes.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
I would point out that adding the weight distributing hitch makes it a lot more stable - my first 3,000-mile tow up and back I-95 last summer was without this due to having the old surge brake trailer system. Coming back to Florida a couple weeks ago I had the new weight distributing hitch and dual-axle brake upgrade on the trailer - was a whole new deal - way better - again, similar to towing with my F-350. Still not the right truck, but the right setup for this truck.

Pic of the new hitch setup. My trailer tongue weight is 850 pounds, I am 200 pounds, the kayaks total 275 pounds with the rack, so with nothing else, I am at 1,325 on paper, technically 85 pounds over the payload spec. However, the scales say otherwise, that I am 30 pounds under GVWR, and below both front and rear GAWR. Another factor is that I upgraded the OEM lightweight tires to true E-rated truck tires, so added some reserve, albeit not increasing the legal payload or overall truck capacity should there be a need to defend the rig's setup in court. But it is as tight as can be, and no hitchhikers or wives can ride along.

F150rack.jpg

F150capacity.jpg
Curious what you used to level your setup on the truck with this boat? Only WDH?

Sponsored

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Got my eyes on a 2600RB when the timing is right.. Probably the heaviest / longest I'd want to tow.

OP
OP
70Mach1

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order

1642547619758.png

Thanks for the feedback. This will be my 5th camper. Huge GD fan as my last 2 campers were Reflection 5th wheels. I actually put a deposit on a imagine 2800, but after sleeping on it I don’t think I will move fwd with it. Quality is great but coming from my 31MB the 2800 isn’t open enough for me. I would like more windows on the door side and back to see the camp site. Plus I will miss having a fireplace. We surprisingly use that a lot over propane. We will be seasonal the majority of the season. I am only planning on towing a camper for two trips a year to switch it up.

What WDH did you have? I used equalizer for my last bumper pull but this was a good 15 yrs ago.

I am looking at the cougar 30bhs. New model this year.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Curious what you used to level your setup on the truck with this boat? Only WDH?
The WDH would level it as shown by itself if I moved the bars up one notch, but that would add a lot of pressure to the ball and hitch system, and I already hav the three axles within GAWR spec per axle. I also have airbags, set fairly low, with 30 pounds of pressure. It gives a nice balance, with the arch set at 40”, 1” below the standard stance. In reality, the airbags aren’t necessary now that I’ve re-done the trailer to add weight distribution and four-wheel electric-over-hydraulic brakes (a $9,000 investment just for the trailer upgrades, plus $1,100 for the hitch system), but since I had already added the bags last spring to try another way of balancing the truck and trailer, I use them to reduce stress on the weight distribution system, and it lends a nice, solid tracking feel to the whole rig. The setup now is about as close to driving my F-350 with the same trailer as one can get with a half-ton F-150 - feels pretty much identical, and is actually quicker to highway speeds as the PowerBoost is a beast, supplemented by the electric motor. And of course, it is a lot quieter than a Powerstroke diesel. But gets about half the MPG doing the same job. Not bitching at all, can afford the fuel, just stating the reality.

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
The WDH would level it as shown by itself if I moved the bars up one notch, but that would add a lot of pressure to the ball and hitch system, and I already hav the three axles within GAWR spec per axle. I also have airbags, set fairly low, with 30 pounds of pressure. It gives a nice balance, with the arch set at 40”, 1” below the standard stance. In reality, the airbags aren’t necessary now that I’ve re-done the trailer to add weight distribution and four-wheel electric-over-hydraulic brakes (a $9,000 investment just for the trailer upgrades, plus $1,100 for the hitch system), but since I had already added the bags last spring to try another way of balancing the truck and trailer, I use them to reduce stress on the weight distribution system, and it lends a nice, solid tracking feel to the whole rig. The setup now is about as close to driving my F-350 with the same trailer as one can get with a half-ton F-150 - feels pretty much identical, and is actually quicker to highway speeds as the PowerBoost is a beast, supplemented by the electric motor. And of course, it is a lot quieter than a Powerstroke diesel. But gets about half the MPG doing the same job. Not bitching at all, can afford the fuel, just stating the reality.
If you don't mind me asking, which airbag kit are you using? I'm considering installing them on my truck as well. I believe the Firestone kits are out because they mount outboard of the frame rails and interfere with the leveling arms on the suspension. When I last looked at the Airlift option I thought it would work since it mounts inboard and I had seen other says they were using it. However, when I looked again, it now says they are not compatible with powerboost trucks.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
If you don't mind me asking, which airbag kit are you using? I'm considering installing them on my truck as well. I believe the Firestone kits are out because they mount outboard of the frame rails and interfere with the leveling arms on the suspension. When I last looked at the Airlift option I thought it would work since it mounts inboard and I had seen other says they were using it. However, when I looked again, it now says they are not compatible with powerboost trucks.
I have the AirLift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate+, which is designed specifically to deal with the 2021+ F-150 bracket for headlight and other suspension leveling. They work great, probably overkill in my situation, but belt and suspenders. I've had Firestone on other trucks, don't see quality differences, do like the wireless control system available with the current AirLift models.

