Sponsored

What do I need to do in order to be able to hear rear speakers?

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
It’s strange, I have the base B&O in my ‘23. It’s adequate- but when I set the fade to the rear in Surround mode, the volume out of the back speakers is almost the same as it is at full front fade- maybe a bit less. Certainly not what some of you here are experiencing.
Sponsored

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
It’s strange, I have the base B&O in my ‘23. It’s adequate- but when I set the fade to the rear in Surround mode, the volume out of the back speakers is almost the same as it is at full front fade- maybe a bit less. Certainly not what some of you here are experiencing.
I can get a balance front to back volume wise... it just throws the eq off. I've jacked up the treble and it seems to breathe some life back into the fronts when it's set like that.

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman
There is definitely is a change between Jan 2021 to March of 2023 with the B&O 8 speaker system.

Had a 18 502a and 19 701a that their version of the B&O 8 Speaker system. Bought a Jan. built 2021 302a XLT with the optional B&O 8 speaker upgrade it was like sitting in the 19 701a.

Traded the 21 off for a 22 302a XLT again with the B&O 8 speaker option and heard an immediate change in sound quality. Theory here is parts shortages. Still have the VIN's of the 21 and other trucks and on a cold winters day going to look up to see which part numbers changed.

Don't need a blaring radio to drive a vehicle but for those thinking of paying extra to upgrade the audio in any F150 save your money.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Nice, not familiar with Qobuz, but it looks cool. I'm all about FLAC files via Torrent and then just use my thumbdrive.
Again, I am NOT an audiophile or expert, but there are some days I just want to crank the he** out of this.. (Its not a FLAC file but...)

Javi, DL this and throw on a thumbdrive and enjoy...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c9ub...emix.mp3?rlkey=4d71dfv6ajvc62s620m07z93x&dl=1

:)
[/QUOImagination..
I listened to it yesterday. Sounds very sharp. There is a part around the 3 minute mark really got the surround effect going. I actually made a video, but it is too large a file to post here. When I put my phone the rear doors, you can clearly hear the rear door speakers doing their job.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
I replaced my rear speakers with a reasonable set of 6.5s. I set the fader 2 clicks from all the back and cranked it up. I then set the treble all the way up too. It sounds about as good as I believe it'll get without dumping a ton of money into it. Not audiophile quality but it's much improved.
@Popplemer Can you tell us what 6.5's you used? Like a lot of folks, I'm willing to do a swap-in, but prob not much more than that.

Sponsored

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Popplemer Can you tell us what 6.5's you used? Like a lot of folks, I'm willing to do a swap-in, but prob not much more than that.
My buddy recommended the Skar audio TX speakers https://www.skaraudio.com/products/tx65-6-5-inch-coaxial-car-speakers

He didn't think it was a great idea to spend a ton on replacement speakers if the DSP would still be the determining factor in the overall sound quality.
I got them on Amazon:

Skar Audio TX65 6.5" 200W 2-Way Elite Coaxial Car Speakers, Pair https://a.co/d/12vOxnW

If you go this route you'll also need the speaker adaptors and wiring harness adaptors which I also got on Amazon:

2 Pack 72-5602 Car Replacement Door Speaker Wiring Harness Plug Connector for 2011-2021 Ford F-150 Fusion Escape Focus Bronco Mustang Mondeo MK4 Mazda 2 3 6 CX5 Cable Plug Speakers Harness https://a.co/d/cJYIRds

Metra Electronics 82-5605 Rear 6.5-Inch Speaker Wire Wall Plate (Speaker Wall Plate) 1 Pair - Black https://a.co/d/545AxKq

Don't listen to Amazon when they suggest that the adaptor rings don't fit. They are literally in my truck right now.

All in all, I'm happy with the speakers and even more thrilled at how easy they were to install. They are a marked improvement over stock and for $85 for the whole setup I found it hard to pass up.

EDIT: A word of caution though, as many others have noted just replacing the speakers doesn't transform the sound. I still had to fade the signal back and boost the treble for best performance.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Hey @scuba I did the same and swapped for JL Audio C2-650x.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My buddy recommended the Skar audio TX speakers https://www.skaraudio.com/products/tx65-6-5-inch-coaxial-car-speakers

He didn't think it was a great idea to spend a ton on replacement speakers if the DSP would still be the determining factor in the overall sound quality.
I got them on Amazon:

Skar Audio TX65 6.5" 200W 2-Way Elite Coaxial Car Speakers, Pair https://a.co/d/12vOxnW

If you go this route you'll also need the speaker adaptors and wiring harness adaptors which I also got on Amazon:

2 Pack 72-5602 Car Replacement Door Speaker Wiring Harness Plug Connector for 2011-2021 Ford F-150 Fusion Escape Focus Bronco Mustang Mondeo MK4 Mazda 2 3 6 CX5 Cable Plug Speakers Harness https://a.co/d/cJYIRds

Metra Electronics 82-5605 Rear 6.5-Inch Speaker Wire Wall Plate (Speaker Wall Plate) 1 Pair - Black https://a.co/d/545AxKq

Don't listen to Amazon when they suggest that the adaptor rings don't fit. They are literally in my truck right now.

