• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...vehicle-charging-action-plan/?utm_source=link

"No later than February 11th, DOT will publish guidance for States and cities to strategically deploy EV charging stations to build out a national network along our nation’s highway system. This guidance will look at where we already have EV charging and where we need—or will need—more of it. It will focus on the needs of disadvantaged and rural communities, catalyze further private investment in EV charging, and ensure we’re smartly connecting to our electric grid. No later than May 13th, DOT will publish standards for EV chargers in the national network to ensure they work, they’re safe, and they’re accessible to everyone."
"The current network of over 100,000 public chargers operates with different plug types, payment options, data availability, and hardware hookups. Today’s actions will establish a more uniform approach, provide greater convenience for customers, and offer increased confidence for industry. These federal programs will spur additional private sector investments and drive the build-out of a user-friendly, cost-effective, and financially sustainable national network creating well-paying jobs across manufacturing, installation, and operation. A ubiquitous charging infrastructure targeted to meet different consumers’ needs will provide equitable benefits to all Americans and provide flexibility for future investments, effective integration with a clean power system, and support a growing and diversifying fleet of electrified vehicles."
"
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law includes:

• $3 billion in competitive grants for battery minerals and refined materials aimed at accelerating the development of the North American battery supply chain.
  • An additional $3 billion for competitive grants aimed at building, retooling, or expanding manufacturing of batteries and battery components (such as cathodes, anodes, and electrolytes), and to establish recycling facilities in the United States.
  • Recognizing the need for innovative and practical approaches to battery and critical mineral recycling, the act includes research, development, and demonstration recycling projects ($60 million) and efforts in cooperation with retailers ($15 million) and state and local governments ($50 million) to increase the collection of spent batteries for reuse, recycling or proper disposal. The electric drive vehicle battery recycling and second-life applications program ($200 million) is focused on making electric vehicles batteries (e.g., optimized designs) easier to recycle and utilize in secondary applications before recycling.
  • An additional $750 million “Advanced Energy Manufacturing and Recycling Grant Program” to re-equip, expand or establish an industrial or manufacturing facility to reduce GHG emissions of that facility substantially below current best practices."

Ford F-150 Lightning White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers screenshot_20211213-073818_twitter-
Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Good news.

The current network of over 100,000 public chargers operates with different plug types, payment options, data availability, and hardware hookups. Today’s actions will establish a more uniform approach, provide greater convenience for customers, and offer increased confidence for industry.
Uniform charge port location? We had similar developmental issues when gas cars were first getting started. With gas cars, there were other considerations for standardization.

"It’s because of these rules that the most convenient possible place—in the center, so you can comfortably fill up from any side—is now illegal."

A non-issue for EV's, the most convenient spot should be the same for everyone. Hopefully the DOT and states will come up with standard. My guess is either the rear or front center. Front center for me as it makes it easier to look get the nose closest to the charger vs. trying to back in and line it up.

CCS will be the connector for US so Tesla will likely evolve to that, all EU Tesla's have the CCS plugs and most of the Tesla chargers have been converted to CCS so Tesla has all the HW for both car and charger to make the transition.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Tesla will have to support their huge fleet of Tesla only connections I'd think unless someone gives them a $500 adapter. Would seem to be more simple to use a Tesla like they use the chadmo adapter. Plug in the Tesla cable to the gizmo and then grab the chadmo cable.

I'd think a next gen charging connection is needed. I could put an pantograph on my car maybe.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Tesla will have to support their huge fleet of Tesla only connections I'd think unless someone gives them a $500 adapter. Would seem to be more simple to use a Tesla like they use the chadmo adapter. Plug in the Tesla cable to the gizmo and then grab the chadmo cable.

I'd think a next gen charging connection is needed. I could put an pantograph on my car maybe.
They already have adapters and they're not that expensive. Take a look https://www.forbes.com/wheels/accessories/best-ev-charger-adapters/

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

Sponsored

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
Unless they build one here, I'll wait for the flying version.

Ford F-150 Lightning White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers here.JPG

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
The adapters listed in the article are for Tesla L2 chargers. There are adapters available for Tesla to use CCS, but they are fairly pricey. I think they are fairly slow too. I am not aware of any adapters for non-Teslas that can connect to Tesla superchargers.
Musk announced not that long ago he was planning to allow use of those chargers for everyone. Don't remember seeing any logistics mentioned as to how.

One such example, take it with a grain of salt. https://www.teslarati.com/ford-mustang-mach-e-spotted-tesla-supercharger/

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Musk announced not that long ago he was planning to allow use of those chargers for everyone. Don't remember seeing any logistics mentioned as to how.
Musk also mentioned a while ago that Cybertruck will be available in 2021.

Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I have that site bookmarked, it ends conversations with cult members on the internet instantly, every time. Guaranteed!

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
"They already have adapters and they're not that expensive. Take a look"

I own that one and it is just a L2 destination adapter. It is not to be used on a Super charger.
Tesla did an odd deal where they can use both AC and DC on that same connector unlike what the Ford will use.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
"They already have adapters and they're not that expensive. Take a look"

I own that one and it is just a L2 destination adapter. It is not to be used on a Super charger.
Tesla did an odd deal where they can use both AC and DC on that same connector unlike what the Ford will use.
Which one, there's a bunch of different ones on that link.
Sponsored