2023 3.5L EB Platinum w/BAP
Occupation
Info Tech

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Turned off OTAs -- Ford's OTAs are starting to get a little out of hand.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Does this mean that last update changes the engine and transmission behavior?

23STX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Turned off OTAs -- Ford's OTAs are starting to get a little out of hand.
Is there any benefit to keep these OTAs on? Is it even possible to turn them off?

Sponsored

f150intally

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Crew 4x4 Platinum Trim
Other than the driving characteristics being diminished, is there any way to determine if your tune is overwritten? I'm running an MPT tune with SCT X4 tuner. I did disable automatic updates already.

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
This whole "pushing" of constant updates to cars is getting ridiculous. These aren't cell phones or apps that need constant tweaking. If you have an issue and an update may fix it, I'd prefer a dealer run it in the shop to make sure it works. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is a great way to screw things up and after a few of these OTA's, you'll start to lose track of which one nerfed your system up.

More to the point, does this mean Ford is keeping track of your tunes remotely, thus having the ability to reject warranty claims if they identify an aftermarket tune?

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
This whole "pushing" of constant updates to cars is getting ridiculous. These aren't cell phones or apps that need constant tweaking. If you have an issue and an update may fix it, I'd prefer a dealer run it in the shop to make sure it works. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is a great way to screw things up and after a few of these OTA's, you'll start to lose track of which one nerfed your system up.

More to the point, does this mean Ford is keeping track of your tunes remotely, thus having the ability to reject warranty claims if they identify an aftermarket tune?
I mentioned in the other thread that the ability to do firmware updates OTA has become like a drug to manufacturers. They cannot resist the urge to constantly monkey around with the system.
It's gotten to the point where the engineers are, ahem, "encouraged" to release updates and bug fixes that may not have been as fully tested and/validated as they should have been because "we can always fix it later". BTW, testing and validation are by far the most expensive elements of s/w development.
There's no direct evidence to support this, but a cynical guy (me) could be forgiven for believing that Tesla is using its customers and the public roadways to complete the develoment and testing of its autonomous driving system.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Anyone else have really odd 4-5th gear shifts after the update? Ford forced an update on mine and now it feels like it’s slipping between 4th and 5th gear. Nothing like this until last nights OTA update.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My 2021 PB Lariat never got an OTA update. Everything worked fine for what would have been 3 years in September. Just sold it!

FI300

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
In three years there has been one update that overwrote the PCM calibration and wiped out custom tunes. With all the improvements from the OTA updates in that time frame I good with havening to reload a new tune ever three years if needed. In all honesty I think the odds are extremely low of another OTA update overwriting the PCM calibration.

f150intally

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Crew 4x4 Platinum Trim
I spent the day at my buddy's shop Friday using FDRS to update my truck. The first update I applied was the PCM update that is wiping everyone's tunes. The ECU Strategy changed, and from what I understand, when that happens, it will overwrote the current tune. I had detuned my truck before applying the update. The guys at @MorePowerTuning requested for their customers to email the info when this happens. Hopefully I will here back from them after the long Holiday weekend.

Ford F-150 Tunes are getting erased by Ford 1000036862
Ford F-150 Tunes are getting erased by Ford 1000036794

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Why not just reinstall the tune file? There is only one file on the PCM. The strategy file.
Sponsored