Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
I'm still trying to convince myself and my wife that now is the time to order a new truck.

But if I do, one option that is definitely on my PB configuration is the engine block heater. My 2500HD gains over a full mpg (note: from say, 11 to 12.5 mpg) from having its coolant, oil pan, and transmission pan pre-heated in the garage before daily driving in the winter time. Easy to set a timer for 4am-7am heating, and just not plug the truck in on weekends, holidays or whatever.

Also on my configuration:
- no FX4
- no tow mirrors (even though I'll need some - aftermarket easy on/off saves you drag in daily driving).
- replace tall antenna whip with a shorty
- add a tonneau cover immediately
- purchase additional undershield (cat converter shield) and look at any easy places to improve underbody aero.

I'm pretty convinced that 24-25 mpg is achievable in daily mixed driving, in a truck that can tow 10,000 lbs and also happens to be the fastest f150 ever made. Do want.
While I have the FX4 pkg and non tow mirrors, I added a short antenna and tonneau (Gater H1 was the best for me).

I came from a 2004 F-150 that got around 14MPG on a good day so I love the 50% increase in MPG. I also noticed on colder days, doing a remote start for about 10 minutes before leaving helps get the hybrid in a friendly place. That does cost some overall MPGs since the engine idles. Having a block heater should be similar and help increase the MPGs

the sweet spot for the PB system seems to be in the 35 to 50MPH and average suburban traffic flows.

I made a thread a while back about driving the PB and there is a lot of good info there to increase the MPGs. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/new-to-powerboost-how-to-drive-it.12893/#post-262134

Good Luck
Sponsored

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
I'm still trying to convince myself and my wife that now is the time to order a new truck.

But if I do, one option that is definitely on my PB configuration is the engine block heater. My 2500HD gains over a full mpg (note: from say, 11 to 12.5 mpg) from having its coolant, oil pan, and transmission pan pre-heated in the garage before daily driving in the winter time. Easy to set a timer for 4am-7am heating, and just not plug the truck in on weekends, holidays or whatever.

Also on my configuration:
- no FX4
- no tow mirrors (even though I'll need some - aftermarket easy on/off saves you drag in daily driving).
- replace tall antenna whip with a shorty
- add a tonneau cover immediately
- purchase additional undershield (cat converter shield) and look at any easy places to improve underbody aero.

I'm pretty convinced that 24-25 mpg is achievable in daily mixed driving, in a truck that can tow 10,000 lbs and also happens to be the fastest f150 ever made. Do want.

Just because Ford states it will tow 10,000lbs doesn't mean that it's going to be easy to do it. 8 mpg would be great if towing that much weight with a F-150.

I don't think adding any of that is going to add 1 mpg, I've got 24 mpg + mixed but I am around 21.1mpg lifetime. I have noticed that over 45 degrees that the Powerboost gets much better fuel economy.

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
Completely agree. 10k lbs being the absolute max. 7-8k more likely the comfortable upper limit for frequent towing. All with WDH, obviously. My 2500hd gets 9-10 mpg towing heavy, and I wouldn’t expect a powerboost to do much better. But daily driving or basic hauling…. Impressive mpg potential.

I see so many of you guys mentioning the ambient temperature as a major impact upon observed fuel economy, and it pains me a little. Because it also sounds like no one is really trying to do anything about it. Poor fuel economy in winter conditions is primarily from having to wait until the oil, coolant, trans, and hybrid battery are fully warmed up before optimal efficiency can be obtained. So get the block heater, plus an oil pan heater, plus a trans-pan heater, and say F$&@-you to winter. That’s my plan, anyway. A garage is pretty helpful for this strategy, of course. But if you can afford a pickup that costs almost as much as a small house, i do hope you park it inside. :)

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I get confused by the various info given back by the truck. I'm currently on my 3rd tank from new and have about 560km total and 240km "electric driving" in this tank. Am I understanding correctly that the "electric driving" milage only ticks up on full electric? It certainly seems so.

If the above is true, I have 1/4 tank left and will likely be dry by about 700km. But that would mean that I am going to get like 350-450km from the gas or gas/battery, considering the rest would be "electric driving"? That's awful compared to just the regular ecoboost isn't it?

I think I'm missing something big in the way I view things, but with the "electric driving" being close to or over half of my mileage you'd think I'd get the same distance out of a tank as a regular ecoboost plus the all-electric mileage.

I have not yet put on the 1600km's of "break in", nor do I do virtually any highway driving with it. With that said, I am getting pretty good at working the system to be on battery quite often.

I know it's not supposed to be a crazy hybrid, but with just under 1/2 electric miles and 12-13 l/100km (18-19 mpg) it feels like I am several liters or gallons below what others regularly see.

