• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)
You’re correct in stating EVs should not be forced on drivers. Nothing will have to be “forced” on anybody. People are lining up to buy them today, and will do so even more in the future, of their own free will. Ford having to stop accepting new reservations for the Lightning is just one example, other manufacturers are in a similar situation. I think a major reason for this is the fact that EVs are so much more efficient, and much much cheaper to operate than comparable gas cars. I’m saving about $2K every year. Most people will. Your driving seems to include weekly long distance towing, and EVs aren’t ready for that quite yet. Give it about five years, then try it. I guarantee you will love it!
I have to disagree that they will not be forced on all of us. However, this will be determined by what party is running the country. Not to go off topic but look how things are being ran now and what is being forced. Again, a little off topic but still relevant to the conversation. I do agree, EV's are practical to some extent. They may also be cheaper from a dollar standpoint, depending on how much you drive ect. Serious question, how much time is lost waiting for EV's to charge in a year? I can always make more money; I can't however make more time. You may be right, 5 years down the line, I may be saying something different.
Sponsored

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I do understand what you're saying. However, the bigger issue at hand is over population. Again, I understand what you're saying. Melting ice caps ect. However, let's not mistake climate change for weather change. I live in the middle of the desert in AZ. Some years we get tons of rain, snow and some we don't. Now if we had a steady decline or increase of one or the other year after year, I would see your point. Hard to say global warming when we (my city for example) had record high temps one year, record high rains the next, followed by record low temps. To me, it has been a revolving cycle of weather change. In Arizona, we have two seasons, hot and hotter lol. Depending on where you live of course. When it rains or snows in Arizona, people lose their minds lol. I do see your point and it will only get worse as the population increases. I don't think EV's will magically save the planet. If anything, they will cause some other type of issue to the planet. You're correct, it won't be by carbon, but it will be by something else.

The simple fact is this, everything can/will harm the planet. The greater the population the greater the impact. I find it ironic that the U.S. cares so much about global warming, yet does nothing to other countries who do far greater pollution than we do in the U.S. For some reason, the powers that be in the U.S. haven't looked at a globe. Last time I checked, the world includes countries outside the U.S. lol. To be honest, it seems as if we (U.S.) want to stop global warming in the U.S. but turn around and also aid foreign countries in polluting more. Again, just thinking out loud here. What gets me is some people (not say you) are so concerned with saving the planet yet have no issues, digging a big hole in the ground to build a big pool in their backyard, travel by plane, or take a spin on a fancy boat. Same lines as people saying they care about animals yet have no issues wearing makeup that's tested on animals or hunting them for sport and not consumption. I will never tell other people how they should feel, live, say or do, as long as the same respect is returned. Within reason of course. I'm all for discussion and everyone can learn from one another.
Noone's mistaking "weather for climate" (this is a favorite ploy by the fossil fuel companies, BTW). I am indeed talking about climate (a long term pattern) and not weather (short term changes).

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
You keep going back to this ratio from Tesla without realizing that it is based far more on Geography than capacity and load
Other than the highway chargers, it is actually the reverse, based on usage. I live in a high charger usage area, we were seeing lines at out four x 12 stations and Tesla built out three more with 250kW based on the usage.

Based on Tesla's 1:100 ratio, someone without home charging can make an EV work. I did for two years.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
However, this will be determined by what party is running the country
Because it is a economic and environmental necessity, US will go EV along with rest of the world. EU and China are far ahead of the US in economics (building the EV's, batteries, electronics, solar, wind, inverters ad infinitum). As we see with Ford and GM, US industry is ahead of the public policy in the US since US industry has to compete with EU and China industry.

Also, a large portion of the states are CARB states (32% of US popullation, 43% of US GDP) and follow CA's lead which mirror EU and China policies on EV's and green house gas emissions. Even the most anti-science admin can affect only 70% of the population/economy.

To this topic, public charger deployment, we can look to EU and China for where the US is headed.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Serious question, how much time is lost waiting for EV's to charge in a year?
Zero. I catch up on work via the iPad while charging. No different than sitting in the office or sitting at home. Gas station time is a total loss though so EV's will improve everyone's efficiency.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
They may also be cheaper from a dollar standpoint, depending on how much you drive ect. Serious question, how much time is lost waiting for EV's to charge in a year?
Gas fill up: at least 15 minutes/week (or longer if the line at Costco is crazy)=13 hours/year
Oil change: At least 1 hour per year
Yearly time penalty for ICE truck: 14 hours

That would be the equivalent of around nineteen 45-minute charging sessions from 15% to 80%. I've needed to use public chargers 10 times in the last year with my current EV and most of those sessions were much shorter than 45 minutes.

I save time by owning an EV and I would bet that's the case for most people.

And no one is forcing anyone to buy an EV. That narrative is a great way to get anti-EV crowd riled up, though.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
OMG!!! If you don't have access to L2 charging, figure this one issue first. Then buy a Tesla.
I bought the Tesla first and ran it just fine with public charging and my mileage is twice the national average at 25,000 a year. Worked fine with the 1:100 charger ratio Tesla has.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
And no one is forcing anyone to buy an EV. That narrative is a great way to get anti-EV crowd riled up, though.
It is the fact though. By 2035 you are not allowed to buy an ICE, you will be "forced" to buy an EV.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
It is the fact though. By 2035 you are not allowed to buy an ICE, you will be "forced" to buy an EV.
Except that by 2035 nobody will want to buy a new ICEV. EVerybody will want to buy a new EV instead. You’re hardly “forcing “ people if their only option is what they would’ve wanted anyway. I would doubt manufacturers will even still sell gas cars here by 2030, let alone 2035. Good thing! Progress rocks.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Except that by 2035 nobody will want to buy a new ICEV.
I'm sure we're not that evolved and there will be some doomsday cult pushing for the right to drive their Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport's to Hell and back.

But we are "forcing" people to buy EV's just as we "force" people to buy seatbelts and airbags and not smoke indoors and other public health and safety measures.

The mfgs are making a business decision. If 30% of US market (3rd largest in world) and the two largest car markets (EU and China) are "forcing" all EV's b 2035, the mfgs have no choice.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
There's no way apartment dwellers and folks who park their cars on public streets should have to depend on DCFC stations, it's not practical at all. EVs need to be more convenient to use than ICE vehicles, and occasionally driving to a fast charger for up to an hour is not going to work. Electric companies will need to make an investment in infrastructure to all these new potential customers as they'll replace the oil companies of today.

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero. I catch up on work via the iPad while charging. No different than sitting in the office or sitting at home. Gas station time is a total loss though so EV's will improve everyone's efficiency.
You're probably a rare exception. Just like I don't waste anytime pumping gas because I clean my windows. I see people charging their EV's all the time while I'm getting gas. I usually see them sleeping or on their phones. I'm sure they are just they are just working too. If you're at home, I see your point. You waste zero time but I'm sure others do. The friends that I know with EV's complain about the time they sit waiting for a charge. Again, you waste zero time, but I know people who do. I don't know much about EV's I'm aware of the specifics i.e. on how long it takes to charge or how far you can go before a charge.

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Doesn't it usually take time to make money?
Yes, absolutely. It also takes time to eat, piss, and have sex. Your point? I work from home so in essence, I'm getting paid to eat, piss, and have sex.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
You're probably a rare exception.
Doubtful. Most single drivers I see are on their computers. I have been known to take a power nap or two.

Families, the kids tend to go screaming toward whatever is open (Freds, Freds, Mall, Mall are the local choices). You're lucky you can herd them back to the car before it's done charging.
Sponsored