First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
This topic might have been discussed previously but I can't find a reference to it. Does anyone know if the remote start/lock and unlock key fob signal can be intercepted or copied by a hacker trying to steal my truck? If so, what can be done to prevent this?
Sponsored

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes it could happen potentially.

What can be done?

Carry insurance.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I've heard of people (not from this forum, or F150 related) using a faraday cage type container to store their keys in to reduce/limit the fob signal when you're at home. Wouldn't think it would be an issue if you park in a closed garage. You could always buy one of those old school clubs to put on your steering wheel if you're that worried about it. But like the post above, have good insurance and don't keep valuables in your truck or in plain sight.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have been using various versions of these for years and they work. Just make sure to use the inner pocket, as when I first tested it, I thought it was defective:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07GDD35GH

They help defeat the easiest method of stealing a car these days; using a cheap signal booster to amplify the frequency band used by your keyless entry fob. You can order one for under $20 plus shipping from one of the same vendors that sell counterfeit sunglasses, watches and purses.

They don’t have to be professional thieves, they could just be looking to ransack the interior or just take the vehicle out for a joyride.

Many people think that when a car or truck is stolen that it’s never seen again and you get your payout but there’s plenty of horror stories of recovered vehicles where the owners wished the police hadn’t done their job.

Imagine that your precious truck is found after being used as a hotel for some drug addicts as well as a taxi for their friends for a few days until the gas tank runs dry and they leave a smell behind that you just can’t get rid of:

Ford F-150 Key fob security 337EFC68-672A-4A3C-B3FF-00A41816ADC2

Then there’s the Club, recommend by TV car thieves since the 80’s:

I see it as a way to defeat millennial car thieves who might be able to hack into a car’s software but become useless when it comes to using a hacksaw or slide hammer.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have had success just wrapping the remote in a couple layers of Aluminum foil. The truck won't recognize it in the cab or when you walk up to the truck so I assume all the signals coming from the remote are blocked.
Sponsored