First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
While this isn’t “overlanding”, I think a lot of it relates.

Tracking cars on road courses is my drug. I custom ordered this rig as the ultimate Track Day / HPDE vehicle with the following items in mind:

• Heavy Payload Options to avoid: Sunroof, Motorized running boards, FX4, 4x4, Motorized Tailgate
  • Items I HAD TO HAVE: Powerboost 7.2kw, 6.5’ bed, Extended Fixed running boards, Tailgate step…which got me the heavy motorized tailgate
  • My payload came in at 1395, about 100lbs less than I was expecting. I attribute this to Floor liners, 7.2kw option, and B&O Unleashed, which I didn’t account for.
My general load:
  • Camaro ZL1 /1LE (4k lbs)
  • 8x20 Alum/Wood car hauler: 2500lbs
  • Tools, gas jugs, extra wheels: ~500lbs
Fully loaded, I tipped the scales at 13,740 GCVW and within 50lbs of max payload with a WDH. Trailer is roughly ~7300lbs including the tongue weight. I have no headroom on payload. I can confidently state however, that this rig is 10x more stable, composed, and planted than my 2006 2WD with a payload of 1680lbs for the same rig. Takeaway: Choose your options carefully!

Mods:
  • Dealer swapped tires to Michelin Defender LTX. Same load rating, but they are my preferred tire in FL. I run them at 40PSI cold
  • Fas-Top Travel Package. This thing is AWESOME. I popped it up for the trip to have extra height for gas jugs, spare tires, and other stuff. Easily bought myself ~3’ of length in the bed by being able to double-stack some items. This is also better for rear axle weight distribution to move items forward. Finally, having some extra room is a MUST in my sport. We had a wreck this weekend and had to rearrange loads to get home, meaning I had more volume on the return trip. Cost of this mod is ~75 lbs. It was included in total weight above.
  • Bed Rug Impact liner. Great for general purpose use. Also seemed unfazed by heavy floor jacks, jack stands, etc. All the marks self-healed.
Towing:

• MPG: I got 11mpg after I figured out how to lock out gears 8, 9, 10. Prior to that, I was in boost and running 9.5mpg. This got me about 325 miles of range, which exceeds that of my buddies’ trucks (all I care about).
  • Power: This thing is amazing. For stoplight roads, I felt I could just about rip the coupler off the trailer. It is easily as fast (fully loaded) as my 2006 F150 (fully empty).
  • Visibility/Cameras: Very nice to be able to spot your hitch and bed load from the cameras on the road.
  • BlueCruise: I disabled Adaptive cruise while in a caravan. As a solo driver, I enabled adaptive, but disabled lane centering as the inputs are too aggressive, and it gets exhausting fighting it. While towing, it will not go to ‘hands free driving’.
At the track
  • A HUGE hit. We charged our radios, power tools, Go-Pro’s, etc. I even did a “day in the office” on Friday. Was nice that the truck just cycles as needed, as opposed to staying on the whole time. We’ll be running fans in the summer off the same outlets.
  • Zone lighting is epic. Used to be we’d position headlights to wrench on one car at a time. Now we can spot multiple cars with all the lights and work into the night
  • Quiet/Insulation: Paddock is a noisy area. I wouldn’t take a work call inside the truck, but it was well enough insulated to have calls with family and friends. Work surface was also great for eating.
Complaints:

• Too many notifications/alarms when trying to back a trailer. Easily 3-4 separate notifications, really distracting/frustrating in the heat of the moment, since they all reset and re-alarm each time you go F to R.
  • Trailer LED incompatibility. I had to wire resisters to my trailer running lights to overcome “Trailer Module Lighting Fault”. Separate threads about that on this forum.
Bottom line: This truck is a wonderful piece of engineering. The seamless transition between gears, boost, hybrid to make the right power at the right speed is a marvel.
Sponsored

Flip

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I ended up with an XL Powerboost for this exact purpose. I tow an S2000 around on an 8x20 open trailer as well. My previous truck (Canyon) did just fine, but wanted some "extra truck" in case I went to an enclosed trailer. Haven't towed with it yet, as I just bought in late December - but, I'll be heading down to CMP later this month. Was really hoping to pick up a camper shell, or softopper - but lead times are at least 6-8 weeks on them all. So I'll probably end up sleeping in the cab, or using a tent.

tomsgarage

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCrew Lariat, 2012 Boss 302
I replaced my 2006 F-150 Lariat with a 2021 Lariat 4x2 502A with 5.0 V8, Trailer Tow Package, 3.31 Axle, Trailer Tow Mirrors, Folding Hard Tonneau Cover, 20" Wheels/Tires and other goodies (no moonroof also). So far I have been to Robeling and Charlotte Roval and it towed great, even got 14 mpg towing my 12 Boss 302 using my Featherlite Trailer. Hoping to head out to Watkins Glen the end of April, should be a good ride with this rig!