All in all, I'm happy with the speakers and even more thrilled at how easy they were to install. They are a marked improvement over stock and for $85 for the whole setup I found it hard to pass up.

EDIT: A word of caution though, as many others have noted just replacing the speakers doesn't transform the sound. I still had to fade the signal back and boost the treble for best performance.
Awesome-- thanks for the actionable info. Putting this on the to-do list.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey @scuba I did the same and swapped for JL Audio C2-650x.
Thanks @JJSnell . I was just re-reading your (thorough) reply to the last time I was thinking about this:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...me-out-put-on-door-speakers.11187/post-353370

Do you think just swapping in the JL's or Skar audio's (with no other changes) will be worth the effort? ....based on the more extensive changes your sound guy recommended (which I won't ever have the time/guts to do).

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Thanks @JJSnell . I was just re-reading your (thorough) reply to the last time I was thinking about this:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...me-out-put-on-door-speakers.11187/post-353370

Do you think just swapping in the JL's or Skar audio's (with no other changes) will be worth the effort? ....based on the more extensive changes your sound guy recommended (which I won't ever have the time/guts to do).
JL's have been rated some of the best speakers for years, decades really.
They did make a difference in sound quality but you won't hear any difference in volume (power) I know it shouldn't need to be said, but some might think, 'better speaker, louder sound'.
I'm having some audio work done on the truck right before Christmas, maybe I will have a better answer on creating more sound (power) in the back by then.

Sponsored

ustafly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
retired
I have the B&O (probably in name only, I would not spend an extra dime on this) and almost nothing comes out of the rear door speakers. I know the speakers are junk, a piece of paper. I bought what seems to be much better quality speakers from Crutchfield - still nothing. Same level as OEM. Even when I fade the audio back to the rear you can barely hear anything.
What do I need to do, without turning my truck into a recording studio with boxes all over place and thousands of $$, in order to have equal level of output from the rear door speakers the same as the front?
And why is it that they are so weak anyways? I don't understand that.
I have the B&O (probably in name only, I would not spend an extra dime on this) and almost nothing comes out of the rear door speakers. I know the speakers are junk, a piece of paper. I bought what seems to be much better quality speakers from Crutchfield - still nothing. Same level as OEM. Even when I fade the audio back to the rear you can barely hear anything.
What do I need to do, without turning my truck into a recording studio with boxes all over place and thousands of $$, in order to have equal level of output from the rear door speakers the same as the front?
And why is it that they are so weak anyways? I don't understand that.
That's funny, I was just wondering the same thing. My '23 XLT with the B&O upgrade sounds weak in the rear.......Reading the replies makes me think it's now just Front L&R stereo, no surround

Reactions: sbi
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Platium
Occupation
Retired
My system is the "poor people's B&O", the standard, not the unleashed 😊. Thank God I didn't pay extra for the upgraded system.

I am certainly not looking to start moving speakers around, drilling and all that kind of stuff. Was just hoping to learn if there is a solution that involve better speakers and perhaps another Amp on the way. Granted, my understanding in vehicle audio systems - amps, pre-amps, tweets, etc - is close to none. As I mentioned in another post - I am not an 'audioholic', just want a decent sound and that everyone in the vehicle, including rear passengers, will be able to listen.
I agree with you and will not be altering the back doors. My system is crap like everyone says. In addition I can hear very little from the speakers in the seats.
I'd like to hear from anyone who comes up with a reasonable solution. Something isn't designed 🤔 correctly.

Jerry3741

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 platinum Black Out Pagage,3.5 engine
Occupation
Retired
I have the regular B&O in my 22 Lariat and I guess I’m one of the few who thinks it’s ok. Not awesome but ok enough to where it would take a large budget to get anything worthwhile replacing it.
Trade for a Chevrolet with the Bose system.

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
Interesting thread... thanks for all the info. I'm not an audiophile by a long shot, and I think the 2023 B&O unleashed doesn't sound too bad. But for a $75k truck, you would think Ford could do a bit better.

I think for now, I'm just going to do a budget solution and update my rear speakers with Pioneer TS-G650's. Can find new pairs on eBay for only $30. Will also looking into adding some sound deadening.

One thing I do notice is driver side road noise. Not sure if it is coming from the the driver side front door, or the glass part of the door.

Came across these and was wondering if anyone had positive results? Says they help reduce road noise... $200 for a set of four is a bit steep, but if they actually work...

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/products/2021-2022-ford-f-150-custom-made-door-access-block-off-plates

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting thread... thanks for all the info. I'm not an audiophile by a long shot, and I think the 2023 B&O unleashed doesn't sound too bad. But for a $75k truck, you would think Ford could do a bit better.

I think for now, I'm just going to do a budget solution and update my rear speakers with Pioneer TS-G650's. Can find new pairs on eBay for only $30. Will also looking into adding some sound deadening.

One thing I do notice is driver side road noise. Not sure if it is coming from the the driver side front door, or the glass part of the door.

Came across these and was wondering if anyone had positive results? Says they help reduce road noise... $200 for a set of four is a bit steep, but if they actually work...

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/products/2021-2022-ford-f-150-custom-made-door-access-block-off-plates
Watching to see about these...
Sponsored