What would you do?

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
On 8/1 my new truck went into production, so I listed my current truck for sale (2014 F150 XLT Supercab RWD). On 8/22 I had a guy make me an offer. Because I didn't have my new truck yet we agreed that we'd wait for it to come in. He was getting a little antsy waiting for it the past couple of weeks, but it finally came in and I sold it to him today. It is a 2014 F150 Supercab. 10 minutes later he called because he couldn't find the 4WD.

The issue is it's not 4WD. I never made any claims that it was 4WD, or did anything to suggest it. When I made the sale I believed he knew it was 2WD. He had the right to inspect the vehicle, and I assumed that if it was important to him he would of asked.

He offered me $500 to undo the deal. By the time this happened the title was signed over, he had a bill of sale that indicated it was sold "as is", I had the license plates returned to the DMV, and I cancelled my insurance.

On one hand, he was willing to wait for 4 weeks to buy a truck that he believed he loved. He even paid asking price for it. I also never specified that it was 2wd. On the other hand, I told a dozen people over the past 4 weeks that it was sold, and I don't know if I'm willing to take the financial risk by undoing the deal Also, if I undo the sale I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay taxes and registration again. We live in Nebraska and the guy lives on a country road, 4WD is pretty important. I made the same mistake when I bought it, and ended up being just fine after 5 extra-snowy winters.

Would you undo the sale or just say its his loss? Or something else?
Sponsored

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
Maybe consider consulting an attorney? Many will give you a free consultation to hear what you have to say. Just my 2-cents worth.

OP
OP

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
I'm not afraid of any legal matters. The bill of sale specifically said "Sold as is", and none of my ads had 4wd in them. I'm more concerned about him getting heated over this and coming back to my house to break all my windows.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
My opinion it’s on him if everything is signed over already.
If he waited 4 weeks and then showed up and realized it wasn’t 4wd and backed out then a little aggravating but ok. But he didn’t do that, he didn’t check when you gave him the opportunity and now it’s too far along. But that’s me.

now devils advocate - I don’t know how good your listing was. For example look at all the people selling after market wheels who just say 20” and the tire size. No back spacing, no offset, no lug pattern etc.

With that being said as an example, I still think it’s his fault.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I haven't been in many trucks in my lifetime, but in all of them, it was pretty obvious to me that they were 4WD even though I never used it. If you're buying a truck and don't know it isn't 4WD before buying, shame on you.

Sponsored

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 5.0 SCREW 157"wb FX4
On 8/1 my new truck went into production, so I listed my current truck for sale (2014 F150 XLT Supercab RWD). On 8/22 I had a guy make me an offer. Because I didn't have my new truck yet we agreed that we'd wait for it to come in. He was getting a little antsy waiting for it the past couple of weeks, but it finally came in and I sold it to him today. It is a 2014 F150 Supercab. 10 minutes later he called because he couldn't find the 4WD.

The issue is it's not 4WD. I never made any claims that it was 4WD, or did anything to suggest it. When I made the sale I believed he knew it was 2WD. He had the right to inspect the vehicle, and I assumed that if it was important to him he would of asked.

He offered me $500 to undo the deal. By the time this happened the title was signed over, he had a bill of sale that indicated it was sold "as is", I had the license plates returned to the DMV, and I cancelled my insurance.

On one hand, he was willing to wait for 4 weeks to buy a truck that he believed he loved. He even paid asking price for it. I also never specified that it was 2wd. On the other hand, I told a dozen people over the past 4 weeks that it was sold, and I don't know if I'm willing to take the financial risk by undoing the deal Also, if I undo the sale I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay taxes and registration again. We live in Nebraska and the guy lives on a country road, 4WD is pretty important. I made the same mistake when I bought it, and ended up being just fine after 5 extra-snowy winters.

Frustrating conundrum! I'm sure you already thought of this, but what about just forwarding his contact info (with his permission) to some of those other folks who were interested in buying from you?

Good luck!

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The fact that you mention you thought it was 4WD when you bought it only to find out it wasn’t, and now you have a person in the same predicament as you, not realizing it wasn’t 4WD, kinda sounds to me like a bit of a setup.

He made the same mistake as you, and with you having the previous experience, I would think you would’ve been more clear about it not being 4WD.

Obviously the buyer should’ve done his due diligence and maybe read the posting a little more clearly, but it sounds to me like there’s fault on both sides. Legally you’re in the clear, and technically you don’t owe him anything, but it sounds to me like you passed off your mistake.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
Frustrating conundrum! I'm sure you already thought of this, but what about just forwarding his contact info (with his permission) to some of those other folks who were interested in buying from you?

Good luck!
That’s a pretty good idea actually. Clean your hands of it and make other people happy. And sounds like it would be $500 less too 😄

Reactions: J-C

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired

I doubt you'll have any problem reselling it but it's your call.

OP
OP

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
I forwarded the waiting list of potential buyers to him earlier w/ contact information and offered to relist it on Craigslist / Facebook for him. I definately want to help him sell it and recapture his money if at all possible.

The deal was for $1,000 over blue book, but I also gad a dealer offer blue book so I think he'll recapture most everything.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I forwarded the waiting list of potential buyers to him earlier w/ contact information and offered to relist it on Craigslist / Facebook for him. I definately want to help him sell it and recapture his money if at all possible.

The deal was for $1,000 over blue book, but I also gad a dealer offer blue book so I think he'll recapture most everything.
You're doing the right thing. You have the documentation for a proper sale so stick with that. Help him if you can but do not buy the truck back.

With that said 2 wheel drive for a truck is somewhat unusual and should be clearly spelled out IMO. The buyer should be aware of that and if 4 wheel drive was on his "must have" list, he clearly dropped the ball when looking for a truck. That is on him. He will sell it do not worry about that.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I haven't been in many trucks in my lifetime, but in all of them, it was pretty obvious to me that they were 4WD even though I never used it. If you're buying a truck and don't know it isn't 4WD before buying, shame on you.
Not necessarily all.
When I bought the Trailblazer for her, I had no idea it was a 4x4 til I got it home. That being said, I was not dismayed.
Newer trucks, about 2005 and up 1/2 tons, it is not obvious without the decals or badges.
2-wd trucks just got so tall you can’t tell any more.
Here in S Texas, pretty good mix of the two
They all look alike

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Not necessarily all.
When I bought the Trailblazer for her, I had no idea it was a 4x4 til I got it home. That being said, I was not dismayed.
Newer trucks, about 2005 and up 1/2 tons, it is not obvious without the decals or badges.
2-wd trucks just got so tall you can’t tell any more.
Here in S Texas, pretty good mix of the two
They all look alike
I'm not going by exterior looks, I'm sitting in the driver's seat and there is always a control for 4WD, button, lever, or otherwise. Same thing in SUVs that have had 4WD and not AWD/2WD. Maybe it's just me looking at all the controls before driving something I haven't before though.

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired
IMO it would seem to me the buyer's problem. There's no way I would buy any vehicle, especially a used, without a test drive/mechanical inspection. If he did test drive (I didn't see that mentioned in the OP) and didn't notice no 4WD then, then there's no way he could state " false advertising", etc.
Sponsored