Hope to see you all on track one day!

Ford F-150 F150 as HPDE / Track Day Tow Vehicle 2021 f-150 and 2012 Boss 302

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
While this isn’t “overlanding”, I think a lot of it relates.

Tracking cars on road courses is my drug. I custom ordered this rig as the ultimate Track Day / HPDE vehicle with the following items in mind:

• Heavy Payload Options to avoid: Sunroof, Motorized running boards, FX4, 4x4, Motorized Tailgate
  • Items I HAD TO HAVE: Powerboost 7.2kw, 6.5’ bed, Extended Fixed running boards, Tailgate step…which got me the heavy motorized tailgate
  • My payload came in at 1395, about 100lbs less than I was expecting. I attribute this to Floor liners, 7.2kw option, and B&O Unleashed, which I didn’t account for.
My general load:
  • Camaro ZL1 /1LE (4k lbs)
  • 8x20 Alum/Wood car hauler: 2500lbs
  • Tools, gas jugs, extra wheels: ~500lbs
Fully loaded, I tipped the scales at 13,740 GCVW and within 50lbs of max payload with a WDH. Trailer is roughly ~7300lbs including the tongue weight. I have no headroom on payload. I can confidently state however, that this rig is 10x more stable, composed, and planted than my 2006 2WD with a payload of 1680lbs for the same rig. Takeaway: Choose your options carefully!

Mods:
  • Dealer swapped tires to Michelin Defender LTX. Same load rating, but they are my preferred tire in FL. I run them at 40PSI cold
  • Fas-Top Travel Package. This thing is AWESOME. I popped it up for the trip to have extra height for gas jugs, spare tires, and other stuff. Easily bought myself ~3’ of length in the bed by being able to double-stack some items. This is also better for rear axle weight distribution to move items forward. Finally, having some extra room is a MUST in my sport. We had a wreck this weekend and had to rearrange loads to get home, meaning I had more volume on the return trip. Cost of this mod is ~75 lbs. It was included in total weight above.
  • Bed Rug Impact liner. Great for general purpose use. Also seemed unfazed by heavy floor jacks, jack stands, etc. All the marks self-healed.
Towing:

• MPG: I got 11mpg after I figured out how to lock out gears 8, 9, 10. Prior to that, I was in boost and running 9.5mpg. This got me about 325 miles of range, which exceeds that of my buddies’ trucks (all I care about).
  • Power: This thing is amazing. For stoplight roads, I felt I could just about rip the coupler off the trailer. It is easily as fast (fully loaded) as my 2006 F150 (fully empty).
  • Visibility/Cameras: Very nice to be able to spot your hitch and bed load from the cameras on the road.
  • BlueCruise: I disabled Adaptive cruise while in a caravan. As a solo driver, I enabled adaptive, but disabled lane centering as the inputs are too aggressive, and it gets exhausting fighting it. While towing, it will not go to ‘hands free driving’.
At the track
  • A HUGE hit. We charged our radios, power tools, Go-Pro’s, etc. I even did a “day in the office” on Friday. Was nice that the truck just cycles as needed, as opposed to staying on the whole time. We’ll be running fans in the summer off the same outlets.
  • Zone lighting is epic. Used to be we’d position headlights to wrench on one car at a time. Now we can spot multiple cars with all the lights and work into the night
  • Quiet/Insulation: Paddock is a noisy area. I wouldn’t take a work call inside the truck, but it was well enough insulated to have calls with family and friends. Work surface was also great for eating.
Complaints:

• Too many notifications/alarms when trying to back a trailer. Easily 3-4 separate notifications, really distracting/frustrating in the heat of the moment, since they all reset and re-alarm each time you go F to R.
  • Trailer LED incompatibility. I had to wire resisters to my trailer running lights to overcome “Trailer Module Lighting Fault”. Separate threads about that on this forum.
Bottom line: This truck is a wonderful piece of engineering. The seamless transition between gears, boost, hybrid to make the right power at the right speed is a marvel.
A Ford towing a Chevy. I know it's a lame joke but........

