Sponsored

Powerboost not designed for use below -40C?!

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
That is a stupid limit when Ford had an entire YouTube segment of the 6.7 Powerstroke at sub -40 degree temps starting with no plug-in. They literally advertised it. They obviously know the product is used in those conditions.

That said, with no block heater on my 5.0 I wouldn’t even attempt to start at those temps since the oil would be the consistency of cured concrete even though it’s full synthetic. Once you get to those temps even amsoil is a brick.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Brutal temps.
Someone who has spent their life in tropical temps has a hard time imagining any make/model functioning properly at -40F.

Doesn't a human succumb in about 40 seconds?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Brutal temps.
Someone who has spent their life in tropical temps has a hard time imagining any make/model functioning properly at -40F.

Doesn't a human succumb in about 40 seconds?
Well... No, but you don't screw around at those temps. We do see that in my neck of the woods, but not so often. Talking to "old times" out here, they've seen -60ºF. One State Trooper remarked when that happened they were directed to leave their cruisers idling all the time...

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Has anyone checked to see if it's a SOC thing? Those temps could have the batt's SOC indicator thinking it's below threshold.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Yeah, I was looking at getting a dark horse 24 mustang. Ford has a lot of work to do before I'd buy another -- I currently own 3.
I think a consistent theme with Ford is that they're too late to the market. They're too late to the market with their 2024 F150s that pretty soon they're going to be competing against an updated 2025 Ram 1500 and a refreshed GM 1500.

They're also too late to the market with the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse with handling package.

The two largest Corvette dealerships, both, have over 60+ C8 Corvettes in inventory. By the time Ford ramps up production of the DH with Handling Package, the C8 Corvettes are going to be selling for invoice or under. At that price point, it'll be tough to justify a DH with Handling Package when dealers are asking for MSRP. (... or will the be asking for that much by then?)

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I think a consistent theme with Ford is that they're too late to the market. They're too late to the market with their 2024 F150s that pretty soon they're going to be competing against an updated 2025 Ram 1500 and a refreshed GM 1500.

They're also too late to the market with the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse with handling package.

The two largest Corvette dealerships, both, have over 60+ C8 Corvettes in inventory. By the time Ford ramps up production of the DH with Handling Package, the C8 Corvettes are going to be selling for invoice or under. At that price point, it'll be tough to justify a DH with Handling Package when dealers are asking for MSRP. (... or will the be asking for that much by then?)
Without a doubt. The e-ray is quite attractive performance wise. GM will likely curb vette production before they go discounting them. To bypass dealers they'd need to do some kind of cash incentives.

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
All:

-50c has been mentioned a few times, as has Forscan. I'm sure most know this, but -50C is darn near -60f. Trying to find and change values to the degree of cold takes a mental stretch that may be a bridge too far. Particularly so close to a fuel tank. You may remember the shuttle Columbia's experience with temps below recommended.

Burl:
I don't know shit, so ignore me. Still:
1) The HV batt is water cooled yes? Might it be reasonable to cut in a water heater? I'd sure want something low temp and with circulation (so not a high temp convective unit), but this might get the batteries safe enough AND the temp sensor (maybe) warmed too.

Sure, it would be kludgy, but it seems like a solid way to get heat into the bats. Someting like this:

VEVOR Electric Tankless Water Heater, 8KW Instant Hot Water Heater, Digital Temperature Display & Easy Installation & 24-Hour Water Supply, For Kitchen Bathroom Shower Mall Salon - Amazon.com

VEVOR Hot Water Recirculating Pump, 93W 110V Water Circulator Pump, Automatic Start Circulating Pump NPT 3/4" w/Brass Fittings, Stainless Steel Head, 3 Speed Control for Electric Water Heater System - Amazon.com

Likely not simple to do (or find a place for the units), nor the best parts to consider, but perhaps it's an idea.

2) In the GA world, which runs very high weight oils, we shroud the engine and push hot air via a kerosene torpedo heater. Works well and fast. obviously don't want too big, or too close, but we get to go fly.

I am curious on one thing. Why not request a buy-back when this all started? Seems a pretty clear "We can't fix it, and we didn't disclose it" sort of thing". Heck, Ford outa do it simply from a "yea, we can do better" perspective.

Best of luck to you. And building that new garage :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LFRoss

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT CREW CAB 5.0
Occupation
Forklift mechanic
I am by no means an expert. So don’t hold me to this. I am a forklift mechanic but part of my apprenticeship was spent taking automotive classes in our local community college. If I remember correctly some temperature sensor when unplugged will read -40degrees on a obd2 scanner like a SnapOn (what the school had).
This may be the problem because the truck reads the temp and thinks it’s unplugged causing a no start. Again don’t hold me to that because it’s been a while

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
I am by no means an expert. So don’t hold me to this. I am a forklift mechanic but part of my apprenticeship was spent taking automotive classes in our local community college. If I remember correctly some temperature sensor when unplugged will read -40degrees on a obd2 scanner like a SnapOn (what the school had).
This may be the problem because the truck reads the temp and thinks it’s unplugged causing a no start. Again don’t hold me to that because it’s been a while
Creative thinking, but unlikely. Truck does start when above -40C, wouldn't if sensor was unplugged. Or so I think anyway.

LFRoss

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT CREW CAB 5.0
Occupation
Forklift mechanic
Creative thinking, but unlikely. Truck does start when above -40C, wouldn't if sensor was unplugged. Or so I think anyway.
Yes the sensor is in fact plugged in so above -40 the truck starts but when it’s at -40 the truck thinks it’s not plugged in (even though it is) so it doesn’t start to protect itself from damage
Sponsored