Sponsored

Where to get a front Torsen Differential installed in a F150 non Tremor/Raptor?

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
The cover bolts seem high for threading into aluminum or what ever it is
I was questioning that one as well. That seems like the torque spec used for the REAR cover, if my memory is correct. I thought the front was around 24 ft/lbs for the previous gen, but it has been a while since I did a front diff. I was hoping someone who did this job recently had the torque specs handy. I may just pay my $26 for access to the Ford service manual.
Sponsored

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I was questioning that one as well. That seems like the torque spec used for the REAR cover, if my memory is correct. I thought the front was around 24 ft/lbs for the previous gen, but it has been a while since I did a front diff. I was hoping someone who did this job recently had the torque specs handy. I may just pay my $26 for access to the Ford service manual.
I've been meaning to look up all the specs in Alldata. If I don't post them tonight, feel free to bother me until I remember.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been meaning to look up all the specs in Alldata. If I don't post them tonight, feel free to bother me until I remember.
As always, I appreciate your willingness to help. You are a true asset to this community! :thumbsup:

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
If using a loc-tite compound then the only worry is applying too much torque and snapping a head off. The way to avoid that is to use as small a wrench as you have so the torque you can physically apply is limited. It is when people tighten a 12mm fastener with a 1/2 inch socket wrench that problems arise.

I use a torque wrench on engine bolts but even then it is tricky as corrosion can result in more torque needed than is actually good for the bolt or stud.

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
As always, I appreciate your willingness to help. You are a true asset to this community! :thumbsup:
I'm always happy to help. Attached to this post is 116 pages of everything you should need to properly install a new front carrier into your front axle assembly. If I missed something, just let me know and I'll try to find what you need.

Attachments

Sponsored

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I'm curious to know if anyone is planning to install a Raptor R front diff cover when they have their stock cover off. I saw this diagram of what appears to be a cast aluminum cover with a drain plug in the parts catalog and I decided to order one. The part number is NL3Z-4033-A. I'll post some pictures after mine gets delivered.

Ford F-150 Where to get a front Torsen Differential installed in a F150 non Tremor/Raptor? F150 Front Diff Diagram.PNG

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'm curious to know if anyone is planning to install a Raptor R front diff cover when they have their stock cover off. I saw this diagram of what appears to be a cast aluminum cover with a drain plug in the parts catalog and I decided to order one. The part number is NL3Z-4033-A. I'll post some pictures after mine gets delivered.
If it wasn't for the need of a case spreader I probably would have gotten the torsen w/ that cashback deal.

How does it get filled? Price is about the same as the spicer cover with drain and fill ports.
Dana Spicer 10023538 $150
Ford part is BO'd
Ford F-150 Where to get a front Torsen Differential installed in a F150 non Tremor/Raptor? 1715309120117-p5

Are you doing a torsen? Saw a post claiming 4 other parts needed, but the bearings / cones are 1 part now and were only $16/ea when I checked.

Spicer 9.75 cover is only $138!

Last edited:

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
How does it get filled? Price is about the same as the spicer cover with drain and fill ports.

Ford part is BO'd

1715309120117-p5.png

Are you doing a torsen? Saw a post claiming 4 other parts needed, but the bearings / cones are 1 part now and were only $16/ea when I checked.

With the Raptor R front diff cover, you would still fill the diff through the factory fill plug on the side of the housing. The Raptor R cover is currently on back order, but I couldn't tell you how many times back ordered parts that "aren't available anywhere in the country" showed up in 2-3 days.

I ordered a Ford Performance Torsen for $431.25 and a set of Tremor front axles for $333 since you talked me into signing up for Rakuten. Everything from the ford accessories website is supposed to get delivered by Saturday, but it could be a few months before I have time to do the install.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With the Raptor R front diff cover, you would still fill the diff through the factory fill plug on the side of the housing. The Raptor R cover is currently on back order, but I couldn't tell you how many times back ordered parts that "aren't available anywhere in the country" showed up in 2-3 days.

I ordered a Ford Performance Torsen for $431.25 and a set of Tremor front axles for $333 since you talked me into signing up for Rakuten. Everything from the ford accessories website is supposed to get delivered by Saturday, but it could be a few months before I have time to do the install.
Hell yeah, killer deal. Half shafts and diff for the cost of the diff. My tremor skid plate was $390 (not a new member, didn't get the 10% bonus).

Last edited:

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm always happy to help. Attached to this post is 116 pages of everything you should need to properly install a new front carrier into your front axle assembly. If I missed something, just let me know and I'll try to find what you need.
THANK YOU! This fills in the small gaps I had. But, I do see that my old memory was correct. The spec for the rear cover bolts is 24 ft/lbs, same as the last gen. I also see that the axle tube bolt spec is 54 ft/lbs.

An interesting thing that I saw while reading all of this was the gear oil spec for the Torsen. It shows the Torsen using synthetic 75W85 with the XL-3 Friction modifier that is normally used in clutch pack differentials. In contrast, the Eaton Truetrac unit specifically calls for a non-synthetic 80W90 gear oil (GL5) with NO friction modifier. They state that using a synthetic gear oil will impact the function of their differential.

