First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Also, recall that the electric motor is still helping the ICE increase RPMs even when both are engaged. The worst efficiency circumstance that an ICE can encounter is acceleration under load: to achieve that, you have to dump fuel into it, which is the opposite of the lean burn that has made modern engines so efficient. The electric motor is EXTREMELY efficient under those circumstances, so the extra torque makes the ICE less thirsty while accelerating

You'll see larger jumps in mileage from pure electric miles, but the system is still helping even when the electric motor is only a sidekick.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I'm seeing that now. I'm running a app with pids that snakebitten developed. I can see battery output along with ice during acceleration. The best launch power is holding the break while applying gas and wait til I see over 60% soc. Then stomp the gas and release break. I haven't been able to see how long the battery lasts yet. Little busy at that point. It would be pretty awesome if the truck had a launch mode like Tesla. It temporarily charges the battery to 80% soc and drains to 30% for 1/4 mile.

Juiceman_210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I'd like to get my hands on one of these Powerboost trucks that aren't getting good gas mileage.

I'd run every PID in the arsenal against it and SEE what it is doing differently than the 2 Powerboost that I have monitored. (for enough 1,000s of miles to be fairly intimate with the "normal" parameters)

It would have to be bone stock, no lift, no additional rolling resistance, or the apples/apples wouldn't work.

I can clearly see the difference between the various mileage results that I get on my daily repeatable commute. Or put another way, I'm not scratching my head if one day it's 21mpg and the next day it's 24.3.

Current weather lends to the 21, of course.
I’m in Austin. I have no mechanical mods and I average around 18 mpg. I believe you’re in Texas as well.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I’m in Austin. I have no mechanical mods and I average around 18 mpg. I believe you’re in Texas as well.
Your truck is brand new and you have cold season mileage mostly, right?

If you aren't getting what you believe is what's expected, once warmer weather is here, I'd be happy to hook up the PIDs and compare.

Although I will admit that you should still be able to get 20+ mpg per tank full in Austin as long as you are traveling at least 10 miles after the coolant temps are 180F.

And speeds are 65mph or less.

If you are getting 18 in recent weather, that DOES equate to ~21 in summer. In the most common circumstances.
My 23-24 mpg legs are currently 20-21.

Juiceman_210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost

If you aren't getting what you believe is what's expected, once warmer weather is here, I'd be happy to hook up the PIDs and compare.

Although I will admit that you should still be able to get 20+ mpg per tank full in Austin as long as you are traveling at least 10 miles after the coolant temps are 180F.

If you are getting 18 in recent weather, that DOES equate to ~21 in summer. In the most common circumstances.
Took delivery of my 2021 Lariat Powerboost in August 2021. Job 1 build. Pretty much anytime I look down at the trip averages, it’s right at 18mpg. I’ve never sniffed 24mpg.

Sponsored

Groovicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT PB
Driding this new truck for a few days. Playing around with electric/ice. Kind if cool but performance of electric from green light is dismal. No matter how I drive I can't get to speed under electric mode fast enough to keep people behind me from honking.
Once I get to speed and wait electric starts. It's the first start that confuses me. What's the of breaking and getting the congrats about recovering 95% during breaking if I the truck doesn't use it to move from stop?
Maybe I just don't understand the concept.
I felt the same way as you when I first got my PB. There's a little bit of learning how to drive a hybrid like the PB. But basically, launch is almost always going to be ICE unless you're easing into an intersection and all other conditions are right. The electric motor picks up while driving, and once you've broken in the engine you should see great mileage.

Je.Bedard

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost 2022
Occupation
Retired
Like the name mention, it’s a Powerboost. The main feature of the electric motor is to boost the motor.

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman
Popping it into Sport mode and leaving em in the dust. That's what a Power Boost is about. Didn't take long for the passengers to say they had had enough. That's how the questions on why have a Power Boost should be answered.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales

Have you seen Austin traffic?

That said, some people just don't have the touch. My wife drives slower than me but when she drives either of our diesel vehicles they drop 10-20% mpg almost immediately. It's because she is jerky, doesn't really plan ahead or coast, and so on. Meanwhile I drive faster and rarely need to apply the brakes until I'm right in town.

