Sponsored

Towing a 7,500 lb travel trailer w/o a WDH?

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Sister in law has her trailer parked at a seasonal site. It's gotta go in for warranty work so I may have to tow it in for her. It doesn't have a WDH attached to it. Approx 7,500 lbs & 30' long. I'd use my my hitch from my WDH but won't have a way to connect my bars.

About 18 miles of freeway @ 55 mph. Payload on my truck is 1,777 lbs w/ Max Tow. Supercrew longbed. Think it'll be okay for that journey? I'm worried about sway with not being able to connect bars.

I'm suggesting while it's in that they have a WDH set up on the trailer for future events like this even though it's just going to be parked full time. For a few hundred bucks probably worth it to be safe in the event it need to go to be serviced again.
Sponsored

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Had a similar question but a much greater distance (https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/towing-a-tt-one-time.16664/). The opinion is to get a WDH since the tongue weight is limited to 500 lbs when using a weight bearing vs weight distributing ball mount.

This sticker should be on your hitch (gotta crawl under). Photo credit to forum member Aron
Ford F-150 Towing a 7,500 lb travel trailer w/o a WDH? 1710517631056-bz

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
I wouldn't do it, personally. You'll be over the tongue weight and going on the freeway is asking for issues with the tail wagging the dog. With a WDH, sure, no problem.

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wouldn't do it, personally. You'll be over the tongue weight and going on the freeway is asking for issues with the tail wagging the dog. With a WDH, sure, no problem.
Yeah, if they had a WDH no problem.

Even if I had a 3/4 ton, I'd still prefer a WDH on a trailer like that.
Had a similar question but a much greater distance (https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/towing-a-tt-one-time.16664/). The opinion is to get a WDH since the tongue weight is limited to 500 lbs when using a weight bearing vs weight distributing ball mount.

This sticker should be on your hitch (gotta crawl under). Photo credit to forum member Aron
1710517631056-bz.png
Good point. Never thought about the factory hitch rating. I don't know the tongue weight of their trailer but it surely has to be more than 500 lbs.

mdn14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat PB SCREW
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Good point. Never thought about the factory hitch rating. I don't know the tongue weight of their trailer but it surely has to be more than 500 lbs.
10-15% of the weight of the trailer is the rule of thumb. So at least, bare minimum, 750 lbs. Likely more though since it is loaded up to "live" in.

The tongue weight estimate by TT manufacturers seems to come in low. Better off estimating 13-15% which brings you to 975-1125... WDH territory for sure.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Can you take back roads? The risk is that you're doing 55, an 18 Wheeler flies past at 75 causing you to start swaying. At that point, you have exactly one sway cycle to mash the trailer brakes or you're in the ditch with the illustrious "Why Am I Upside Down?" award from the 24 hours of Lemons.

Ford F-150 Towing a 7,500 lb travel trailer w/o a WDH? tenor

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I tow a 31' TT with a WDH. The day I brought it home the WDH was not adjusted for my truck and was doing basically nothing. I hauled it over 70 miles on the freeway. Granted, my trailer was about 5100 empty, but it wasn't a problem.

I don't see any issue with you doing it. And doing 55mph on a (relatively) smooth freeway would be less shock loading on the hitch than a lot of back roads which can be less than perfectly smooth, in places. I do see the concerns with sway, but again, I don't think it'll be an issue for such a short trip.

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but she'll pull.
Ford F-150 Towing a 7,500 lb travel trailer w/o a WDH? signal-2024-02-19-102333_004

Pic because I can

Reactions: 780
OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you take back roads? The risk is that you're doing 55, an 18 Wheeler flies past at 75 causing you to start swaying. At that point, you have exactly one sway cycle to mash the trailer brakes or you're in the ditch with the illustrious "Why Am I Upside Down?" award from the 24 hours of Lemons.

tenor.gif
No. I wish I could take backroads. Dealership is pretty much a 18 miles straight shot from the RV park. Secondary highway that turns into the freeway that the dealer is located on.

Secondary highway starts out undivided then turns into divided after a few miles.

I tow a 31' TT with a WDH. The day I brought it home the WDH was not adjusted for my truck and was doing basically nothing. I hauled it over 70 miles on the freeway. Granted, my trailer was about 5100 empty, but it wasn't a problem.

I don't see any issue with you doing it. And doing 55mph on a (relatively) smooth freeway would be less shock loading on the hitch than a lot of back roads which can be less than perfectly smooth, in places. I do see the concerns with sway, but again, I don't think it'll be an issue for such a short trip.

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but she'll pull.
signal-2024-02-19-102333_004.jpeg

Pic because I can
Good to know. I'm kinda guessing on the weight. Our 27 footer is 6,500 empty. Theirs is a few feet longer and has a back bunkroom where ours is a rear bath so taking a shot in the dark at 7,500.

It's empty as well. They cleaned everything out of it at the end of the season to try and deter mice from wanting to nest.

Not sure if there's is a 30 or 32 footer to be quite honest.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Good to know. I'm kinda guessing on the weight. Our 27 footer is 6,500 empty. Theirs is a few feet longer and has a back bunkroom where ours is a rear bath so taking a shot in the dark at 7,500.

It's empty as well. They cleaned everything out of it at the end of the season to try and deter mice from wanting to nest.

Not sure if there's is a 30 or 32 footer to be quite honest.

Mine is a 26RR and is 31' overall. Just sayin'

fatBatman

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 King Ranch
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole but I would touch it with a WDH.

What if it did sway? What if that little gust of wind on mile 5 swayed you ever so slightly into the next lane and you swiped a minivan full of kids driven by a "Karen". You'd be sued into oblivion and depending on where you live, you'd lose. Or, what if you hit nothing and just dip into a pot hole and have the shake of your life?

A WDH is just cheap insurance. If you have to do it once, chances are, you'll have to do it again. Just asking the question on here tells me that you think you should use one. If it seems like a good idea, it probably is one.

Cheers!

Sponsored

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A WDH is just cheap insurance. If you have to do it once, chances are, you'll have to do it again. Just asking the question on here tells me that you think you should use one. If it seems like a good idea, it probably is one.

Cheers!
To clarify, I use a WDH when I tow my own travel trailer.

Sister in law has hers parked on a seasonal site and doesn't have one installed. I may need to tow it to her dealer for warranty work.

I could use my hitch but would have no way of attaching my bars on her trailer.

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is having the dealership go pick it up an option? Have them install a WDH and you drive it back when repairs are done.
This is where my head is at. The dealer towed it out there when it was purchased.

I think that is the safest option.

I may be over reacting and that short drive could be fine but, I'm of the better safe than sorry camp.

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
This is where my head is at. The dealer towed it out there when it was purchased.

I think that is the safest option.

I may be over reacting and that short drive could be fine but, I'm of the better safe than sorry camp.
Maybe Im just getting old, but seems like it's not worth the headache.

belairbrian

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX
Maybe I'm looking at this to simply, but isn't all that is needed is a couple of brackets that match the OPs hitch for the tongue. That's what a $50-$60 cost and a little setup time.
Sponsored