TT GVWR question using WDH

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
I have a quick question trying to determine how much cargo capacity I have available. I had to adjust some content from my truck to trailer to keep within the 7350 GVWR of the PB. vehicles were loaded as we would travel for a typical 5 day trip, but I am planning a longer, 2+ week trip next summer and want to be a bit more self sufficient with additional food, water, coolers, etc.

My TT (26’ Winnebago Micro Minnie) has a GVWR of 7K lbs. when I went on the CAT Scales, with my WDH attached, below were my numbers:

Front: 3480
Rear: 3740
Trailer: 5100

Adding my 120lb wife in the truck should bring me right at GVWR of the PB.

So my question is (and I am assuming yes), do I have an additional 1900 lbs of cargo capacity available in the trailer (assuming I kept the PB within the 7350 GVWR by making WDH adjustments)? I am assuming so, even though the trailer would technically be over the 7K limit, but the WDH puts it less than the 7K limit, since the PB is carrying some of that weight.

I want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly. Thanks.
Sponsored

DD123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 2001 TC 2000 F350 PSD
e I am thinking about this correctly. Th
I'm no expert but I think your answer is maybe but not likely.
If you can load your trailer with the additional weight split equally and equal distance in front of and in back of the trailer axle then maybe.
Otherwise I think at some point you overload your WDH spring bars and can no longer distribute additional weight away from the rear axle of the truck.
My experience with a larger trailer and 1/2 ton truck is weight distribution over the trailer axles made a huge difference in what the WDH could enhance.
Experts would probably say I am wrong but I think think the hitch shifts weight to the front of the truck and maybe a little to the trailer. Wherever the weight goes you are moving tongue weight so trailer load distribution plays a role in the final answer.
Might be interesting to hear what your hitch dealer or hitch manufacturer say about this question.
Uprdate
After a little more thought I think splitting weight equally won't get you there. Weight behind the trailer axle will reduce tongue weight and weight in front of the trailer axle will add tongue weight. Both will add trailer axle weight but likely will require loading more behind the trailer axle to accomplish not adding tongue weight to the truck.
Easiest way to get there is if current set up works, set a yardstick at the top of the trailer ball then add load to trailer. Hitch goes up load on truck is lower. Hitch goes down load on truck is higher.
When you think you got it, test drive carefully.
Consult hitch people.

Last edited:

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
If you put a full 1900 lbs all across the floor of the camper, you'll probably be over GWVR on your truck by adding more tongue weight (but perhaps not by much).

The WDH doesn't make weight dissapear, it only redistributes it away from the rear axle. Your truck is maxed out already with an empty camper trailer (like most powerboosts).

Take what you need to but don't go nuts. As long as it pulls really nicely now with no sway, load it up over the axles of the camper and rearward.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The max payload option only adds an additional leaf spring over what is provided with the max tow option so the limitation in terms of payload is definitely not the axle but rather the leaf springs and the tires provided at the factory. Load ratings are a calculated value based on how the truck is equipped when it leaves the factory and does not factor in any changes made later by the owner.

My prior pickup had a payload rating of 2800 for the rear wheels and the AAM rear axle is rated at 11,000 lbs so the limitation was the leaf springs and the rear tires. I added a SuperSprings double leaf kit to the truck and changed out the 2700 lb rated tires for ones rated at 3750 per tire. I gained enough load capacity to put a 4,000 lb load in the bed and when I did the truck was completely level with zero sag at the rear.

I would focus on the total load on the rear tires with the trailer and WDH attached and if you have any worries then upgrade the tires to ones with a greater load capacity. In your case there is not anything to worry about. Sway control is more a factor and a good WDH should take care of this unless there is a defect with the trailer's suspension and wheels.

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I have a PB and the TT is not empty, but well stocked. The TT has quite a large payload capacity. I have zero issues towing, no sway and the setup is perfectly level. Technically, I think I have additional payload available in the TT and I can adjust the WDH to keep my PB Payload in check. I will call equalizer to get their input.

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I think there is a misunderstanding about the 7350 package....
It's my understanding that this means the frame of the truck has a thicker metal where it can handle a heavier weight. Some other trucks have thinner metaled frames and they get a 6600 or other numbered package rating...
@Snakebitten am I correct in this?

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I think the WDH is transferring weight from the rear axle to the front axle, and that shows in your front/rear numbers. More of your gear secured properly in your nice TT should do the trick. Everything in the bed/cab or on the truck(the hitch itself for example) counts 100% toward the 7350 limit. Everything in/on the trailer becomes additional tongue weight and counts 10-15% toward the 7350 limit.

You asked Snake but the PB does have a heavy duty frame.

I think having a tongue scale for the TT at home would be nice. Load it up for the trip and then see where you are on the tongue. Might help with load distribution before heading to the scales I don't know. It's all new to me. I've only used scales at the county dump lol.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
HammaMan is the F150 structural detective. I just review his findings and enjoy the warm and fuzzy it gives me about my turbocharged rolling power grid. :)

DD123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 2001 TC 2000 F350 PSD
I think the WDH is transferring weight from the rear axle to the front axle, and that shows in your front/rear numbers. More of your gear secured properly in your nice TT should do the trick. Everything in the bed/cab or on the truck(the hitch itself for example) counts 100% toward the 7350 limit. Everything in/on the trailer becomes additional tongue weight and counts 10-15% toward the 7350 limit.

You asked Snake but the PB does have a heavy duty frame.

I think having a tongue scale for the TT at home would be nice. Load it up for the trip and then see where you are on the tongue. Might help with load distribution before heading to the scales I don't know. It's all new to me. I've only used scales at the county dump lol.
You can eventually learn to work around not having a scale by eyeballing the set up. The trailer will make the rear bumper height lower and compress rear springs. Obviously don't want headlights pointing to the sky, rear springs fully compressed, or rear tires squatting. Maybe you can stand hitch height dropping 2 inches and tows fine maybe not. A little practice and it gets easier.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
What you will run out of is Payload, that number is on the yellow sticker drivers door jamb. So if your trailer weighs #5100 your max tongue weight at 15% is #765, hitch #100, and everything else you put in the truck and subtract that from the total payload allowed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the input. Certainly, a tongue scale would be nice, but I do not have one and don’t know of anyone that does. The truck and trailer are perfectly level, no sway. I think I will try the suggestion to load more into the trailer (coolers, ice, clothes, etc) and less in the truck (just me and my wife) and take it back to the scales. With a 10-15% tongue weight addition, I should be good on both. Thanks.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Thanks for the input. Certainly, a tongue scale would be nice, but I do not have one and don’t know of anyone that does. The truck and trailer are perfectly level, no sway. I think I will try the suggestion to load more into the trailer (coolers, ice, clothes, etc) and less in the truck (just me and my wife) and take it back to the scales. With a 10-15% tongue weight addition, I should be good on both. Thanks.
I’ll probably buy a tongue weight scale. I’m new to towing and I think it will help me understand the physics of weight distribution and payload etc.

They sell for less than $200, so it’s a pretty inexpensive training aid for me.

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
Check out the Weighsafe Aerohitch. For what it costs for some of the tongue weight scales, you can get a great adjustable hitch with the scale built in. It's probably not quite as accurate as a good tongue weight scale, but for what your're doing it's probably close enough.

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Check out the Weighsafe Aerohitch. For what it costs for some of the tongue weight scales, you can get a great adjustable hitch with the scale built in. It's probably not quite as accurate as a good tongue weight scale, but for what your're doing it's probably close enough.
An interesting concept, but does not help with most WDH applications. No way to use my equalizer WDH with it.
Sponsored