First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 GMC 1500, 93 Mustang LX SSP
Occupation
Product Marketing
Ok, so anyone care to dumb this down for us old geezers?
Think of it as Forscan (kind of) for engine and transmission. You have the ability to either buy an MPVi device and tune your truck yourself, or you can purchase a RTD (remote tuning device) and pay a reputable tuner to create a tune for you.

You can alsofix simple things like speed/rev limit, speedometer calibration, etc
Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm no expert, but HPTuners is a well established tuning platform. Until now, they had not tackled the encryption that Ford used on the Gen14 F150 PCM.

I think Livernoise was the first to do so.
Recently SCT, another tuning platform similar to HPTuners, cracked the encryption.
And now HPTuners has.

Now the part of the answer that is just my opinion.......

Livernoise tuning is completely proprietary. You can get your vehicle tuned by them, and it might be a great tune, but you will never know what parameters they altered or how they accomplished the result.

SCT is a little less sandboxed because it is a platform (software) that you could learn to tune with personally, but for the most part there are a limited number of tuning companies that most just purchase their SCT tunes from. What that offers that Livernoise doesn't, is competition. And each tuner seems to have their own approach and the consumers can share their opinions and get tunes that match their preferences.

Then there's the news regarding HPTuners. And again, just my opinion.
There's a community of folks who purchase and learn about tuning on this platform. There lots of fellas that tune their own vehicles. Then there's tune sharing amongst enthusiasts with similar vehicles and goals.
And just like SCT, there's tuning companies with great tuner talent on their staff that use this platform. Thus my comment early in the thread about why I'm personally happy to hear HPTuners has entered the fray. Because it has that community, the knowledge base for our Gen14 and what makes it tick is fixing to come out from behind the veil. Up until now everything known about tuning and what's different compared to the Gen13 is like top secret. Lol

Having said all that, depending on how much has been "cracked" at this point, nobody knows how quickly these trucks will be figured out. It took a couple of years before the Gen2 3.5 Ecoboost and 10r80 transmission tuning became really mature and consumers had easy access to the most polished work.

Me personally, I just want the HPTuners gurus to figure out some really finite things that if/when they do, I might be willing to mess with the best truck with oem tuning that I have ever owned. We'll see. :)
Ok. I was thrown by the "OBDII tuning" talk. I thought all tuners loaded via ODBII port.

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
The tuners that have been released on the market so far, Livernois, SCT... require the plug-in underhood type tuning.

It sounds like HPT has figured out how to tune via OBD2 again, (tradional method). Sounds like you will first need to send them your pcm in order to do so though.

I've used SCT and HPT in the past, and found HPT to be far superior, with their ability and tuning devices. The Ngauge was revolutionary to me, i could monitor 6 live PIDS on it, and yes you could do the same on the sct x4, i've just always found them to be clunky. They work okay, i just prefer the ngauge.

That being said, i wouldnt be thrilled about sending my pcm off, but i probably would do it before i bought the $799 underhood tuning options using SCT.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The tuners that have been released on the market so far, Livernois, SCT... require the plug-in underhood type tuning.

The Ngauge was revolutionary to me, i could monitor 6 live PIDS on it.......
Ironically, the Ngauge still works as a PID monitor on the Gen14 Ecoboost/Powerboost. I was really disappointed to see it dropped.

My hope is that with HPTuners in the game, we will get one of the gurus to reveal the oil pressure pid properties?
It's the ONE PID that I haven't and can't replicate on my OBDLink monitoring system.
I'm old. I am programmed to monitor oil pressure.

Ford F-150 Big news: OBDII Flash Tuning Now Available For 2021-2022 F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L & 2.7L) and 5.0L -- by HP Tuners 20230428_113745

jamnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Chevrolet Dually, 1991 GMC Syclone
Occupation
Oil Field
I'm fairly new to the Ford game, but I started using HP tuners for the LS Platform around 04/05, I've only used it to tune the LS platform so I don't know what can be done with cam timing/phasing and things like that on the Coyote engines. I ordered my 23 F-150 due to GM not offering a RCSB truck with a V8, Ford is the only company offering a RCSB with a V8 anymore and it probably won't offer it for long, so I had to get something. Hopefully they do crack the 23 ECU soon so I can tune my truck.

I'm sure that the VE and timing tables will work like they do in GM ECUs. I've been in the racing community for many, many, many years and have friends that do tune 32V Ford engines using HPT so I'll be able to lean on them if they crack the 23 ECU.

For those asking, you can pretty much modify every engine parameter in the ECU using HPT. You can also add things like a 2 step, launch control, there is a lot you can do depending on how deep into the ECM HPT is able to get on the 21/22 Fords.

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Yea, once the HPTuners crowd join in, we find out way more about how something works.
I'm looking forward to the information.
Does hptuners allow use of a flex fuel sensor on ecoboost or access to the intercooler shutters on earlier trucks?

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Woo hoo. a new fun thread. I was getting board.

I think I will buy a spair engine.
Sponsored