I am still going to try to do this without pulling the EPS. I've pulled the rack in the past, but that is more work. Worst case scenario, I have to go back and pull the rack.

Sponsored

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

F150 Front Diff Diagram.PNG
You're killing me! I would add that in a second to get a proper drain plug. I already modified a stock cover with a weld-in drain plug bung, but I would buy one of these in a minute if I knew it would fit. There is so little space between the EPS and the diff cover. I am guessing the Raptor R has a lot more space because it is lifted. I would have concerns about clearance for a non-lifted application. That said, I cannot wait to see one of these. Maybe when you get one in hand, you could measure the thickness of the cover? I can measure my stock cover for comparison.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it wasn't for the need of a case spreader I probably would have gotten the torsen w/ that cashback deal.

Ford part is BO'd
1715309120117-p5.png

If you lived close, I would lend you my spreader and case adapters.

The combo bearing and race for the 8.8 makes me laugh. They changed it from two part numbers and made it way cheaper than the old price for just the bearing. That is so unlike the typical Ford pricing model! The new part number for the bearing with the race is NL3Z-4220-A. I bought them from Tasca for $10.79 each. The bearings also used to be around $15-20 depending on the dealer.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you lived close, I would lend you my spreader and case adapters.

The combo bearing and race for the 8.8 makes me laugh. They changed it from two part numbers and made it way cheaper than the old price for just the bearing. That is so unlike the typical Ford pricing model! The new part number for the bearing with the race is NL3Z-4220-A. I bought them from Tasca for $10.79 each. The bearings also used to be around $15-20 depending on the dealer.
I'm in the south. I could probably get one around here but I really need to keep making excuses to not get another project right now. Granted I should have bought it given the pricing, I'll wait for the next deal.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm in the south. I could probably get one around here but I really need to keep making excuses to not get another project right now. Granted I should have bought it given the pricing, I'll wait for the next deal.
I agree, if you are set on the Torsen, buy when the price is friendly. That's a crazy good price!

The case spreader is not the bad part. Those damn case adapters can be pricey. I cant' believe what some people are asking online. (I just looked them up for curiosity.) The two you need are T93P-4000-A and T96T-4000-A. The T93P are used in pairs for standard 8.8 differentials, so it does not hurt to have a pair if you work on older 8.8 diffs. When you do an 8.8 IRS (Mustang) or the truck front differentials, the T96T is needed on the axle side to clear the axle tube flange.

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
THANK YOU! This fills in the small gaps I had. But, I do see that my old memory was correct. The spec for the rear cover bolts is 24 ft/lbs, same as the last gen. I also see that the axle tube bolt spec is 54 ft/lbs.

An interesting thing that I saw while reading all of this was the gear oil spec for the Torsen. It shows the Torsen using synthetic 75W85 with the XL-3 Friction modifier that is normally used in clutch pack differentials. In contrast, the Eaton Truetrac unit specifically calls for a non-synthetic 80W90 gear oil (GL5) with NO friction modifier. They state that using a synthetic gear oil will impact the function of their differential.

I am still going to try to do this without pulling the EPS. I've pulled the rack in the past, but that is more work. Worst case scenario, I have to go back and pull the rack.
According to Eaton:
A quality, petroleum-mineral based, GL5 rated
80w-90 gear oil should be used
• Synthetic oils are not recommended for Truetrac
applications� While some customers have found
that synthetic oils work well in this application,
Eaton has not confirmed under test conditions
that all synthetic oils are compatible with Eaton
Truetrac applications
• Friction modifiers should not be used because
they will decrease performance (reduce
differential bias)
I would suspect that Ford is recommending using synthetic gear oil and friction modifier to reduce the differential bias because the Torsen is installed on a steer axle. There's a good chance that people who don't understand what they bought might complain if their steering felt unusual. I would suspect that you'd be fine using 80W90 petroleum gear oil if you wanted the Torsen to work a little better.

The way I was reading the service manual, it looked like puled the EPS was only necessary on 3.0 diesel F150s, but I haven't pulled the front diff on a newer F150 yet.

Lots of the Rotunda tools are obnoxiously expensive, I normally wait until I see a good deal on ebay, but I think I'll just wind up making my own case spreader or buying a cheap one for a Dana axle on Amazon and making my own adapters.

You're killing me! I would add that in a second to get a proper drain plug. I already modified a stock cover with a weld-in drain plug bung, but I would buy one of these in a minute if I knew it would fit. There is so little space between the EPS and the diff cover. I am guessing the Raptor R has a lot more space because it is lifted. I would have concerns about clearance for a non-lifted application. That said, I cannot wait to see one of these. Maybe when you get one in hand, you could measure the thickness of the cover? I can measure my stock cover for comparison.
Based on the picture it looks much lower profile than many of the aftermarket covers I've seen, so I'm hopeful that it will fit without issue. I'll post a few pictures and measurements once it arrives, the dealer is currently estimating a delivery date of 6/30.
Sponsored