Regarding what's the point of the hybrid system: It's an in -between step. In 5-7 years we will have amazing EV trucks with all the EV advantages but with a range extender generator in the toolbox used to extend range for the days where you need that. You'll be able to run the ICE generator at the campground, while stopping to eat, overnight, etc. and be able to extend range enough to make it to that next stop or charging spot easier. It'll also have the advantage of allowing us to drop the weight & cost of huge battery packs that most people only use 10-20x per year, not every day.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Haha. I bought it for the generator and the technology and enough room to bring home tequila.
Personalized License plate ideas: TEQ RNR, TQL DRKER, etc.

Sponsored

tsvisser

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL Powerboost
Occupation
Film and television crew
I’m impressed with the MPG I’m getting but I do feel the system would have benefited from a larger battery. I can coast down hills and reach the max charge of the battery fairly quickly. I also find the ICE operates many times when it doesn’t need to, probably not using too much gas but some software tweaking could improve things a little bit. By the time my 8 year factory warranty is up, I’m sure there will be 3rd party options to augment the electrical system.

RichW

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Ecoboost 3.5 hybrid 3.73 gears 4 wheel
Occupation
Professional
Great thread, I found my self shouting YES ! and REALLY ? several times . I just passed 5k in my 2022 LTD PB and agree , overall 21 mpg and around 19 Winter so far in Winter I'm cursed by living 1.1 miles from work LOL. ( never warms up) I "hypermiled" last night however at 38 F outside ( we live in Canada--think Upstate New York) ) and stayed off the expressway and got , for the very first time ever-- 27.7 mpg, I made my wife look at it when we pulled into the driveway , for which I am still paying, and realized outside temp has a huge affect on this set up. The KILLER is the 3.73 gears, You can not maintain 20 mpg on the highway if you pass 70 mph, 75mph is a disaster on the mpg. I traded a 2019 LTD with the 450 hp twin turbo , non hybrid but with 3.55 gears and always blasted down the highway between 75 and 80 , never less than 20-21 mpg.

BTW, never show your wife BLUE CRUISE with your hands in the air while proceeding in robust traffic, , trust me , just don't do it. You'll need more than Tequila. One more thing, , I love this truck, it rides like a dream.

I have no proof of anything but would give proverbial even odds on Ford's increasing battery capacity a little in future models as a " new and improved " selling feature in say 2024 or 2025 models to give it just a bit more range while in electric mode.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
I have 11k miles on my 22 XLT 157" 4X4 PB & picked it up mid July 2022. It has averaged slightly more than 25mpg (hand calculated) overall since I got it & normally displays 750+ miles to empty at fill up. My best tank averaged 29.2mpg over 700 miles between fill ups. Some tanks I only get 23mpg.
There is a lot that goes into all of this. My truck is bone stock, except for a tonneau cover (No lift, factory tires & wheels, no tune, etc.). That is to say that I run about 65 on the expressway, if I have to get on it, provided that I can safely stay out of everybody else's way. Most of my driving is at 50 - 60 on 2 lanes. I pay close attention to air pressure & generally run it a few pounds high. I try to never carry any extra weight that can be reasonably avoided & rarely have passengers. As it works out for me, I almost never take short trips with a cold drive train. And since I generally am in no big hurry, I am always looking as far ahead as I can, & coasting up to stops with virtually no mechanical braking (regenerative only), again provided that I am not impeding others. And I too monitor PIDS to see what impact I can have on mileage with my driver input.

I drive like an old man because that is what I am. Old men are mostly creatures of habit. I drive the same routes repetitively & compete with myself to figure out how to improve my mileage on every subsequent trip. Driving this amazing truck is my interactive video game. Hypermiling is a hobby for me & you got to know that old men love to talk about getting good gas mileage.

This is just too much of a price for many to pay to get great mileage. If I had this truck 30 or 40 years ago, I would have been lucky to get 15mpg.

All of this is not to say that there are not some stinker PB's out there that can't get good mileage while being towed downhill.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
I'm in it for the slightly better gas mileage and most definitely for the 7.2 kWh Pro Power. The acceleration performance is fun sometimes too.
Sponsored