Whats the point of hybrid?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
When you get home from the office and "This Trip" states that you drove 23 miles total, 5.6 miles were electric, and the 6000lb brick used 1 gallon of fuel (23mpg)

Oh, and the generator :)
Sponsored

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Well just a bit more power from the batteries would be nice. It is possible to accelerate from a stop but at a snails pace. Ford could provide a bit more access to the reserve.
Is the battery providing additional torque when the ice kickes in?
I do notice the rpms are much lower than my other 3.5.
I'm confused. Are you trying to keep it in electric mode when accelerating? My ICE always comes on when I hit the gas from a stop. The MPG gains from the hybrid are during coasting and slowing down when your ICE can turn off and still cruise along at the desired speed. Accelerating is almost always going to be your ICE, plus whatever juice your electric has in it.

If you hit the gas to accelerate and it is always moving at a snails pace, something is wrong.

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired
So you bought a power boost without knowing or understanding what a power boost is?

Curious how that decision was made?
fwiw I have 2 electric rangers 99 and01 both Lead acid flashed to NiMH(using IOM modules) then converted to LiFePO4 batteries.Always had range insecurity even when pack was new. The escapes still get 28+ mpg in 4x4 and 10* weather. AND I can recharge 06-07 hybrid batteries with push of a button and 20 AMP charger Only flaw is crush chassis doesn't tolerate salt. My 2021 PB hybrid gets 24mpg (22.50 since new) in addition the 150 chassis +Alum body+valugard has given me the best winter performance yet. I only wish Ford would mfg. an expedition hybrid EL now.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
If I have a flat-to-downhill grade in front of me, and just bouncing between lights, it's possible to accelerate to the next stop only using the motor. Yes, I have to go super-easy and I tend not to do this when other folks are behind me, but if I'm not in a hurry it's quite simple to stay out of the ICE.

Now, if state-of-charge is at the low end, the grade is even slightly uphill, or I get into it the slightest bit, then that 1-3 shift will occur on the ICE with EV assist.

Sponsored

MoSlick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum 2018Mustang GT 2013 Cadillac SRX
Occupation
Retired Farmer
fwiw I have 2 electric rangers 99 and01 both Lead acid flashed to NiMH(using IOM modules) then converted to LiFePO4 batteries.Always had range insecurity even when pack was new. The escapes still get 28+ mpg in 4x4 and 10* weather. AND I can recharge 06-07 hybrid batteries with push of a button and 20 AMP charger Only flaw is crush chassis doesn't tolerate salt. My 2021 PB hybrid gets 24mpg (22.50 since new) in addition the 150 chassis +Alum body+valugard has given me the best winter performance yet. I only wish Ford would mfg. an expedition hybrid EL now.
I just wish my truck would get the mileage your truck is getting. My 2021 Limited power boost is at 17.9 lifetime mpg. That is not even close to the 24 that they said it would get. I can remember seeing the first ad for this truck saying that you could get 750 miles per tank. The highest I have ever seen after I fill up is 620 miles. And I don’t drive it like a sports car.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Well just a bit more power from the batteries would be nice. It is possible to accelerate from a stop but at a snails pace. Ford could provide a bit more access to the reserve.
Is the battery providing additional torque when the ice kickes in?
I do notice the rpms are much lower than my other 3.5.
Yes, the additional HP from the electric motor is for the ICE.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be additional.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just wish my truck would get the mileage your truck is getting. My 2021 Limited power boost is at 17.9 lifetime mpg. That is not even close to the 24 that they said it would get. I can remember seeing the first ad for this truck saying that you could get 750 miles per tank. The highest I have ever seen after I fill up is 620 miles. And I don’t drive it like a sports car.
I'd like to get my hands on one of these Powerboost trucks that aren't getting good gas mileage.

I'd run every PID in the arsenal against it and SEE what it is doing differently than the 2 Powerboost that I have monitored. (for enough 1,000s of miles to be fairly intimate with the "normal" parameters)

It would have to be bone stock, no lift, no additional rolling resistance, or the apples/apples wouldn't work.

I can clearly see the difference between the various mileage results that I get on my daily repeatable commute. Or put another way, I'm not scratching my head if one day it's 21mpg and the next day it's 24.3.