Sponsored

Flip

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
How useful have the tow mirrors been with the open trailer? I'd of really liked them, but I bought the truck out of inventory, and figured it wasn't a deal breaker.

I've run RRR a bunch of times, it's a fun track with only a few areas that will really punish mistakes. I haven't tracked the Roval yet, but planning on running there this summer with Jzilla. If you haven't been to Road Atlanta, I'd highly recommend it - but that is a track that will punish mistakes.. :D

I replaced my 2006 F-150 Lariat with a 2021 Lariat 4x2 502A with 5.0 V8, Trailer Tow Package, 3.31 Axle, Trailer Tow Mirrors, Folding Hard Tonneau Cover, 20" Wheels/Tires and other goodies (no moonroof also). So far I have been to Robeling and Charlotte Roval and it towed great, even got 14 mpg towing my 12 Boss 302 using my Featherlite Trailer. Hoping to head out to Watkins Glen the end of April, should be a good ride with this rig!

Hope to see you all on track one day!

Ford F-150 F150 as HPDE / Track Day Tow Vehicle Santa Toy Run JPEG Quality 100 7021

OP
OP

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I LOVE the tow mirrors. Never had them before, but I get it now. Changes your scan, but totally eliminates the blind spots.

I live in Pensacola, have done NOLA, Barber, NCM, Road ATL, Sebring. Love them all. My trailer’s a little heavy, but gets the job done.

I’m very happy with the FASTOP Travel Package. Just got it cleaned up and converted back to tonneau cover. Their backlog was only 6 weeks when I ordered back in DEC.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Too many notifications/alarms when trying to back a trailer. Easily 3-4 separate notifications, really distracting/frustrating in the heat of the moment, since they all reset and re-alarm each time you go F to R.
Same here, I even turned off Reverse Braking Assist, yet I still get the 'Reverse Braking Assist unavailable' error message when towing my small trailer.

So annoying! I know it's unavailable, that's why I am putting the truck in park and getting out to check.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Seems kind of weird you have a payload that low. I have a Lariat PB with pretty much everything, including the moonroof and the power running boards and I'm at 1426.
I have the 5.5 bed, maybe that's the difference, but I actually thought the 6.5 was supposed to have more payload.

OP
OP

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I
Seems kind of weird you have a payload that low. I have a Lariat PB with pretty much everything, including the moonroof and the power running boards and I'm at 1426.
I have the 5.5 bed, maybe that's the difference, but I actually thought the 6.5 was supposed to have more payload.
I don’t disagree. I was assuming it would be closer to 1500.
Perhaps the 7.2kW, Blue Cruise, or B&O Unleashed are hidden payload taxes.

Attachments

Sponsored

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I
I don’t disagree. I was assuming it would be closer to 1500.
Perhaps the 7.2kW, Blue Cruise, or B&O Unleashed are hidden payload taxes.
I have all of those too, and the power tailgate...and still not as low as you. It might be the Max Tow. I think that dings payload to get the better pulling capacity. 20" wheels weigh more too, but shouldn't count against payload as they are unsprung.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
WOOT !

Ford F-150 F150 as HPDE / Track Day Tow Vehicle 20210725_093410

Ford F-150 F150 as HPDE / Track Day Tow Vehicle 127995401_10224214510341066_3396734909985986713_n

b4hand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Carbonized Grey
Hello fellow track nerds. I purchased my Powerboost for track stuff as well as my detailing business. Spec is as follows:
  • Platinum
  • Powerboost 7.2kw
  • No Sunroof
  • 4x4
  • 5.5ft bed
  • Max Tow
Payload is like 1376. I tow with an open trailer and it is awesome. Got about 15mpg my last track day to North Texas. Love this thing!

Ford F-150 F150 as HPDE / Track Day Tow Vehicle 9B0E6A31-D28E-4CED-BE8E-C0E2C250CDC3

OP
OP

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Hello fellow track nerds. I purchased my Powerboost for track stuff as well as my detailing business. Spec is as follows:
  • Platinum
  • Powerboost 7.2kw
  • No Sunroof
  • 4x4
  • 5.5ft bed
  • Max Tow
Payload is like 1376. I tow with an open trailer and it is awesome. Got about 15mpg my last track day to North Texas. Love this thing!

9B0E6A31-D28E-4CED-BE8E-C0E2C250CDC3.jpg
nice setup! 15MPG is incredible.
Sponsored