Sponsored

The PB's Franken-Frame and gimped GVWR sticker....

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Here I lay out the facts regarding the unique beast of a frame the powerboost possesses, while illustrating the case of the artificially limited GVWR, and therefore reduced rated payload capacity.

Ford's literature isn't in line with what the frame actually measures out to

My 145" PB (short bed, or is it shortest?) measures in at....
Material thickness .11" which is that of max length F150 frame (164")
Max frame box width measures at 4.4" (all non-raptor frames measure 3.6", raptor frame 6.6")
Height is the same for all at 9"

Using ford's own axle rating numbers (sum) as a function (%) of their GVWR on other trucks including the raptor and lessor trim trucks, I present the data. This is a modified list of the truck's axle pages removing about half of the trims including 2WD models. There's probably an error two, such is the likely outcome of juggling 4 other things at the same time. Do with this info as you will. I've placed a sticker over the payload of my truck raising it by 300lbs, or 95% of GCAWR. I'm already enjoying my new 1,782lb payload capacity. It's like a whole new truck :sneaky:

Ford F-150 The PB's Franken-Frame and gimped GVWR sticker.... GVWR
Sponsored

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
If it were only that easy

It's like those "Sport" and "4x4" stickers at Autozone that add 50hp each...

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it were only that easy

It's like those "Sport" and "4x4" stickers at Autozone that add 50hp each...
It's simply an informative piece for those who may be curious just what the capability and limits of the vehicle is and how it compares to others wearing the same badge. 1/2 ton and what seems to be all of the 1/2, 3/4, and some 1 ton truck specs are all over the place. I simply wanted to illustrate the variables at hand and the, let's say, unorthodox method for which they're derived.

In the accidents that we've seen with towing, it comes down to poor choices by the driver vs exceeding a vehicles ability. Some cases people do things to fold their frame in two. I was quite surprised to see 4.4" of frame in the powerboost whereas all other F150 frames besides the raptor have 3.5 x 9" boxes. The frames are neither uniform in overall size, nor of a basic enough shape to model for structural rigidity. It'd be nice if @Ford Motor Company would provide us with more information. I know a guy who knows a guy so maybe we can get an answer, and maybe even more details regarding the PB's structural engineering understanding and philosophy.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Max frame width is interesting. Minimum frame width is what matters.

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
what are we saying here. The powerboost payload is more than they are saying it is? I admire the amount of work that went into this for the record.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
what are we saying here. The powerboost payload is more than they are saying it is? I admire the amount of work that went into this for the record.
Unlikely since Ford uses one of two sets of springs on the F150 depending on tow package. Those being the standard 2 leaf or 3 leaf heavy duty sets.

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Max frame width is interesting. Minimum frame width is what matters.
Well no. Frames are engineered beams -- the max width section for the PB is directly in the center. The front needs only be strong enough for impact forces, the center needs the most reinforcement. Stresses are always greatest mid-point between support points.

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unlikely since Ford uses one of two sets of springs on the F150 depending on tow package. Those being the standard 2 leaf or 3 leaf heavy duty sets.
PB only comes with the HD towing package springs.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
If I recall, there are four different rear spring combos for the 2021's. Here is a chart listing them:

Ford F-150 The PB's Franken-Frame and gimped GVWR sticker.... springrates

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
No, they use substantially more than that. There's ~20 different spring sets for F150s

If I recall, there are four different rear spring combos for the 2021's. Here is a chart listing them:

springrates.png

These are the part numbers currently available for rear spring sets on the 21+ F150. Many of the earlier part numbers have been updated to the current versions. I checked across the XL, XLT, Lariat, and Raptor trim lines and they all list the same two part numbers.

ML3Z-5560-N Base payload, 3.0, 3.5 5.0 ltr. F-150. Base payload. 3.5l. 141 wheelbase. Mid payload upgrade pkg. 141 wheelbase. Rwd. Regular cab. Base payload. 5.0l. 157 wheelbase. Trailer tow max duty. (2 leaf Version)

ML3Z-5560-K F-150. Heavy duty payload. (3 leaf version)

https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2021-ford-f-150--lariat--3-5l-v6-gas/rear-suspension--rear-suspension

Sponsored

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

springrates.png
18 spring rates combined, plus countless versions including FX4 and CCD.

This brings total suspension configurations to something like 40+ part numbers

These are the front figures alone for spring rates -- this doesn't include the dampening options as well
Ford F-150 The PB's Franken-Frame and gimped GVWR sticker.... 1664901256111

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These are the part numbers currently available for rear spring sets on the 21+ F150. Many of the earlier part numbers have been updated to the current versions. I checked across the XL, XLT, Lariat, and Raptor trim lines and they all list the same two part numbers.

ML3Z-5560-N Base payload, 3.0, 3.5 5.0 ltr. F-150. Base payload. 3.5l. 141 wheelbase. Mid payload upgrade pkg. 141 wheelbase. Rwd. Regular cab. Base payload. 5.0l. 157 wheelbase. Trailer tow max duty. (2 leaf Version)

ML3Z-5560-K F-150. Heavy duty payload. (3 leaf version)

https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2021-ford-f-150--lariat--3-5l-v6-gas/rear-suspension--rear-suspension
The Max GAWR should cross-reference those four rear leaf springs options I think.

Ford F-150 The PB's Franken-Frame and gimped GVWR sticker.... ratings

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 spring rates combined, plus countless versions including FX4 and CCD.

This brings total suspension configurations to something like 40+ part numbers

These are the front figures alone for spring rates -- this doesn't include the dampening options as well
1664901256111.png
Those are front coils, not leaf springs.

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Those are front coils, not leaf springs.
The question is about GVWR and that's not solely a component of the rear springs, it's a component of all springs.

A weight distribution hitch by nature removes tongue weight from the rear axle and transfers it to the front. Any 'payload' front of the rear axle has a linear transfer of weight to the front suspension based on its distance delta between the front and rear axles.

Payload is therefore a function of all springs, not just the rear.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The question is about GVWR and that's not solely a component of the rear springs, it's a component of all springs.

A weight distribution hitch by nature removes tongue weight from the rear axle and transfers it to the front. Any 'payload' front of the rear axle has a linear transfer of weight to the front suspension based on its distance delta between the front and rear axles.

Payload is therefore a function of all springs, not just the rear.
Yup. This is what happens on monster long threads. ;-) I was responding to someone suggesting that there were only two leaf spring rates for 2021+ trucks. There are four.
Sponsored