Changing the differential cover

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Hi all, I do fair bit of towing and I am planning on changing my rear diff lube every 30K miles. I know what the manual says about change intervals, but I am changing it anyhow. The question I am wrestling with is if I should replace the cover with one that has a drain plug. I plan on using a Lub Locker gasket rather than RTV. I am currently leaning to reuse the factory cover, but having the convenience of a drain plug is awfully tempting.

I was looking at a G2 cover but they say it will not work on a powerboost. So, who has replaced their diff cover, at what cover did you settle on?
Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I did on my Ram, used a Nitro Gear. Considered my F150, haven't decided on which brand yet

Ford F-150 Changing the differential cover 20190615_115650

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
One of the things that I always notice changing diff. oil is that there’s always some schmutz left over inside the differential housing even after taking the cover off that a drain plug definitely wouldn’t drain and since there’s no filter for the gear oil; it’s nice to get as much of the old stuff out if you are going to bother changing it.

Gale Banks did a pretty good Youtube series on aftermarket diff. covers that turned out to just be a big product reveal but much of it is applicable, even if you remove the bias.

I have always just used the steel factory cover or an aftermarket equivalent if it was damaged or rusty and a brand name paper gasket with hylomar blue gasket dressing. It won’t leak and also makes cleanup and the next differential service take a fraction of the time. Since it’s always cleaning up the old RTV that takes most of the time.

Good luck and enjoy your truck!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Yeah, changing out the diff cover I'd use OEM approved or banks. Watching the results of "popular" aftermarket ones was pretty sad.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all, I do fair bit of towing and I am planning on changing my rear diff lube every 30K miles. I know what the manual says about change intervals, but I am changing it anyhow. The question I am wrestling with is if I should replace the cover with one that has a drain plug. I plan on using a Lub Locker gasket rather than RTV. I am currently leaning to reuse the factory cover, but having the convenience of a drain plug is awfully tempting.

I was looking at a G2 cover but they say it will not work on a powerboost. So, who has replaced their diff cover, at what cover did you settle on?
Cant you just drill and tap your own drain?

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Cant you just drill and tap your own drain?
The OEM cover is way too thin to tap - IMHO. Others have suggested welding a nut on. I am going with my original plan and just reuse the factory cover with a Lub Locker gasket.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
...reuse the factory cover with a Lub Locker gasket.
If you have a Super 8-12 bolt, like me, I'm having a difficult time even finding a regular old gasket let alone a reusable gasket like Lub Locker.

If anyone has a source, please share. Thanks.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
If you have a Super 8-12 bolt, like me, I'm having a difficult time even finding a regular old gasket let alone a reusable gasket like Lub Locker.

My truck has the 9.75 inch differential.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE

The only gasket to use for a diff cover is to thoroughly clean both surfaces with brake parts or similar and use RTV. Everything else will present wet spots in short order.

93dpscoupe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 GMC 1500, 93 Mustang LX SSP
Occupation
Product Marketing
M-4033-F975. Damn nice cover I use quite often. Made by Dana/Spicer. Nodular Iron, not aluminum and made in the USA.

Either Lube Locker F975 for a gasket, or Permatex 81182 RTV.

Edit - Cheaper to buy the Spicer branded unit. Part #10023539

Last edited:

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I welded a M18 oxygen sensor bung into my factory cover and use a magnetic Honda transmission drain plug (90081-PX4-003). I sealed my cover with Permatex 81182 gear oil RTV because I don't plan to remove my cover for routine service, and I have seen significant corrosion damage occur when using the factory gasket.

Using RTV really helps to prevent the cover bolts from seizing, and you don't have to worry about the rust jacking that happens with the factory gasket that can damage the diff cover and leave the axle housing severely pitted. I've also seen rust jacking and corrosion pitting with many aftermarket diff covers that use o-ring seals, and I strongly recommend using RTV unless you plan to remove the cover and clean the mating surfaces often.

Ford F-150 Changing the differential cover 20210905_223148_970e0918fc36a9d009f809632532bda968717f1e

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Ford Performance Rear Diff Cover

I love mine. I had it installed as the spare tire crossmember is 2" in front of it and I don't have a lift. The two fill holes: bottom is your fill hole, top is if you're running a Raptor at high speeds and foaming the gear oil, you can overfill it and keep the gears working (i.e. don't use the top fill port).
Sponsored