Sponsored

Vehicle Alarm/Security System Suggestions +/or Experiences

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
I am interested in installing a Car Alarm/Security System in my 2022 Powerboost. I would like to find a system that would disable Push Button Start if possible, as it seems that Fob Code theft is becoming an ever increasing problem. Do any of you have advice, experience, or suggestions that you can share on this subject?
Sponsored

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This must be a much taller order than I initially thought. I just stopped by a car alarm shop & they basically told me that the Powerboost has way too much electronics in it, for them to try to mess with. They did point me to another shop that they think may be willing & able to install a security system that does a fuel pump disable, instead of a start (or starter) disable. Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
I think there is a setting in forscan to disable the keyfob remote start. But why spend life hiding like this. Carry insurance.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am insurance poor. It would not be possible to be better insured. Why make it easy for a THIEF? Who wants to pay a higher premium for many years because you made it easier fo a Thief? I am an old Boy Scout. I much prefer to be “Always Prepared”!

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I haven't looked into it yet, but I heard mention of an ODB port lock that can help against theft. Maybe try checking that out. Good luck.

Sponsored

Ben.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 Lariat
If you are worried about people boosting your fab signal then keep your fab in a faraday case whenever it isn't inside the truck.

bigjohnp

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
retired
I live near Montreal. We have lots of car thefts around here. When I picked up my 22 XLT Sport, the dealer installed a hidden button to lock out the starter. They also installed a system called TAG which consists of about 12 to 15 microchips hidden all over the truck to be able to track it if stolen.
https://www.carsystemsinstallation.ca/product/tag-tracking-system-nano-technology-tracking-system/#:~:text=What exactly is the Tag System? The Tag,trained vehicle tracking team should a theft occur. And I also keep my keyfob in a Faraday wallet when not in use.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you are worried about people boosting your fab signal then keep your fab in a faraday case whenever it isn't inside the truck.
The very 1st thing that I did to try to improve my vehicle security was to buy "Key Fob Faraday Pouches". The funny thing is, I can walk up to my truck with my fob in a faraday pouch, & my truck still wakes up about half the time. I initially bought 2 different types & sizes, & have now learned that neither does a perfect job by themselves. They are only completely effective if I put the fob inside 1, & then place it inside the other. I have since ordered better quality (I hope) pouches.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The more I research on this, the more convoluted it becomes. The apparently reasonably knowledgeable people that I have spoken to so far tell me that it is not a simple or practical task to shut down push button start, or the starter itself, or the fuel pump on an F150 Powerboost, as a security measure.

I did speak to a guy who thinks that it may be possible to use a remote control device to disconnect brake pedal output, which would keep the truck from starting. Any thoughts?

Sponsored

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I will see if the pouches that I currently have on order work consistently. If not, I will order what you have recommended. I appreciate the advice.
I have found a faraday box for key fobs that works like a champ. It is the Vonetti Alpha Shield. The latest version is rounded off on all edges & corners, & carries comfortably in my pocket.
Ford F-150 Vehicle Alarm/Security System Suggestions +/or Experiences 1662575602997

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I am interested in installing a Car Alarm/Security System in my 2022 Powerboost. I would like to find a system that would disable Push Button Start if possible, as it seems that Fob Code theft is becoming an ever increasing problem. Do any of you have advice, experience, or suggestions that you can share on this subject?

Just get a set of these Faraday key pouches. I have them and they block 100% of the keyfob signal. Even sitting in the truck with the fob in pouch and in the cup holder the system fails to detect the key. I just made it a habit to put my keys in the pouch every night.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
The faraday blockers are one way but thats only if your key is involved. Like if you are inside your house sleeping etc. Your key gives off a signal, they use a amplifier and receiver to make the truck think the key is right there. They get in and take off.

The other way they do it is through the OBD port which doesn't care if your key is close by or not so the faraday stuff wont matter at that point. They plug up and essentially program a key on the spot and drive off. I don't know how they get in fast using this method but its been done. This is ideally a broken window.

Conclusion: Wouldn't do one without the other. Faraday is alot cheaper though thats for sure. Port blockers are like $190 USD but your covering yourself from both attacks.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The faraday blockers are one way but thats only if your key is involved. Like if you are inside your house sleeping etc. Your key gives off a signal, they use a amplifier and receiver to make the truck think the key is right there. They get in and take off.

The other way they do it is through the OBD port which doesn't care if your key is close by or not so the faraday stuff wont matter at that point. They plug up and essentially program a key on the spot and drive off. I don't know how they get in fast using this method but its been done. This is ideally a broken window.

Conclusion: Wouldn't do one without the other. Faraday is alot cheaper though thats for sure. Port blockers are like $190 USD but your covering yourself from both attacks.
Back in the day we used to wire a kill switch to the fuel pump and hide the switch up under the dash or seat. One guy I knew had it wired to the cruise control button since he never use it anyway. Thieves attempted to steal his truck 4 separate times and were never successful in getting out of the driveway.
Sponsored