Current weather lends to the 21, of course.

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My 2021 Limited power boost is at 17.9 lifetime mpg. And I don’t drive it like a sports car.
I'm running about the same lifetime mpg but I do drive mine like a sports car. Kinda almost scared myself a bit running a dog leg type turn the other day at an enthusiastic MPH. Truck held the turn just fine. BTW - no one was out in that area except for trees.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'd like to get my hands on one of these Powerboost trucks that aren't getting good gas mileage.

I'd run every PID in the arsenal against it and SEE what it is doing differently than the 2 Powerboost that I have monitored. (for enough 1,000s of miles to be fairly intimate with the "normal" parameters)

It would have to be bone stock, no lift, no additional rolling resistance, or the apples/apples wouldn't work.

I can clearly see the difference between the various mileage results that I get on my daily repeatable commute. Or put another way, I'm not scratching my head if one day it's 21mpg and the next day it's 24.3.

If I had to guess, my bet is that it’s mostly related to lower seasonal temperatures, combined with winter gas blends (@MoSlick looks to be a good bit further north than you are). The ICE has to stay on comparatively longer to warm up the engine and provide heat to the passenger compartment, and one is more likely to “let it warm up” for 5 or 10 minutes before driving. Plus, I recall reading that the battery has a climate control of its own, to try to keep the battery in the “goldilocks zone” for best battery functionality.

I noticed that I was getting better mileage in October and November compared to January and February. I expect it to get better again in April or May.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
What is the point of a hybrid is question that has vexed me for a while.

i think either one or the other due to complexity and cost. for me right now, just efficient ICE. Now i really like to go electric.. but not with lithium (mostly) batteries. Vendors are starting to move towards lifepo2 which are not as "hot" a battery, but they last for 3000 cycles and good lithium might get 700. You get an F150 with lithium iron phosphate batteries and it is going to be a keeper. i think ford is going that way in year or two.
They may skip the iron phosphate and go straight to solid state.

I think the key benefits of the hybrid system is additional power and torque especially during acceleration and improved efficiency during deacceleration, coasting, going downhill, and when stopped. I've driven non-hybrid vehicles with auto start/stop, and don't like it, but auto start/stop with a hybrid is almost seamless. Maybe I'm just a little odd, but getting stuck in stop and go traffic and seeing your gas mileage go up is pretty cool.
I've hated auto stop/start on every vehicle I've driven except this PB. It's a thing of beauty being able to idle and the changes between ICE and electric are seamless almost all the time except that first shift occasionally. Do I wish it was a PHEV with ~30miles of range, hell yeah.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I had to guess, my bet is that it’s mostly related to lower seasonal temperatures, combined with winter gas blends (@MoSlick looks to be a good bit further north than you are). The ICE has to stay on comparatively longer to warm up the engine and provide heat to the passenger compartment, and one is more likely to “let it warm up” for 5 or 10 minutes before driving. Plus, I recall reading that the battery has a climate control of its own, to try to keep the battery in the “goldilocks zone” for best battery functionality.

I noticed that I was getting better mileage in October and November compared to January and February. I expect it to get better again in April or May.
I agree with the winter weather premise, but some guys report poor mileage in the summer and they sound convincing that they aren't driving any differently than the average fella does.

That's why I'm so curious. I want to see if it really is just an outlier, or if suddenly in my hands and driving conditions it's no different than the 2 I've had.

My 2021 Platinum had the EPA 24mpg rating and the 2022 KingRanch arrived with a reduced 23mpg rating.

Sure enough in its 11,000 miles it is right around 1mpg less efficient. Some portion of that is Ford removing the IWE and the truck has permanently locked front hubs.

I don't think that is a full 1 mpg, but manufacturers don't normally rate in decimals, so I imagine they had to "round down"?

Anyways, I know how I would feel reading all these happy fuel mileage posts on forums, knowing mine wasn't even in the same neighborhood. It'd probably steal some of the joy from owning what otherwise is an amazing truck.

MoSlick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum 2018Mustang GT 2013 Cadillac SRX
Occupation
Retired Farmer

You could get your hands on mine. Mine will be on a dealer lot next week. Trading it in for a BMW X7. Since I moved off of a farm I really don’t need a truck anymore.
Sponsored