Sponsored

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
I have the AirLift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate+, which is designed specifically to deal with the 2021+ F-150 bracket for headlight and other suspension leveling. They work great, probably overkill in my situation, but belt and suspenders. I've had Firestone on other trucks, don't see quality differences, do like the wireless control system available with the current AirLift models.
Good to know. I'm definitely tracking on the Airlift but they product fitment guide says they're not compatible with the powerboost due to clearance issues from the fuel tank being moved back several inches. I've seen others have said that it fit fine. Supposedly there is an updated bracket in development for the powerboost application due out sometime around April. I'm in no hurry yet, so I'll wait and see. Thanks again.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Towing a 2021 Jayco 267 BHS with a WDH (Equalizer). Gross Weight loaded is 7,000lbs. Family of 5 with gear.

21 F150 with Lariat, max tow and 3.5L, 2kw generator = payload sticker 1729lbs (avoided any other options to keep the payload up while getting the luxury of a Lariet).

Towed last year through the maritimes putting on 5,000kms in August. F150 handled it, very little sway, and even lane keep assist worked like 60% of the time! I did have the trailer brake malfunction issue. Average fuel economy was ranging between 25L/100kms up to 28L/100Kkms on the highway.

In the hilly areas, 3.5L struggled to pull up steeper inclines, but for a 1/2 ton, i am overall pleased with the setup.. if i did it again, i think i woudl go with a smaller trailer with out a slide.

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 1643903685986

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Towing a 2021 Jayco 267 BHS with a WDH (Equalizer). Gross Weight loaded is 7,000lbs. Family of 5 with gear.

21 F150 with Lariat, max tow and 3.5L, 2kw generator = payload sticker 1729lbs (avoided any other options to keep the payload up while getting the luxury of a Lariet).

Towed last year through the maritimes putting on 5,000kms in August. F150 handled it, very little sway, and even lane keep assist worked like 60% of the time! I did have the trailer brake malfunction issue. Average fuel economy was ranging between 25L/100kms up to 28L/100Kkms on the highway.

In the hilly areas, 3.5L struggled to pull up steeper inclines, but for a 1/2 ton, i am overall pleased with the setup.. if i did it again, i think i woudl go with a smaller trailer with out a slide.

1643903685986.png
Curious, is 7,000 the gross weight of the trailer loaded? Do you travel with full water tanks etc?

We have a 21 footer now. (23' Hitch to bumper, no slide 3,900 lbs dry)

We're possibly looking to go to a 24' or 26'. But I'm wondering if 26' would be too much trailer.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Curious, is 7,000 the gross weight of the trailer loaded? Do you travel with full water tanks etc?

We have a 21 footer now. (23' Hitch to bumper, no slide 3,900 lbs dry)

We're possibly looking to go to a 24' or 26'. But I'm wondering if 26' would be too much trailer.
I actually "leased" the f150 and bought the trailer within 1 week of each other. My sticker unlloaded waight is around 6100lbs leaving about 900 pounds for the tanks, battery, and stuff.

I woudl prefer a 27 footer as a much better size as 30' is a beast!! and i am a first timer, never owned a truck or an RV before July 2021. 26' is MORE than ample.

Payload breakdown:
Truck payload 1729lb
Family est 550lb
Trailer hitch weight 15% of 7000 = 1050
Total 1600lbs

Leaves 129lbs for stuff i keep in the bed (tool box, food, trailer stuff etc).
Sponsored