First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Sport
Occupation
Retired IBM field engineer
Has anyone tried using the base 2.4KW propower 20amp output to run their AC unit (13.5k BTU) in their trailer?
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone tried using the base 2.4KW propower 20amp output to run their AC unit (13.5k BTU) in their trailer?
Does your A/C unit have a soft-start module? Some of the colemans or dometics can exceed 20A at startup, unless you have a soft-starter added.

OP
OP

pushrods

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Sport
Occupation
Retired IBM field engineer
Does your A/C unit have a soft-start module? Some of the colemans or dometics can exceed 20A at startup, unless you have a soft-starter added.
No its a standard unit. Specs are 2700 surge at startup and 1250 running. I'm thinking the surge at startup can be handled for a brief time for the inverter in the propower, but don't know. Another trick to reduce startup is to run in low mode then shift to hi after startup. Just looking for real time use before I order one or buy one in stock that doesn't have the 7.2k feature. The 7.2k is really only 3.6k in the 110v mode.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
No its a standard unit. Specs are 2700 surge at startup and 1250 running. I'm thinking the surge at startup can be handled for a brief time for the inverter in the propower, but don't know. Another trick to reduce startup is to run in low mode then shift to hi after startup. Just looking for real time use before I order one or buy one in stock that doesn't have the 7.2k feature. The 7.2k is really only 3.6k in the 110v mode.
YEP! But that's exactly a 30A pedestal rating for any RV plug where "all" single A/C units should be just fine.

Honestly, I don't think you will get an answer unless you test YOUR specific unit on a 2.4kW propower truck. Otherwise 30A is the only way to be guaranteed safe on paper without testing.
Sponsored