Sponsored

Which jack stands do you use or where do you place them?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Everyone, be very careful using dimensional lumber under jack stands! The edge of many jack stands can be like an axe and split old dried dimensional lumber like a log. To protect floors and driveways the best method is to cut squares of 3/4" plywood an inch or two larger than the base of the stand and glue and screw the pieces together until your at the additional height you need.
Indeed, always perform one's due diligence in looking at how a stand is placed on the wood as well as the wood's condition, and certainly don't align the grain perpendicular to the ground (as in the same manner in which the tree grew). The first thing I do when going on stands is to shove the vehicle and gauge its response. If it's going to fall I'd like to go ahead and just get that part out of the way at the start :ROFLMAO:
You guy's got me thinking about mine. I think they're 3 Ton. So, no Rocket Scientist or Holiday Inn employee, but wouldn't the physics be that my 5500# truck is distributing the weight evenly over 4 wheels? (not exactly I know, but just ignore that for a minute here). So at any corner, a jack stand only needs to be holding a half ton. Obviously, if I lift a whole side then two of them are theoretically holding up half the weight of my truck? :unsure: And no, I'm not advocating someone to skimp on them and risk their life for $20, just saying.
It depends on where you place them -- if you're at the ends of the vehicle, you're roughly getting weight on wheels. If you're more towards the center of the vehicle you can have nearly the entire vehicle weight on them. It's really just smart to use stands with capacities that can hold the entire vehicle's mass.
Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
It's really just smart to use stands with capacities that can hold the entire vehicle's mass.
Right, but aren't four x 3 ton jacks supposed to hold a 2.5 ton truck? Or two x 3 ton just one end? The truck's total weight is (roughly) 2.5 tons.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Right, but aren't four x 3 ton jacks supposed to hold a 2.5 ton truck? Or two x 3 ton just one end? The truck's total weight is (roughly) 2.5 tons.
Yes. It's on the edge though. Take for instance modifying front suspension. The jack stand will be under the passenger compartment ~18" behind the wheel roughly depending on where you can get the frame. For my truck, that's going to see around 2 tons on the stands. That's just an example of why you don't want to use stands rated for less than the vehicle's mass. 3 ton stands on a 2.5 ton vehicle is fine.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Yes. It's on the edge though. Take for instance modifying front suspension. The jack stand will be under the passenger compartment ~18" behind the wheel roughly depending on where you can get the frame. For my truck, that's going to see around 2 tons on the stands. That's just an example of why you don't want to use stands rated for less than the vehicle's mass. 3 ton stands on a 2.5 ton vehicle is fine.
Correct, that's why I mentioned the 3 ton because the "average" weight of the F-150 - short bed at least - is ~ 2.5 tons.
And I would always use both jacks on both sides, not just one. If I am not mistaken, the 3 ton applies to a pair, not a single stand, but I may be wrong of course.

Other than that, the probability of me modifying suspension or anything like it by myself is slim to none 🤣

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
Love the Holiday Inn verse 😊
Don't know how old you are, but about 15-20 years ago there was a Holiday Inn ad on TV, guest calling front desk and ask if "they have a gym", his call is transferred, a guy picks up "Hi, this is Jim". The kid in me, to this day every time a "GYM", or just plain ole "Jim" comes up in a family discussion I interrupt with "Hi, this is Jim", my now mid/upper twenties daughters throwing that "Seriously dad, it's not funny any more" look on their faces 😂😂

I'll definitely use 2x8 or 2x10 board on the floor, both to raise the stands a bit and also to protect the garage floor.

And I did check mine against HF recall list, mine were not included.

Thanks!
Totally remember that one! no kids in the house, but my wife gives me the same look every time I quote an old commercial!!

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Worth remembering jack stands are often rated in pairs. So 3 ton stands can only hold 1.5 each.

I saw 22 ton jack stands in our shop at work today. Most our trucks are under 5 tons. Our mechanic isn't messing around.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

SM77

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I saw this the other day some where that looked cleaver. Not cheap but might save from having to store another pair of jack stands....

Ford F-150 Which jack stands do you use or where do you place them? 1703424159228

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I would still use purpose built jack stands instead of some bar.
Sponsored