Do I just wait for it to break in more? Am I totally off base with my expectations?

lacartus

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F150 PB
I posted about a frequent mostly highway drive that I do twice a week (here), following-up with a a local drive I make several times per week (screen shot, 23.8 MPG, 5.7 miles) that is what I think of as an optimal 45-50 MPH mostly flat route. In a loaded Lariat with 33" e-rated tires, I won't complain.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_20230118_184644.JPG

Sponsored

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I posted about a frequent mostly highway drive that I do twice a week (here), following-up with a a local drive I make several times per week (screen shot, 23.8 MPG, 5.7 miles) that is what I think of as an optimal 45-50 MPH mostly flat route. In a loaded Lariat with 33" e-rated tires, I won't complain.

IMG_20230118_184644.JPG
That is really interesting, especially since your Electric Miles were only about 1/3 of the total. Your 23.8 MPG is 9.88l/100km which I'd be thrilled with! I think my total across all three tanks so far is closer to 13.5.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1675557779652

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
10.6L/100km - 22mpg
87 octane 10% ethanol, I don’t baby it either.

My best was 8.4L/100km - 28mpg doing a 120km trip at 80km/h. That was a hyper mile trip

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I am at 18,000 miles, averaging about 18.2 mpg using it mainly to commute, almost no towing. 2021 PowerBoost

lacartus

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F150 PB
That is really interesting, especially since your Electric Miles were only about 1/3 of the total. Your 23.8 MPG is 9.88l/100km which I'd be thrilled with! I think my total across all three tanks so far is closer to 13.5.
I think that might be close to my ideal route being mostly flat and fast enough to just get into 10th gear with little boost. Also, it's quite a bit warner down here in Imperial measurement land (North Carolina) :ROFLMAO: I imagine your truck would get the same or better mileage.

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I think that might be close to my ideal route being mostly flat and fast enough to just get into 10th gear with little boost. Also, it's quite a bit warner down here in Imperial measurement land (North Carolina) :ROFLMAO: I imagine your truck would get the same or better mileage.
Yeah I’m certainly curious what happens when it warms up. I’m pretty close to Seattle though so it’s less “great white North” here and more “grey and dreary”. It only gets to below freezing a couple days per year.

Sponsored

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Enjoying the thread for certain but any run less than 1000 miles of your standard duty cycle should realistically be excluded, imo.

Ultimately what we are all after is saving money when the year is up, not saving dimes over a short stretch after-all.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I might have missed in in this huge thread.

Has anyone scanned and looked at the timing tables while accelerating to see if the Powerboost is pulling timing on low octane fuel? That's the easiest way to see if the engine is actually more 'efficient' while running higher octane fuel.

Furthermore, if the answer is yes, has anyone tested to see if they can maintain the more advanced timing/ efficiency while running mid grade fuel?

Thanks to anyone that can share anything.

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium
I've got 2,500 miles on a my23 Platinum. Drove back from Granger IA and averaged 17. Live in Northern Ca. so no extreme winter weather. Can still barely get over 17 anywhere, town driving or hwy. I've been driving on normal and eco mode, watching the eco coach closely. Can now pretty well get 90-100 on the braking game, but average trips maybe close to 18. Only time I averaged over 20 was coming down the grade from Tahoe into the Sac valley.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I might have missed in in this huge thread.

Has anyone scanned and looked at the timing tables while accelerating to see if the Powerboost is pulling timing on low octane fuel? That's the easiest way to see if the engine is actually more 'efficient' while running higher octane fuel.

Furthermore, if the answer is yes, has anyone tested to see if they can maintain the more advanced timing/ efficiency while running mid grade fuel?

Thanks to anyone that can share anything.
Extensively monitored and shared.
Both the KR and the timing advance is OBVIOUS between the grades.

And it's been true on my 2018 Ecoboost, 2021 Powerboost, and 2022 Powerboost.

However, that does not mean that the value equation is always in favor of 93 over 87. That would depend on the price difference.

Regardless, I enjoy the evidence of a happy combustion chamber much more than knowing that I spent the least amount possible per mile.

Buying a fully optioned ridiculously priced truck makes it difficult for me to convince myself that I am a brilliant economist. :)

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Extensively monitored and shared.
Both the KR and the timing advance is OBVIOUS between the grades.

And it's been true on my 2018 Ecoboost, 2021 Powerboost, and 2022 Powerboost.

However, that does not mean that the value equation is always in favor of 93 over 87. That would depend on the price difference.

Regardless, I enjoy the evidence of a happy combustion chamber much more than knowing that I spent the least amount possible per mile.

Buying a fully optioned ridiculously priced truck makes it difficult for me to convince myself that I am a brilliant economist. :)
😆

Found the thread.

Thx.
Sponsored

Last edited: