What grade fuel for PowerBoost?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Comparing different countries (or even states in the USA) tax rates on the citizens based on one type can be very misleading. There's an unlimited number of methods to extract revenue from the folks and there's never going to be a moment in history that they aren't thinking about increasing it.

It's just the nature of governing. I don't take it personal. Lol Render to Caesar and all that jazz. Meanwhile I live a life that would be the envy of almost all mankind not that many decades ago.
Sponsored

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
I don't think "gas prices up 50% in a year" is fair, because, well, gas prices were stupidly, dangerously low last year due to the initial pandemic panic that saw all kinds of unprecedented crap...like negative oil prices.

All in all, gas is currently pretty inexpensive.

I don't think that has anything to do with the "don't let your tank get to E" thing that started this, I just can't stand the sheep who purposely and consistently run their tanks down to E then at the first hint of an issue freak out and buy up all the gas waiting in huge lines and screaming about how it's all somebody elses fault they need to buy gas RIGHT NOW or they can't go to work tomorrow.

Fill up at 1/2. Especially when driving a trailer-less pickup that gets a huge range on each tank, it's not hard, it doesn't take very long, and it prepares you so much better for _____

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I can't ignore my tank once it gets below 1/2.
I'm not saying that I don't keep driving, but I can't ignore it.
Probably from all the miles of towing RV's in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night and knowing I could get caught out.
Also, I have in my brain that the intank fuel pump needs to be good and submerged to stay cool. Longer pump life. I don't know how many gallons it takes to keep it happy though.
And finally, I think 50 years of riding motorcycles could have even more to do with it. Way easier to have fuel fear with some of them having little tanks and unreliable gauges.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I buy more gas in Russia (my 5-year VISA runs out in January), China, Africa, Mexico and South America than in the U.S., and can't be bothered to think in liters vs gallons and francs, pesos, rubles, renminbi, etc., so don't really consider price much, but can assure you that the U.S. fuel situation is nirvana. When you're in a mud road town in Rwanda, you buy black market gas from a guy with jerry cans and the price vs quality isn't relevant - you're just glad he's there because the closed gas station that you're standing in hasn't had gas for two weeks and won't for two more. You assess octane by smell and then only to ensure it isn't water. Price? Equivalent of $10/gallon. And EVERYONE is happy. Carry on.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I can't ignore my tank once it gets below 1/2.
I'm not saying that I don't keep driving, but I can't ignore it.
I can confirm that if you have 65 miles to empty, and you 4x4 launch the Powerboost from dead stop, it will lose fuel and fall on its face around the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. I did this trying to get a BMW to race.

I think 1/4 tank or more might be ok for Quarter mile runs, but I guess that has always been the rule of thumb with boosted vehicles without baffles in the fuel cell.

I made mine starve for fuel once, and that was enough for me :)

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 @ 107 degrees ambient temperature.

Dyno runs completed between 2:20PM - 2:50PM on 8/23/21.

Fuel Used: 93 Octane E-15

Torque was not recorded because I didn’t want to splice into the coil pack wiring for RPM reading.

Ford F-150 What grade fuel for PowerBoost? 37C60846-A085-42E6-B3A7-884AAA3E7E17

Ford F-150 What grade fuel for PowerBoost? 58DF8610-D6E4-4B7F-BC4A-2BB57D160B76

Last edited:

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 @ 107 degrees ambient temperature.

Dyno runs completed between 2:20PM - 2:50PM on 8/23/21.

Fuel Used: 93 Octane E-15

Torque was not recorded because I didn’t want to splice into the coil pack wiring for RPM reading.

37C60846-A085-42E6-B3A7-884AAA3E7E17.png
17% drivetrain loss. Seems right, especially for a hot day. I saw a dyno earlier that showed the PB making more than the claimed 430 leading to speculation they were underrated from factory. Yours seems right on the money though.

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
Good post, people hate to think they are underpaid, it's a lot easier to say people are overpaid
Lets get together next election and go Full Republican and get the US back energy defendant on its own resources. Trump was on his way to making it happen.

I just went from 87 octane to 93 Octane on same HWY and my fuel economy jumped from 16.7 t/ 19.8 mpg.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Anyone use ethanol free? I changed from 87 to 91 and noticed about 1.5-2 mpg increase, but I have a Mavrick nearby now that sells ethanol free 87. It looks like ethanol free is okay to use, per the manual, but I’m wondering about 91 ethanol blend v 87 ethanol free?

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Ethanol free will probably give you better fuel economy because gasoline has more energy per gallon than ethanol. I'm not sure how it would change performance though.

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ethanol free will probably give you better fuel economy because gasoline has more energy per gallon than ethanol. I'm not sure how it would change performance though.
Ethanol free will definitely give you better fuel economy, and also will burn cleaner than E15. Performance would be the same if you get the same octane, though the turbos would benefit from E15 if the octane rating is higher (which is most likely the case). In my area the highest Octane I can get is 91 (both E15 & ethanol free), so I choose to get ethanol free. It costs more, but with the extra mpg pretty much equals out the costs, and is a cleaner fuel for the engine.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Around the metro Detroit area the difference is $0.66 to $0.70 per gallon up charge for 93 over 87.. Not even close to your $0.20 you say. So $20.00 +/- extra cost per 30 gallon fill up. The little mpg increase won't come close to cover the extra cost.
Yeah. In the year 2000, you could get premium for only .20 cents more. Where do you get premium for 20 cents more? I’m about to pack up and move there.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I have tried to make a study of this over long stretches driving in Texas, and believe that there is a subjective performance increase on 93 octane. The bigger issue for me is that the price difference between regular and premium varies quite a bit: on the low end, the mileage increase covers it, but on the high end premium costs nearly as much as diesel (which is priced above an '82 Chateau Margaux and just below the actual blood of Christ).

My goal is low TCOL, and I think that the longevity of the truck and lower repair costs figure prominently into that. If 10% more net expenditure on fuel cuts down on repair costs in 10 years, it is probably worthwhile for me.
Sponsored