First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
If you have leather the ventilated seats will help keep your back from sweating and sticking in the heat. The 4 auto is nice so in the winter time you don't have to worry about switching back and forth. Set it and forget it. Acts like AWD and may save your but when you don't think you need 4wd.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
4A is great when there are dry patches of pavement between ice/snow where you wouldn’t want to be in 4H. Also good in rain.
4A has officially been taken off my wanted list. 2H has been fine and dandy in rain and 4H does sound and feel weird on those dry patches but I’ll take that weirdness if it saves me over $10k. I really appreciate your input though. First hand info is always better than stuff I find on google.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Just want to note, because I have seen too many of the 4WD-auto arguments escalate, usually on the "other" forum...

The Lariat and up doesn't have what the typical definition of AWD is (power sent to all 4 wheels all the time). It has 4WD-auto, or partial-AWD. Meaning it is normally RWD until it senses it needs 4WD (4H).

From what I've seen on threads, the folks that have had it SWEAR by it, and the ones that don't have it seem to fall back on toxic masculinity and insult the manliness of those that enjoy the feature. I'm not sure why this is? But anyway, yes you can manually select 4H when needed but it sure seems to be a killer feature to not have to think about it. Personally, I'm looking forward to it coming from XLT to a KR.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Also Eric, 2 more things I haven't seen mentioned:

1. I believe Lariat and up gives the option for B&O unleashed but not on XLT
2. Lariat and up automatically get powered tailgate if you want the step or work surface. You can no longer get a step tailgate without power, that is only XLT or XL.

Sponsored

Andyc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14 Shelby Raptor. 05 AEV Jeep TJ4.6 SC. 21 Lariat
Occupation
Business owner
***Another very important point:
Adding 4x4 on an XLT w/2.7L costs $4,150
Adding 4x4 on a Lariat w/2.7L costs $5,200
What’s up with that??
Think you probably answered the question with your earlier post. Lariat uses an advanced gearbox with AWD in the form of 4A. We could start a whole new thread on manufacturing cost verses selling cost for upgrades, but as we all know and accept, that is where the profit margins improve. At least we are not talking the Tesla approach, sell car with many features across model range. Charging extra to unlock features and not allowing third party access. So in fact you buy a car that you can not do what you like with.

Back to 4A or 4H. I have never been a drift merchant and getting to the stage in life where reactions are starting to slow. I would like to see a drifting star suddenly loose the rear end of an empty F150 on a damp slight diesel spilt busy UK roundabout and get it into 4H, before he is at minimum 180 degrees the opposite direction looking at the bemused faces of the following traffic.

For me $1050 for 4A then adding 30% import tax and VAT on top to get into UK, is still a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind on anything but dry roads. But then I come from being able to benefit from AWD in the Range Rover for over 50 years. It has taken most of the worlds pickup market this long to catch up with the fact that pushing along ( I know a lot now have IWE) the front axle and extra weight for 90% of the vehicles life is a bit of a waste.

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
Leather, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, LED projector lights, Keyless ignition, digital dash, and I am sure I forgot something.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Heated steering wheel, hate wearing bulky gloves when driving.

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
The heated cloth seats in the xlt are actually super comfortable. The leather is nice. But like others have said. The gauge cluster, lane departure, adaptive cruise control, nicer interior, power tailgate, b&o sound system, dual climate control 360 cameras folding mirrors. Not sure how much of this is trim level based or package based?

I only test dove one xlt and a Lariat. The xlts are not a bad choice, If I could have got the King Ranch I would have, like you I couldn't justify the extra 8k to jump up.

Not sure about the upgrade price difference, maybe has to do with the dash cluster read out or something to that effect?

If you can live with out some of the upgrades take that 12k and throw a few bucks at aftermarket upgrades. I have seen some nice xlts and that Katskin is super nice upgrade on the seats.

Good luck

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
***Another very important point:
Adding 4x4 on an XLT w/2.7L costs $4,150
Adding 4x4 on a Lariat w/2.7L costs $5,200
What’s up with that??
Transfer case is different
The 2hi,4hi/lo TC locks the font and rear together so going around any corners the drivetrain can get bound up.

The TC with 4A has a differential that will allow each wheel to travel at different speeds.
This is kind of important for city type driving where dry patches and turns are the norm.

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
This is for anyone that got/ordered a 2021 Lariat.
From what I can see on the build/price page on the Ford website, the main real difference is the grille and leather between the two.

I’m not saying there isn’t but I couldn’t really find anything on the Lariat build that you couldn’t get on the XLT.
I’m asking because my XLT is gonna take at least a few more months to deliver but my dealer mentioned that he has a few Lariats on hand that I could take today if I liked any of them.

I probably won’t end up with a lariat because there’s so much about them cosmetically that I hate.
I think that brown leather on the Sport models was a terrible idea. It’s not even a nice brown like chocolate.
And I hate that red detailing on the leather on the non-sport models.
The grille is nicer than the XLT but the the one with the extra chrome with the Chrome Pack is terrible.
I think most people will disagree with this but the rims that come with the 501a pack, 18” machined aluminum, those are actually my second favourite of all the rim options. First place goes to the 18” Sport model rims
I ordered an XLT to replace my 2015 XLT, but found it had to be a Lariat to get the 12” digital cluster which I really wanted so appropriately 4K more when I upgraded my order back in October.

FlyingInMN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 1/25/21 order date
I think a few of you were misinformed. The XLT can get the 12” screen, lane departure, active cruise control, 360 camera, B&O, and dual climate.

I am going to miss the electric folding mirrors, auto 4x4, and heated steering wheel but those would be pretty spendy options stepping up to the Lariat. I couldn’t justify it and put the XLT on order.

Brute150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FiST
For me it came down to three things.
1. Power running boards, the lowest trim to get it is Lariat.
2. The brown dash with brushed aluminum finish. Absolutely love it. Getting so many compliments on that combination.
3. Didnt want cloth seats on XLT

jfg6869

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Velocity Blue Sport XLT Screw 3.5 EB
I think a few of you were misinformed. The XLT can get the 12” screen, lane departure, active cruise control, 360 camera, B&O, and dual climate.

I am going to miss the electric folding mirrors, auto 4x4, and heated steering wheel but those would be pretty spendy options stepping up to the Lariat. I couldn’t justify it and put the XLT on order.
People are talking about the 12" instrument cluster when they say "screen".
Sponsored